Thread: Grouse near Skilak Lake?

Default Grouse near Skilak Lake?

My husband wants to try for grouse this weeked and we're looking at Skilak Lake. We understand it's only bow and arrow near the road but is there some other area we could try? Looking at maps it looks like we can boat across the lake and use the 410 there but after last weekends wind and how it made the lake dangerous, we're looking for alternate locations. Any help is appreciated.

Default Sent you a PM

Have a suggestion for you

Default PM message

I've been a lurker on the fishing forum for a while but this is my 1st post. I don't see a PM in my inbox, did you send one?

Try snug harbor road

Default hunting across Skilak Lake

Thanks for the suggestion.

Has anyone hunted across the lake? Any info is appreciated. We have a lab who will be doing all the "hard" work for us, lol!

this time of year boating skilak can be really tricky and dangerous...beside that, i wouldnt be surprised if theres not many grouse over there....there are also ALOT of bears.....try funny river road, swanson river road, the north side of the sterling highway near skilak lake refuge.

walk Mystery creek road the opposite side of sterling HWY. after you drive snug harbor you walk Russian lake trail or boat to the other side of cooper lake.

Sorry for taking the thread, but do you have to be Bow certified to hunt small game with a bow in this area. I know for a fact that there's a week training or something for big game but not sure about this. I've been on this road before and have seen a couple of grouse, so I wanted to buy a cheap bow and give it a try.

BTW, do try Mystery Creek. I saw about 10 grouse there last week, but only shot 4.

Thanks for any suggestions

Default Mystery Creek Rd

Where is this road located? I know it's on the penisula, I tried to find it a month or so, ago. No luck, I looked at every rd sign from the Y to Soldotna and never saw it. A little help, please.

If you are asking where mystery creek rd is i don't know the mile post how ever it is past upper jean lake on the right, lower Jean lakes on the left and a gravel pit. The road is on your right if going south. There is no sign and it is gated as it is the accesses to gas fields on the Kenai. you can walk the road and the gate is open for moose season so you can drive down it but is locked after the season is over, it my or my not be locked now. you can find the rd on Google maps

mystery creek trail is at the mile 64 marker post.