Thread: Who Deprimes as a Separate Process?

Default Who Deprimes as a Separate Process?

Why do I do it? Am I the only one?

No, you're not the only one. I deprime a bunch, then size a bunch and then throw them in the tumbler. Love those universal depriming dies.

You're not alone. When I'm loading quality instead of quantity, I complete each step of the process for all the loads in the batch before moving on. Helps my attention to detail, and I've never had a misfire when I'm working this way.

Default Been doing it for years

Especially if doing a batch of military cases or foreign cases. It just avoids any possibility of problems with undersized flasholes or obstructions in the flashhole or off center ones. I actually use a Lee depriming "rod" and a little brass hammer with a special board to hold the Lee depriming base. Sit in front of the tube and do it by feel. Of course, watching the news these days, I sometimes find myself banging on the thing harder and harder...

O god thanks I feel the love...I'm not alone...

Now who lines up their loads in the box and looks at them...all nice and shiny

Default Deprime

BPCR - deprime and then throw them in the ceramic media. Gets the primer pockets nice and clean along with the rest of the case

Tight Neck Rifles - Deprime while sizing with the Wilson neck die. clean primer pocket with uniformer

Hunting Rifles - Same but with FL die.

Handguns - same procedure as BPCR.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

I deprime separate, but just as a matter of convenience. I have a universal depriming die that I keep in and old Lee hand press - saves time changing out dies in my single stage.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    O god thanks I feel the love...I'm not alone...

Now who lines up their loads in the box and looks at them...all nice and shiny
    You guys are making me feel that I'm missing out on a special step of the process, as I have not deprimed separately. I might just have to give that a try. I do have an electric RCBS case-prep station that I use, and that has been a great purchase.

Now the part about lining-up the finished products and admiring my work...I'm with you there WildAK. I'll bring them in from the workbench in the garage to put on the coffee table in the family room for a day or two...even when I crank out several hundred with the Dillon.

Doc

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

just got a decapping die... and have mixed reviews of depriming first...

#1 I HATE the media in the flash hole ... there has got to be a better way... then a tooth pick or is there a media that does not plug up hte hole? we have nut shells in ours now.

but i do like looking at them all lined up
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    or is there a media that does not plug up hte hole? we have nut shells in ours now.

Ceramic Media
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Default Ultrasonic cleaner

I deprime them and then throw them in the ultrasonic cleaner. An exception is pistol calibers where I first run them thorugh the carbide die to decap and resize in one operation.

The ultrasonic cleaner removes all the crud - even in the primer pockets and flash holes when you decap them first. You won't believe all the crap left in the cleaner after you run a batch of even "clean" cases through. Even worse are tumbled cases - tumbled cases leave a lot of crud on the inside esp. on bottleneck cases like the .223.

An ultrasonic cleaner is one of the best things ever for the serious reloader and gun nut - they will clean like nothing else.

#1 I HATE the media in the flash hole ... there has got to be a better way... then a tooth pick or is there a media that does not plug up hte hole? we have nut shells in ours now.

Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I deprime with one of those little Lee punches, that way I can watch TV at the same time. Then clean the pockets and tumble. That way no dirt gets in my dies. The decapping pin in the die pushes out any media left in the flash hole. I have also started deburring the flash hole on all new brass. This has not helped groups but it seems to help with the amount of media that gets in the flash hole and makes using the depriming punch easier.

When I'm loading handgun stuff, like .45 and when i used to actaully own a 9mm, I did it all at once on a Dillon 650xl. I left that down in the states...

Only brought and old RCBS single stage (RockChucker maybe?). That and a turret press. I do all my single stage stuff in stages... de-prime it all, then clean it all, then prime it all by hand in a Sinclair priming tool. I do that while i'm watching (or listening) to TV. It's all touch, I touch feel the depth of the primer on every round just to make sure, though it really isn't that important with the Sinclair - the clearance is way to tight to let a high primer through.

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    I deprime them and then throw them in the ultrasonic cleaner. An exception is pistol calibers where I first run them thorugh the carbide die to decap and resize in one operation.

The ultrasonic cleaner removes all the crud - even in the primer pockets and flash holes when you decap them first. You won't believe all the crap left in the cleaner after you run a batch of even "clean" cases through. Even worse are tumbled cases - tumbled cases leave a lot of crud on the inside esp. on bottleneck cases like the .223.

An ultrasonic cleaner is one of the best things ever for the serious reloader and gun nut - they will clean like nothing else.
    Been looking into this. What brand do you have? How long does it take? Thought I could tell my wife it was for cleaning her jewelry :-)

I made a tool out of a small drill bit that i glued into a dowel. It works great for cleaning media out of a primer hole!

I get home from shooting, do a short tumble if the cases are dirty, resize and deprime, tumble off lube if used, trim if needed, then I put them in the ready to load bin.

I have a progressive but I still resize and deprime seperately from loading up.

Thumbs up me too...

I usually punch the primers out first.

I must be lazy I always put dirty cases in the media for a while then deprime in one step with the resizing. My media always gets in the flash hole so if deprime first then put it in the media I have to use a pick punch or pedrimer to get the little ****s out of the flash hole. I just use the sizer/ deprimer after cleaning and it punches out the primer and the media at once. Ceramic media you say. Where you I buy this it sounds much better than the red powder media I have that stains my hands as well as my brass and it gets all over my dies. **** i hate this treated crap and it is only barely better than plain old corn or walnut hulls.

My cases aren't picked up out of the mud so no need to tumble first.

I dump them all in a mixing bowl and give them a squirt of lube and mix them up with my hands like I'm mixing dough. I run a nylon brush with lube down about half the necks so they run over the sizer ball with low friction. The residual lube left behind lubes the other half just fine. High friction tends to move the shoulder out a .001 or .002 if you have to pull on it. I size and de-cap in one step in station 1 on the Dillon 550 B.

Once that's done I trim to length, de-burr the necks inside and out and do the flash holes and primer pockets if they haven't been done before.

Next they go in to the media tumbler while I clean up my work station and prep primers and bullets for loading. The tumbler gets the spent powder residue out and gets rid of the case lube.

Once I have the bullets counted out and the primers loaded in the tube I remove the brass and give a squirt or two with Simple Green. Then it's off to the sink for a rinse with the hottest water I can tolerate. Simple green is inert and doesn't react with the brass but it does leave the cases squeaky clean. Only about 30% of my case get media in the flash hole and a little pick does the trick

Once that's done I blow them out with compressed air to assure there is no water in the cases. The hot water helps, once drained they are practically dry because the heated brass evaporates most of the water.

I then prime in station 1 and put the brass in to a tray. I drop powder into a dummy round about .5gr short of my preferred load and dump into a scale and trickle up to desired amount. Then dump powder into prepped brass in station 2. Once all powder is dumped into prepped brass I seat bullets in station 3 and store.

Seems like a lot of crap but it's a hobby and time in the shop is well spent in relaxing my mind.

If I'm using ball or flake for target or pistol loads and the brass is prepped as described above then I just load into station 1 to prime and continue progressively.

I only do the long process is using extruded powder since the powder measure does a poor job with extruded.