Thread: What .17 HMR to get?

Default What .17 HMR to get?

Hi y'all

A .17 HMR would go so nicely with my new FoxPro Fury

Now there is the agony of choice

I am partial to Ruger, CZ, Anschuetz in .17 HMR. Those of you who shoot a .17 HMR, what make do y'all prefer?

Thank you!

If you are thinking of an Anschutz, CZ and Ruger dont belong in the same thought

Can't argue that the Anschutz is in a class of its own. If you have the cash they make excellent rifles. For my part I love my CZ 452 in 17 HMR. It is a fine little rifle for much less money than the Anschutz. I do not particularly care for the looks of the magazine jutting from the bottom of the receiver on the CZ, but other than that I have no complaints. It has an adjustable trigger, provides good accuracy and is a great feeling rifle. Pick the Anschutz if you can spare the cash, but the CZ will provide yeoman service if your budget will not allow the Anschutz.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    Can't argue that the Anschutz is in a class of its own. If you have the cash they make excellent rifles. For my part I love my CZ 452 in 17 HMR. It is a fine little rifle for much less money than the Anschutz. I do not particularly care for the looks of the magazine jutting from the bottom of the receiver on the CZ, but other than that I have no complaints. It has an adjustable trigger, provides good accuracy and is a great feeling rifle. Pick the Anschutz if you can spare the cash, but the CZ will provide yeoman service if your budget will not allow the Anschutz.

Pretty good advice. Currently own a Anschutz and a Cooper. Picked up the left hand Annie on Gunbrokers for just over $600 NIB. Used to own a Savage and couldnt get it to feed the first one correctly. Cooper did the same thing but Cooper fixed it free of charge and paid for shipping both ways. Never had a problem with the Annie. Each rifle is worth the money in my opinion, all depends on what you want to spend. Do some research here:
    http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php

Wealth of good information to help you make a good decision.
    Tennessee

I have the weatherby 17hmr made by anschuetz. I am entirely impressed by this rifle. It feeds well and is very accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    If you are thinking of an Anschutz, CZ and Ruger dont belong in the same thought

I think ur right there....."if u are thinking of an anchutz".....then i guess you didnt think about how much you could have saved on a rifle just as accurate for fraction of the price "in the same thought"

Love my CZ's but no way are they "just as accurate" as the Annies. Certaintly they are worth what they cost but they are in two separate leagues.
    Tennessee

for cripes sake....how much accuracy do you think ur gonna get buy going to an anchutz?? So ur telling me that my dirt cheap marlin bolt that was chambered in 17 hmr grouping 1/4 " groups at 100 yds. can be exceeded? by spending an obsene amount of money?? Bullcrap.........

1Cor, thank you for your eloquent words; that CZ 452 is a fine rifle indeed. Yesterday I saw the CZ 452 in .17HMR in SS with synthetic stock on a British gun site, I am waiting for CZ to get back to me with an answer pertaining its availability in the USA.

Snowwolfe, thanks for the link, that's a great source of info indeed! I see you bought a 1517 on gunbroker, good deal. I am also waiting for Great Northern Guns to provide me with a quote for an Anschuetz 1717.

Seant, that's an elegant looking rifle you have there, does it have an open sight?

Im going to get picked on a little for saying this, but I am running a standard Savage model 93 with a bull barrel and 3x9 scope. I can put rounds through the same hole at 100 yards with it. Not bad at all for the 300 that i put into it.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    for cripes sake....how much accuracy do you think ur gonna get buy going to an anchutz?? So ur telling me that my dirt cheap marlin bolt that was chambered in 17 hmr grouping 1/4 " groups at 100 yds. can be exceeded? by spending an obsene amount of money?? Bullcrap.........
    It's not just the accuracy. It's the precision craftsmanship and attention to detail in the rifle as a whole that puts the Anschutz in its own class.

Im going to get picked on a little for saying this, but I am running a standard Savage model 93 with a bull barrel and 3x9 scope.
    So am I, but I have to replace the trigger on mine before it'll shoot to its potential. I wouldn't have to do that with an Anschutz.
    Now what ?

you wouldnt have to replace the trigger on the new savages......best deal around on a 17 rimfire IMO....

Guys, I love Savages and still own a .22 mag and a .223, both are tack drivers. Own a CZ as well and it's also a tack driver. Can't say anything about the Marlins because they are not made in left handed. Browning also makes some very nice rimfires. But there is a point in one's life where accuracy is not the only quality that is looked for. I do not consider myself a snob nor am I rich by any stretch of my imagination but like stevelyn mentioned the precision worksmanship learns to be appreciated. My collection of rifles used to be very large but over the years has shrunk but the quality of craftsmanship has went up.

I guess my fetish in firearms centers around rimfires because they are cheap to shoot and you do not have to reload or chase brass. Once you handle, cycle the bolt, and shoot a high quality rimfire such as a Annie or Cooper you will know what I am talking about. Kinda like when you cock a Freedom Arms revolver which simply oozes fine craftsmanship. If you guys have Savages that will shoot 1/4 groups at 100 yards or have one that will shoot thru the same hole at 100 yards you have my respect!
    I've owned three 93's and while they were good shooters I was never lucky enough to own one that would shoot even close to 1 inch at 100 yards.
    Tennessee