Thread: Pics of my remote staking experience.....

Default Pics of my remote staking experience.....

I figured i'd post a thread of my experience staking out a remote parcel of property. I'm hoping that it will give most a clear answer to what was involved....what worked well, and what didnt. Let me say that half way into the initial hump......I lost all enthusiasm. I set out on beginning day in august.....when everybody else usually waited till everything was frozen. It took two full 18 hour days to hike all the tools chainsaw and supplies to "the place"(with hip waders on). My pack weighed in @ 123 lbs., I had just graduated from Moutaineering school a month before so was physically ready when the time came to put some miles on the feet.

I'll never forget when I got that yellow packet in the mail. I recieved the letter signed the state officials stating that I was an authorized staker. It was a very exciting day. I first started by studying all the usgs maps of the area very very closely......I observed where existing property already existed. I then packed ultralight and spent an entire week cheking these possible staking sites. I finally found that "place" and I fell in love with that piece of land. It had everything.....remote lake, a beaver ****ed stream with grayling, suckers, and whitefish. It had the highest elevation on the whole lake and better yet......SOLITUDE! There was nobody there.
    So once the legal day had opened.....I was ready with everything I needed and set out by truck, then by canoe.....and finally.....by foot. I had really wished that I payed to have a float plane drop me but oh well.....keep it cheap right? My only major issue with my propety is the fact that I saw some of the biggest grizz tracks and bear scatt everywhere on the back side of my property.......and apparantly.....ol grizzy aint scared of a chainsaw because I got within 30 ft. of a big un before I even noticed....and i had run my chainsaw 5 minutes before that brushing a line. here are some pics. One is the view from my building site, the other is how much ice there was where i cut for water....this was in October....crazy ehhh!?

Attached Images Attached Images

Default Part two:

My property is a full 20 acre parcel and is an almost perfect retangle. I was able to do this using a lensatic compass. You cannot do this with a gps.....it just aint happening. I did use a gps to track my trail and mark my four corner posts as a way point and BAM! it looked perfect when i looked it over on my gps. I'm going to list my tools, food, and equipment used on this august stake out three years ago. the next post will cover staking technique so your parcel dont look like some funky, inbred parallagram.

Kelty Redcloud 6,500
    Msr Pocket Rocket
    Msr Aluminum Pot kit
    Msr Folding Spatula
    Msr titanium fork and spoon
    Msr coffee cylinder (lil cylinder with screen walls)
    Msr Titanium Cup
    *All this fit in the cook kit pots perfectly
    three fuel canisters (all diff brands....which ever brand was on sale)
    Thermarest pad
    Army three layer bag with gortex bivy
    Gerber camp ax
    358 Browning rifle
    50 handloaded bear bullets (250 grain speer hot cor)
    Pack fly rod (eat grayling along the way)
    Lac crosse hip wader hikers ( thank god for these!)
    North face moutaineering pant (nylon/2pr.)
    smart wool socks
    45 sig saur (all i had)
    Husqvarna Chainsaw w/ 16 in. bar (nice n lightweight ball of fury)
    2.5 gallons of premixed gas
    3 oregon chains (dont use the stock chain....dangerous...ill explain why later)
    chainsaw tool
    extra spark plugs
    * I didnt wast time sharpening chains...i would pull the dull one off and put on the new one.....was good for flagging and brushing the full 20 acres.
    lensatic military compass (the best cuz of the crosshair)
    Garmin legend hc (for marking conerposts and traking boundary trails)
    Tarp
    Orange marker paint
    Orange and green tape /3 roles each
    One 200 ft. speed tape
    Penobscot 17ft. old town canoe
    machete
    200 ft. 550 cord
    4 pieces of galvonized sheet metal cut to size of a liscense plate (for corner posts)
    first aid kit
    katadin water filter

Food items:
    Dozen eggs cracked into a nalgene bottle
    12 potatoes
    full bag of kodiak flap jack mix
    lb. of cheddar cheese
    two frozen steaks
    smoked salmon
    dryed moose meat
    powdered milk
    old fasioned irish oats
    flour/ cornmeal (grayling/whitefish)
    1 lb. butter.

Default Part three:

1. I used the 200ft. speed tape to mark my max allowed lake frontage
    2 I set my two front conerposts on my cove
    3. Shot an azimuth across my cove from one corner post to the next.
    4. I made a 90 degree angle change and walked this azimuth into the woods....... brushed and measured the distance and kept a log of it in my notebook
    5. MOST IMPORTANT: I would use the cross hair of my compass to mark a tree that intersected with the crosshair and I would cut to that point. Put my back to the other side of that tree.....and do it again.....always measuring the distance after I was done brushing.
    6. I went to the other lake front corner post and did the same thing....cutting until my max measurement was made.
    7. I cut this brushline about 250 ft. further back so I would have some room for error
    8. I walked back to the end of the original brushline which wasnt cut 250 ft. further back.
    9 I made another 90 degree angle change with the compass (note...I am now at the same azimuth as on the lake front again)
    10. Then I finally finnished the back brushline cut and marked it with the fourth and final corner post. Where it intersected on the longer brushline.
    11. I then walked the whole property border with a gps and marked all the cornerposts as waypoint. this was very important as a reference for BLM as i printed it out for the BLM folks.
    MAKE SURE YOU SET YOUR GPS FOR MGRS ALASKA DATUM or some crazy crap like that. It needs to be reset for that so they can use the grid coordinates for their system.

one more pic: it came out a lil blury....think the cold affected it. I set the camera on timed setting and jumped right back in the sleeping bag till coffee was ready to warm me up. it was 8 degrees that morning.....never thought it would get that cold in mid october

Attached Images Attached Images

Home Sweet Home....I hope you have many years to enjoy your place and a Grizzly Bear hide for every bedspread. Thanks for your insights!

Default Mainer

Nice looking ground, where is it located?
    BK

A familiar process. Then start clearing using a weed whacker with Beaver blade and a chainsaw. Build a cabin. Build an outhouse. An addition on the back of the cabin. A shed. A addition on the side of the cabin. And addition on the shed. Another shed. Another addition on the other side of the cabin. An addition on the outhouse. Refine and refine some more.

The last nail is never pounded. I've enjoyed every part of the process. I hope you do the same!

gotta head to bed but I will continue posting as much info as i can along the way. i'll post some more pics and info tomorow and discuss tree species and why they are so important when you look for land. many prob. already know. more tomorow............

oh yeah....if u notice.....no pics of my august flag/stake/brush. I forgot the CAMERA! that's why i had to go back out in october after recovering from a broken rib in september to take pics......cuz blm needs em for the bible's worth of info they require for the lease application.

canoeing in october......kinda cold.......and a beaver had chewed my front conrer posts down because my dumb arse made em out of apsen/poplar.....so they were missing when i got there. they were chewed down to lil nubs all the way to the rock pilings mischevious lil bugger. my neighbors are weird. especially the fox who followed me the whole way......but looked like an overgrown fox bout the size of a yote....he was real dark too. ooops....broke the law....i fed him.....i couldnt help it.......more to follow tomorow.....especially bout waking up in the night to something large near the shore......that woke me out of a dead sleep.....spooky stuff being by urself that far in the woods

Default October?

When and where was this?

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    When and where was this?
    who wants to know?..........

give yah a hint........ to the west and north of second hill.......slightly south of Gulkana River/west fork.

Thumbs up more

OK, you're got me tuned in and waiting for the next installment. Thanks, real interesting and I like the detail and pictures.

My only two surprises so far are: 2 firearms and 50 bullets? Seems a bit heavy?

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    OK, you're got me tuned in and waiting for the next installment. Thanks, real interesting and I like the detail and pictures.

My only two surprises so far are: 2 firearms and 50 bullets? Seems a bit heavy?

What can I say.....I like to target practice a lil I also used the 45 to shoot rabits and spruce grouse along the way. By the time I got to my property.......I had 4 rabbits and 3 grouse. Could have prob. cut back on the ammo though ehh? But really.....I slept with the 45 in my sleeping bag as I felt the rifle might not be handy enough under certain scenarios.....even though it'd prob. be worthless....it was better n nothing.

Is there an advantage to staking land instead of just purchasing an existing parcel? I mean, you still have to purchase it at fair market value, right? Is it just the experience of staking your own piece of property that appeals to people?

Quote Originally Posted by Corn View Post
    Is there an advantage to staking land instead of just purchasing an existing parcel? I mean, you still have to purchase it at fair market value, right? Is it just the experience of staking your own piece of property that appeals to people?

Gonna get a 20% once in a lifetime veterans discount.....plus.....I got to CHOOSE where my property was.....good nuff reason??

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Gonna get a 20% once in a lifetime veterans discount.....plus.....I got to CHOOSE where my property was.....good nuff reason??
    Great Thread, thanks for the photos. Some things in life are worth doing because they add to one's sense of self worth, and the experience of having done something worth doing. To have a Dream, and to manifest the dream for yourself, your family and Great, Great Grandchildren. To live a life worth living.........Well done.

OK you've piqued my interest. A friend pointed out your thread as an instructional "How-to". Now Granted, I'm in the lower 48, in Kentucky. But say I wanted to do what is being done here. How much " capital" would I need to get started in moving to Alaska and what is "fair market value/acre? If I'm being too nosy just say so and I won't be offended. I just know nothing about your life and ways in Alaska and am interested to say the least. I still don't know how y'all deal with the cold! Feel free to laugh at this "Southerner"!! Oh BTW I'm a Vet also,which is why I am so interested.

good many of us are up here because we wanted to live our dreams. fair market value is "to be determined". they dont tell yah right off the bat. they go by area, access, view (mountains etc.), water frontage....all that mumbo jumbo. Gotta be a resident to be able to stake. Sell all ur fluff.......get a small 4 or 6 cylinder truck, keep all ur tools n gear.....and come on up whenever you feel like it. many have come to AK with what they had on their back............and nothing more. Don't fear the unknown.........explore it. I live on "Native time". I aint much of a "by the book" planner......I just go with the flow of the river of life.

Whare to look for information on land.
    http://dnr.alaska.gov/

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    who wants to know?..........

give yah a hint........ to the west and north of second hill.......slightly south of Gulkana River/west fork.
    What year did you stake? I did mine this year and they said they don't want people to brush as much as they used to. They basically just want to be able to see from one flag to another. They want it flagged every 20 feet or so. I was glad to hear this because it was pretty easy to do after I found my location. Well ok... looking back it was easy but at the time it was a lot of work (sometimes our minds block out the bad stuff.) I did it all on foot too. Great experience but lots of work.

I guess yours looks a lot thicker brush than what I have. I didn't have to cut much at all. In fact I only fired up the chainsaw for my cornerposts. I used a machette for the rest.
    That's what she said...

I was mistakened.......It has been 2 yrs 2 months (shorter than I thought). I staked out in August 2007, I'm in some pretty thick woods.....i went around the big trees. I never cut anything but small and medium brush.

Cool stuff. Thanks for the write up!