Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sheep hunter trapped in gorge

Default Sheep hunter trapped in gorge

I didnt see this posted??

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/matsu/story/945226.html

PALMER --
    A sheep hunter who followed his kill after it fell into a gorge couldn't get back out and had to be rescued over the weekend, according to the Alaska Air National Guard.

Troopers say Palmer resident Jason Stanton called his family Saturday to report he was in a gorge near Knik Glacier but had adequate provisions to last the night, and that he thought he could get out the next morning.

On Sunday, however, Stanton was unable to get out and called for help, troopers said. The Guard got the call at 12:50 p.m. and deployed an HH-60 Pave Hawk carrying pararescuemen from the 212th Rescue Squadron.

The Guardsmen hoisted Stanton up to the helo and brought him to safety, though he had to leave his sheep behind. Stanton reported no injuries.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I heard talk about this, but heard he had to leave all gear involved with his hunt. Bummer.

Lost a friend along the Haines highway like that. He went to get his goat and fell in a shale slide.His body could not be retrived and you could see him there while driveing past untill the snow fell. He was a very good young man in great shape with a new wife,God bless his soul.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    you could see him there while driveing past untill the snow fell. He was a very good young man in great shape with a new wife,God bless his soul.

Sorry to here.

That's very unfortunate to hear a story like that, but one that happens nearly every year here in Alaska.

By the way...it's policy that when rescued, only the person is rescued, his or her gear is left behind. The priority is the person.

Default Curious?

Does this guy get a "rescue bill" from the troopers on top of loosing his sheep and gear?

Nope. In general, you are not charged for rescues by the Troopers or the military.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Does this guy get a "rescue bill" from the troopers on top of loosing his sheep and gear?
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Nope. In general, you are not charged for rescues by the Troopers or the military.
    Unless of course you get picked up by any sort of fire/rescure/lifeflight operation - then it's not free

My dad racked up an $11k flag drop and another $175/mile for his 6 broken ribs.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

It's considered training for the National Guard. These rescues provide "real world" training opportunities for our Guardsmen who use their skills while deployed in a combat environment.

In 2008, the Alaska National Guard saved 167 lives. The Guard was credited with 79 saves and 10 assists in Alaska, in addition to 72 saves in Afghanistan and 16 on the Gulf Coast while administering hurricane support to Texas and Louisiana.

It doesn't cost the tax payer any extra money as they will fly these missions using training dollars anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish View Post
    It's considered training for the National Guard. These rescues provide "real world" training opportunities for our Guardsmen who use their skills while deployed in a combat environment.

In 2008, the Alaska National Guard saved 167 lives. The Guard was credited with 79 saves and 10 assists in Alaska, in addition to 72 saves in Afghanistan and 16 on the Gulf Coast while administering hurricane support to Texas and Louisiana.

It doesn't cost the tax payer any extra money as they will fly these missions using training dollars anyway.
    In 1991, the Alaska Air Guard took over civilian rescue missions from the active duty Air Force. They are statewide and do assist the USCG when requested.

They have done a excellant job to which I want to say THANK YOU!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default Left the Sheep Behind

Will the hunter receive a ticket for want/waste since the sheep wasn't recovered?

that is a shame! This is ALASKA it will KILL YOU!
    Semper Fi!

Default Animal

Assuming he cannot get back to retrieve the sheep, do the Troopers charge him with wanton waste? I've heard of this happening before.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

In 1987 i think there was a guy that fell into Troublesome creek up at Lake George. My wife (girlfreind at the time) wanted to get a moose and we were camped close to where some goat hunters were. my buddy wanted to hunt with us but this was our first spend the night so i parked him on the other side of the valley. After we got down the mountain we were sitting around the fire and a guy strolled into camp. He said that he and his buddy were up on the mountain and his buddy shot a goat and it fell into the gorge. He went after it and fell into the gorge. He thought that he had seen him wave that he was ok. I told him to get a sleeping bag and supplies and meet me back at the plane after i checked on my buddy. We hopped in the cub and flew the gorge til dark. I did not see him or the goat and there was no way to walk down the gorge. My wife lit the fire pots so we could land. I told the guy if his buddy did not show up tonite let me know at first light and i would get help. Around 9AM the guy strolled into camp,3hrs after light we thought the guy made it back. That was not the case and i called the troopers. They showed up at 11AM in the choper. The pilot said a bad storm was on the way. We flew out and could not make it back for 3 days to pick up my buddy and his moose. I kept in contact with the troopers and air taxi and as far as i know they never found the guy or goat as far as that goes we never heard a shot and we were right there.

The land and weather are more danger than all the bears and moose combined and thats what makes the state so great,the power of it all.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    In 1991, the Alaska Air Guard took over civilian rescue missions from the active duty Air Force. They are statewide and do assist the USCG when requested.

They have done a excellant job to which I want to say THANK YOU!
    Add my THANKS!!!!! to that list.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I guess this is one of the risks of hunting Solo...(gotta have risk management)

Default sheep hunter trapped

Just to let everyone know, the guy went back in with a technical climber and gear to retrieve the sheep and gear. Everybody and everything now home safe and sound. That is a determined person.

Randy

Good for him!

Tell him to sign on and post pics/details.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast