Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kenai Updates

Default Kenai Updates

I'm just checking to see how the Kenai has been fishing for Rainbows lately? I'm heading down in two weeks, but still just curious how people are doing. Thanks for any updates, can't wait to get down there again.

Quote Originally Posted by snowcamoman View Post
    I'm just checking to see how the Kenai has been fishing for Rainbows lately? I'm heading down in two weeks, but still just curious how people are doing. Thanks for any updates, can't wait to get down there again.
    Im fishing it this weekend. lv2fish87 aka jose on here fished it last week. Said it had slowed down but fish are being caught. I noticed 2 weeks ago that the rainbow to dolly ratio was starting to change. There were so many dollies in the upper the 2nd and 3rd week of Sept it was unreal. It was like 20 to 1 for me. Big fat puffer fish dollies for sure. So we are gonna throw some flesh at them, some beads, and probably some ESL's and see what we can do. I will post a report sunday night when we get home.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default Kenai

A couple of us walked into a spot on Sunday and did pretty well. Good mix of dollies and rainbows with quite a few big fish.

Default Thanks

Thanks for the updates guys, I love to hear how people are doing down there. I'll be fishing Skilak to Bings mostly, unless the fish are elsewhere and we need to move. I'm loaded with all the beads, flesh, ESL's for an army, so we'll see how it goes. Even have a buddy with driftboat and kicker, so we'll have time to fish it pretty hard.

Default Wed

Went out yesterday with 2 other guys, fished from 8-4 caught about 12 a piece, biggest being a 24" dolly. Check the pic post for a picture. Fishing was pretty spotty, although 45sec after we launched the boat I caught a dolly haha.

What section of the river is proving to be the most productive right now? I've never been from Sportsmans to Skilak. Is this something worth checking out this late in the season, or will they mostly be in the middle section from Skilak to Bings? Seemed like last year all the guides were going straight to this section (Skilak to Bings). Are there many/any Pinks around this year? Last year is was just packed with those "Living Dead" models. Thanks for any further information.

Default Pinks-even years

A few sockeye are still spawning, but most are dead and floating--flesh is the key. The pinks come in the even years. Tight lines!

Default Evens 4 Pinks

That's right..Pinks on the evens. I don't have to worry about that issue here in Fairbanks, no Pinks around. So flesh is the hot menu item lately down there? Flesh with a bead above it? I'll try whatever is working. Thanks for the current tips, I'll have 4 days to find out what works.

Im heading down in about 30 minutes. Plan is Beads and flesh between the 5 of us. If that does not work plan b ESL's and C-4. We just doing sportsmans to Jims today but will give it a good work out. Will shoot a report out tonight when we get to the cabin and give you the scoop.

Default You're the Man Chuck

AlaskaChuck,
    You're the man, I appreciate the updates. I'm getting all the gear out today and rigging things up for quick river readiness.

Anybody been on the Middle lately???

Today the middle looked like it does around Eagle Rock the third week of July especially the area from Rainbow Alley down to the swan sign. A few boats to say the least. Trout are not quite as bitty as they were a few weeks ago but still some nice fish being caught if you put your time in.

N ****!? I'm not surprised in all actuality. I heard there were some nice fish being caught and the weekend is typically slammed on the Middle. Hopefully the weekdays will be quiet so when I commence my two weeks off it's not like coming home to king season. Thanks for the update, iceblue.

I posted a report in the fishing thread

middle river was pretty tough trout fishing this weekend, but the wind made it next to impossible to fish the braids or rainbow alley... super hole and the upper killey produced some fish, but it definitely got much tougher since the sockeye are mostly all dead now. caught all our fish on flesh, nothing on beads. it's amazing how fast the trout turn off when the sockeye spawn isn't there anymore. It's possible that they're all concentrated in the braids, but I'm not so sure about that, hard to know for sure since windy/gusty conditions made a decent drift very difficult.
    FYI - all flesh flies are not created equal. we caught ~19 of our 20 trout on 1 fly... the only one we had of this particular color (not telling), and just a shade off didn't produce anything. If you're heading to the Kenai, be creative in your flesh colors.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Default Yesterday

My friend and I hit it yesterday with Jason from Drifter's lodge; have to say he's one of the best - heck of a guy.

Fishing was sporadic and it was carcass island that produced the best. Boat of four pulled in a few fish but it wasn't hot. Looks like they have already lit for the lakes. Nice mix of dollies and 'bows. A few tomatoes hanging around the edges; one silver and some late reds. Rumor was that a couple of slightly blushed silvers were caught the day before.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Went to the middle yesterday with a couple of people. Caught our limit of silvers right off the roll and they were all nice bright fish with scales falling off and all but one had sea lice on it. Seems to be slower than a week ago but still pretty good silver fishing. The silvers must be charging up the river and going farther up the Kenai then the area around Bings as we have been getting nothing but really fresh silvers for the last few weeks. Have not tried fishing the silvers up by Skilak so maybe they are slowing down once they get past the Killey.

Trout fishing is still just "okay" We caught some on beads and some on flesh. Best before the area had been hit by a bunch of boats as I think that the trout are becoming sensitive to the boat traffic. After lunch we fished from the Moose down to around Funny River and had a pretty good time. Shallow & rocky area for sure but interesting to see only one other boat while we were out and it was a Sunday. The trout fishing, well, we did catch a fish or two. I will say that it was better fishing than the middle but not red hot or anything like that.

Default Map

Sounds easily fishable, just slower than last year when I went down. The fresh silvers sound good though for sure. You guys have all of these names for holes and locations on the river, but I have absolutely no clue where those would be. Does anybody have a map, even hand-drawn with some locations and hole names for me? I have a google earth map that I marked up with some holes from last year after my trip down, but I don't know any "official" names for the holes. Looks like I gotta bring some fleshy matials and stuff to match the flesh hatch if it comes to that.

Default ditto.

yea... was just thinking the same thing... I live in seward and work on the saltwater all summer but am enjoying fishing the Kenai in the fall, though I dont know the names of all the holes like the locals do.

Default Maps

I'd love for a local to take the time and make up a Google Earth map with Pins showing the "correct" name of spots on the river. Or, if somebody would even give the GPS coordinates for holes and names so I could put them into Google Earth and print out my own map. If nothing else, to help tell people where the fish were hitting and help somebody out. It's pretty much the "middle section" and "shoals" for names I know on the river.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast