Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 Polaris……

Default 2010 Polaris……

Crew or the 6x6? I’ve been waiting to pull the trigger on the Mudd Ox, but now I’m leaning back towards the Ranger (Crew or 6x6).
    The Crew would fit my family of 5 for fishing, hunting and camping trips, but the 6x6 looks unstoppable. I’ve always gotten good input from here, what do you all think?

IMO the crew has a place, but not in the backcountry of Ak. Too easy to get it high centered and stuck. The 6x6's are an amazing vehicle. They ride MUCH better than anything with four wheels and get around many times better as well. If you go off trail at all, the 6x6 is the only way to go short of an argo or mudox.

You'll find yourself limited with the capabilities of a crew, the wheelbase is too cumbersome. I personally have been eyeballing the 6x6's simply because both rears are now A-Arm so you'll get much better clearance than the pre-09's. That being said, you'll have better options for rear tires whereas before you were stuck to a 26" max.

I'd do it in a heart beat. slightly larger cargo box, sidehilling and hillclimbing capabilities - stability all around.

I wouldnt say the 6x6 outrules or rides better than a 4x Ranger Anyone here that has been out with me knows what mine is capable of, and in most cases folks have been pretty **** impressed, all things considered. I know 2 guys with 6x's and they'd ride shotgun in a 4x anyday. Perhaps a different breed with the new rear suspension, though.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Go with the 6x6 and rig up a seat in the bed. Best of both worlds
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default pm 1S1K

1S1K just got a new 2010 6x6 and has taken it out 3-4 times he can give you the real deal on what it's like. So far he says it's BAD *****

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Go with the 6x6 and rig up a seat in the bed. Best of both worlds
    I really can't believe how many guys I see runnin around with a ford ranger bench seat ratchet strapped to the box, facing backwards.

I'm not much an advocate for such a setup, if you have the $$ for a ranger, a full rear cage and seat won't kill the bank..their $1k. Cheaper than a funeral.

My .02.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

you are not limited to 26" on the new 6X's...you can easily get 28" on there.....they are so much more capable than last years 6x's....I'd love to sell my 2008 so I could get a new one...lol
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    I really can't believe how many guys I see runnin around with a ford ranger bench seat ratchet strapped to the box, facing backwards.

I'm not much an advocate for such a setup, if you have the $$ for a ranger, a full rear cage and seat won't kill the bank..their $1k. Cheaper than a funeral.

My .02.

I've got a dual seat setup for the bed of my Sportsman 6x6 (a piece of ply wood cut to fit and two fish-on boat seats mounted on pedestals). Total cost of my setup.....about $15 (for the two pedestals on sale at Wal-Mart...I already had the seats).

The terrain that I take my kiddos on using this setup would be nearly impossible to roll the machine over on and I'm never traveling at speeds that would be conducive to accidents.... If someone wants to do some crazy driving, this would not be a good setup, but for the average family outing it works really well.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default From a current owner of the 2010 Polaris 6X6

IMO the ride is so superior to the 4X4 Ranger that it's really a no brainer to get the 6X6 if you're going to get a Ranger at all. However, the 6X6 is also not going to be a "sporty" as the 4X4 Ranger. But, if you're looking for all around trail sloggy the 6X6 is so smooth you can go 20-25 mph over tundra, tussocks and not spill your coffee. The 6 wheel independent suspension, lenght, and extra drive train make the 6X6 unbelievably smooth riding.

Since they upgraded the front end to the 09 style the steering is like power steering compared to the old style Ranger 6X6.

One caution; Polaris does issue a cape with the Ranger 6X6 and thus you will feel "superman" like invincibility and will most likely get it stuck in a spot where you would have never taken a rig without you're cape. I've had mine stuck at least 4 times now. If you get a Ranger 6X6 realize that your buddies will now want you to test the depth of every mudhole with your rig. They do not float!

This is my first Ranger so I cannot compare the power to anything else. Except to say that I think it's fine. There is good pedal to engine response and the shift is seemless.

I bought mine from Big Lake PowerSports and took it home with ITP 589's 27x9X12 fronts and 27X11X12 rears. I was told that 28's would fit, but in the front, at max turn they would rub a bit and at max suspension compression there might be some rubbing. I opted to go with biggest tire upgrade I could get without have to cut, lift, or modify stock reliability. Besides the difference between 27's and 28's is a 1/2" ground clearance, but a whole lot more mods to make them work without ANY issues.

So far the 800 IMO is a gas pig. I've probably put on 200 miles so far since picking it up Labor Day weekend and I'm averaging about 5 mpg. Maybe 6 mpg if I take it real easy and pay super attention to only using L and AWD when I need to. The H range is actually pretty Low and the handbook says to only use L when going less than 7 mph or towing heavy loads. I've found that you can put it in H even towing a 600 lb meat trailer and it runs fine. The only time I've noticed that H was not right was getting into think trail mud (not bottomless), but soupy conditions, and long pulls up a hill.

I just got back from a weekend at Eureka last weekend. Took the Ranger all the way to monument and back. Encountered everything from hard pack trail, to mud, to steep hill climbs, to high elevation.

6X6 versus Crew. IMO you cannot beat the 6 wheel drivetrain so I'd look at a 6X6 with some type of full rear cage and aftermarket seating to accommodate additional passegers.

Alright this has been long enough. Pm me with questions or just post them here and I'll try to answer. I'm not a gear head so I can't break the thing down to the molecular level. I'm a gas and go kinda guy and if something breaks a mechanic takes care of it for me.

Here are some links to trips I've taken with the Ranger so far. Going out this weekend and will post those pics/vids when I get back.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...1&l=9229859bf4

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...1&l=ba87fd8482
    Last edited by 1S1K; 10-01-2009 at 17:03. Reason: Figuring out how to attach a video file

Default Some vids of the Polaris 2010 6X6

Great info guys!
    After market role cage and seating…great idea, I hadn’t even thought about that option. Throw a trailer on the back and that rig would work perfect for me and the family.

I'm overseas at the moment, but will be back for three weeks in Dec. Do I need to get one on order, or could I shop around once I get back? I'm just thinking availabilty. I live in the Valley.

Thanks all!

Default Valley dealers

I've had great experiences with Big Lake Powersports, and that's who I got mine from. I've got friends who think Hatchers Pass is a good dealer too. If you have no dealer loyalty I'd shop around for who will give you the best price, package deal etc.

There may also be Sportsman Show specials come March/April time frame, plus once the riding season is back in swing Polaris may be offering additional discounts, rebates, or free accessories with purchase. Just depends on your schedule and when you want it.

FYI when shopping for a rear cage kit, go with one that will allow you to tilt the bed. Ive only seen 1 kit that allows that.

http://www.sidebysidesports.com/2020porarese.html

Talking 2010

Man you guys r making me drool. I'm ready to trade up from my 08' 4x4 to a 10' 6x6. Maybe next year, then of course what about the 2011 model!?

Default 2010 On order!

It should arrive first of Nov. I had momma call a few dealers…she ended up going to Big Lake.
    1S1K, did you need a clutch mod when you upgraded to the 27’s?
    It’ll be waiting for me when I get back in Dec. Who’s up for a ride?

Default No clutch mod

I drove mine off the lot with 27's so I have no experience with the engine performance with stock tires vs. upgrading to bigger tires.

I originally had ordered the machine to come with 26" ITP 589's, but when Frank's guys put the tires on they looked even smaller than the stock 25's so they switched them out and put the 27's on for me. What a nice surprise when I showed up! Frank and I had gone back and forth on the tire size and I was really concerned about keeping the machine as stock as possible. That is the kind of service you get at Big Lake. They could have just kept the 26's on because that is what I ordered, but they took the initiative and put the 27's on for me. I had to pay for the upgrade, but because they spent the time with me discussing what I wanted they knew I would not be happy with the smaller or similar to stock look of the 26's even though they would have performed better than stock.

I previously had a Polaris X2 with 26" 589's and they measured 24.5". I think ITP 589's run a little small.

Good for you on the purchase you're going to love it!

Anyone interested in a decked out 08 Ranger 4x?

I'm upgrading to the 27's too. The guy my wife is working with (JT?) just told here there is a hi pro clutch coming out some time, but didn't think one would be needed for 27's.

I also went with the 4500lb winch with detachable plates/mounts for front and back, plow and a soft top. I cant wait to see it....72 days until I get home and I know their gonna go slow.

Take care guys! Maybe get a chance to hook up in Dec.

Scott

DDP performance is the place to go for clutching. They've got them down to a science for the Ranger.

http://dirtydawgperformance.com/

Also anyone with a ranger, check out www.PRCForum.com

Plethora of knowledge and info.

Thanks TWB..lots of great info!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast