Thread: Alright fellas got a ? about Kodiak

Default Alright fellas got a ? about Kodiak

So it looks like I am going to get to head down to Kodiak this Nov to do some deer hunting and I want to know which one of my rifles you guys would take. I have shot plenty of deer, just none in AK. I'm sure that all of the guns I'm about to list will do the deed but I like all of them and dont know what to expect as far as shot opportunity and range. I am tearing myself apart trying to decide.

So here goes.

1. Nicely sporterized 1903 Springfield, done by Harvey Anderson of James Watts fame, 3006 with Leupold fixed 2.5. Sighted in an inch high at a hunerd with handloaded 200 noslers.

2. Custom Ruger 77 RSM in 458 Win mag, with Bansners HIGH TECH stock and Leupold VX III 1.5-5. Sighted in 2 in high at 100yds with max loaded ( 2400fps) Hornady 350 Interlocks. (by the way it cuts one hole for 5 shots with these)

3. WWG AK Guide 457 Mag, parkerized wood stocks, with Leupold 2.5 scout scope. Dead on at 100 with HSM 405gr 457mag, also I made 2 consecutive one shot kills on wild hogs at 232yds a couple years ago so its not totally a brush gun.

4. WWG Mini guide ( my name for it) chambered for the 35 Remington. sighted in with my handloads using the Speer 220 gr FP hot core bullet, and shoots great. Also this rifle or carbine if you will, is not equipped with a scope. It wears a set of WWG ghostring sights.

My frustration comes from the fact that I shoot each rifle well and am familiar with all of them, but not knowing what kind of shots to expect I would hate to come home emptyhanded because I chose the wrong type of firearm for the conditions. Here are some of my list of pros and cons.

The Springfield is not super accurate but I have never missed any of the 15 plus head of game that I have taken with it because it only shoots 2 in groups. It also wears a wood stock, which could pose a problem if the weather sucks, and I've used it succesfully for so long that the new has kinda wore off of it.

The 458 is probably the most hardy of the bunch being the only synthetic stocked member of the group, it is also equipped with back up iron sights. But it also weighs 12lbs, not the perfect mtn rifle, not that weight bothers me too much as I am in pretty good shape. I would also like to shoot some game with the darn thing as I've carted it around all year and haven't had the chance to chrisen it.

The Guide gun has been pretty much my go to Alaska gun since I've been here, as I thought that I must have a big bore to hunt here when I arrived (now I just enjoy loading for them and shooting them, big bores that is). It has served me well and I have no reason to doubt it unless the only shot I get is past 250yds. It is also short and handy with it's 16.5in bbl, if not overly light.

The 35 shoots great and I know that it will stomp a deer, I've used it to that end in the past. It is also light, short (17in bbl), and quick(points like a good shotgun). The main concern here being that 125yds is about my limit with the iron sights.

I will be hunting around Larsen Bay if that helps as far as anyones knowledge of what to expect is concerned. And I will also be taking my 44 along just incase I fill 2 of my tags early I would like to try to get one with a handgun if possible.

Oh, and one last thing please no one say that the 458 is overkill, because I never heard of such an animal.
    Last edited by The Kid; 10-01-2009 at 00:12. Reason: grammar

your 03 springfield will do just fine.... any of your others and youll be losin alot of good meat...i hunted kodiak last november with a 30-06 mauser...i shot 180 grain sciroccos the entire trip and i also took a 8'8'' griz with it at 50 yards. most of the deer we killed ( 29 bucks 3 does (proxy limits)) were taken between 200-500 yards, but we were hunting the south end coast where trees are pretty scarce and brush/grass country prevailed, so long shots were the norm. i used to shoot a custom 03 springfield 30-06 that my father built and gave to me for my 14th birthday, i enjoyed it and shot it very well but never trusted the military safety mechanism on the firing pin as it botched a mt.goat hunt for me with a legal animal in my sights with the rest of the hunt spent tryin to unlock it (he was not there to help). finally he built me the custom 98 mauser i hunted with for the last 10 years. i would not shoot these deer with anything bigger than a .338 win mag. they are not big deer, with the biggest bucks pushing 200-230 on the hoof. hope this helps and good luck with your hunt....youll love kodiak so dont forget to bring a good camera!

what part of kodiak will you be hunting and what is the terrain like? the brush? over a 9 day hunt last year we had only 1 day of rain, 5 days of beautiful sunny weather and the last 3 day were coldand brought 8 inches of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    what part of kodiak will you be hunting and what is the terrain like? the brush? over a 9 day hunt last year we had only 1 day of rain, 5 days of beautiful sunny weather and the last 3 day were coldand brought 8 inches of snow.
    Lucky. I'm going to Kodiak in both October and Nov this year. Bringing the 338 as I plan on shooting a goat and deer and would like the extra range in October. And my Marlin GG in 45/70 as I only plan on shooting deer and trading my wife's 308 back and forth depending and the 45/70 is just handy to carry all the time in case I get a bump to jump up and close range and the warm fuzzy of a compact big bore doesn't hurt either.

WHAT THE HECK MAN!! get going!!! I am waiting on you we are LEAVING NOW!! Time to go and make something of all these permits and tags!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Lucky. I'm going to Kodiak in both October and Nov this year. Bringing the 338 as I plan on shooting a goat and deer and would like the extra range in October. And my Marlin GG in 45/70 as I only plan on shooting deer and trading my wife's 308 back and forth depending and the 45/70 is just handy to carry all the time in case I get a bump to jump up and close range and the warm fuzzy of a compact big bore doesn't hurt either.

I' m well acquainted with the Larsen Bay area. Lots of brush broken by small meadows in the lowlands, open rocky ridges above. The more open areas on the west side of Uyak would call for the 06, but they get swamped with hunting pressure from the lodge and locals. Better to hunt the head of Uyak, the east side, the hills a half mile or more back from Browns, the headlands and Amook. Those all range from brushy alder to a little more open "forests" of cottonwoods and black birch. I'm betting 99.9% of your shots will be under 200 yards and 90% under 100 yards.

It's always a good idea to have a spare rifle in camp on remote hunts, so I'd take two: You'll be real happy with the 35 on the lowland hunts, and only miss the extra range up high. The 06 will be king up there. Especially later in the month around the rut, virtually all your shots will be on the lower half of the mountains rather than up on the open ridges. The single exception will be the high rocky headlands. Earlier in the month the biggest bucks will be higher, but still venturing down to sniff does morning and evening.

Forced to carry a single rifle I'd carry the 06 if you're looking for horns, but the 35 if you're looking for meat. You can get by at closer ranges with the 06 wearing that 2.5x, but the 35 will be lots more fun.

Default Bear gun

I use to hunt Kodiak with a 280 on a pre 64 winchester featherweight gun,nice to pack around but not the greatest up close bear gun.(hunt Kodiak long enough and you'll need a bear gun wether your hunting them or not )

My last trip with my 280 was in uyak bay I was clawing and scratching my way up the mountain in ten foot alders,pulled myself up over a mini cliff,and standing there 15 feet away in these thick alders was a 7 foot brown bear,just staring at me trying to figure out if I was food. I was still on my knees from crawling and chambered a round, I started talking to let him know I was human,but still he just kept staring at me,I got a little louder and he finally moved off slowly. What puzzled me the most was I wasn't being quiet, he had to hear me coming for at least ten minutes.

I use my 375 h&h mag now. Ballistics on the 375 with 270 grain bullet are similar to 30-06. Great all around weapon. I find that the 375 does less meat damage on those dear then my 280 did.

Turned in a nine foot brownie I shot in camp to Fish and game since then. I was glad to have a big gun. I dropped the bear 13 feet from me right at dusk 50 feet from our tent. 300 grains in the chest dropped him but he started to get back up twice,so he got two more.

Default Rifle

I've hunted in Uyak a couple times and would say what both BrownBear and Captain T have said is right on the money. If I was going back to that country I would be using your .458
    Plenty of range for deer (200yds) and plenty of power if you need it for bears and you will see bears. Or even better, sounds like you need a .338 and you won't ever have a hard time choosing the best rifle for any hunt in Alaska again! Good luck and have some fun!

Default Take the big gun

I also have to agree with the above posts. Having been involved in 2 DLP killings of bears on Kodiak while deer hunting, I say leave the light calibers at home. If ya got quick detachable mounts and open sights on it, all the better.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    1. Nicely sporterized 1903 Springfield, done by Harvey Anderson of James Watts fame, 3006 with Leupold fixed 2.5. Sighted in an inch high at a hunerd with handloaded 200 noslers.

The Springfield is not super accurate but I have never missed any of the 15 plus head of game that I have taken with it because it only shoots 2 in groups.
    I guess these old 1903 springfields have a huge range of quality to them. My dad picked up a surplus one in the late 1950's in Long Beach along with a Fajen stock and a set of open sights for a grand total of $60. Took it to sea on his ship and sporterized it in the ship's armory.

Years later in AZ he was deer hunting. He didnt' find any deer, but did find a tree full of fox squirrels. When he headed back to camp the squirrels were still there so he started popping them. Five squirrels with head shots at 50yards using open sights.

However, once the bolt was re worked to fit a scope on the gun to help his aging eyes the safety failure issue raised up. The bolt work had damaged the military safety and the gun discharged while dad was carrying it on a sling. He had that fixed and it now works just as good as always.

Oh yeah to your original question. Get another gun in .338. How about one of those new XLR Marlins in .338 marlin express? Or a good bolt gun in .338 mag? The Kimber Mountain Light in .338 Federal is really tempting.

Some good information posted here. Personally been on about 10 different deer hunting trips to Kodiak and after our last trip my opinion is I would not go there again unless my rifle was suitable for an encounter with a brownie.
    I'll carry either a .338WM or 35 Whelen (or bigger) or stay home. First 9 trips were pretty much uneventful as far as bear activity but the 10th trip was a little eye opening when you have a pack load of meat and you are being followed by at least a 10 foot teddy bear.

If you carry a Remington rifle make sure you take a can of heet or alcohol with you to get the freezing trigger unstucked in the morning.

When deer hunting on Kodiak you do not take a rifle that is the perfect choice for deer, you choose one that will help you protect against a unannounced bear encounter.
    Tennessee

Didn't see if you were hunting alone or not, but, I like the sound of the 35.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Those are all too big for Blacktails.

you need a new gun

If I was going to kodiak to hunt deer and only deer... Id bring a 243 and a big can of mace.

Thats how id do it. Or I would count on a buddy bringing a big gun. Or Id bring a big gun and have my buddy bring a little gun and use his to shoot my deer.

OR..

Bring some small bullets for the '06. 125 gr bullets for it do nicely, and then bring some big ass bullets. Just swap out when you kill a deer to protect you from those scaaary bears.

Default Alright guys

Thanks a bunch for the descriptions of the area, that will help. I do have a buddy going with me and he will most likely be toting his 243 AI, as that is his favorite deer blaster.

Now next in the list is I most certainly will not be buying a new rifle for this trip and if I did it definately would not be chambered for the 243 win, as this is probably about my least favorite caliber on the planet. Yes I know shot placement, good bullets, yadayada. I have used it on deer and my opinion is that it is a great coyote rifle but not my cup of tea for deer.

I have been thinking of building a medium bore of some sort but I have neither the fundage nor the time to complete one in time, so getting a 338 is out. As a side note unless it is a really good deal I will probably never own a 338 Win either. I know they work and work well, I just dont care for them thats all.

As far as all of my guns being too big, well in all the deer I have shot I have never lost too much meat with shots through the ribs, no matter the caliber. Also I am pretty sure that a 125gr bullet at high velocity from the 06 would waste way more meat than a 200gr at moderate speed.

Everything stated above was purely my opinion, albeit not totally founded on gun magazines, and should be taken as such. Thanks again for all the informative replies from those that have " Been There", and please keep them coming.

Springfield. No question.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    As far as all of my guns being too big, well in all the deer I have shot I have never lost too much meat with shots through the ribs, no matter the caliber. Also I am pretty sure that a 125gr bullet at high velocity from the 06 would waste way more meat than a 200gr at moderate speed.

Everything stated above was purely my opinion, albeit not totally founded on gun magazines, and should be taken as such. Thanks again for all the informative replies from those that have " Been There", and please keep them coming.
    haha.
    OH the private messages I got about that reply. Magnum-itis in full force.
    I've never shot anything through the ribs. Head and neck only, everything else is wasting meat, thats how I was brought up.
    My experience has been the opposite. 125 gr out of an '06 through the neck of a blacktail, drops it just fine and wastes a whole helluva lot LESS meat than a 180gr through the neck of a blacktail, which in turn wastes less than the 220gr bullets through the neck of a blacktail. That has been MY experience. MY favorite blacktail rifle: moms 22-250. I saw my friend shoot a deer with his 45-70; not only did he shoot it through the heart and waste one of the best parts, but it left a hole I could dang near stick my fist through.
    BTW I've seen a 150gr '06 round through the neck of a Forky blacktail, pretty much decapitated the deer. Head was hanging off by some meat and skin on the entry side.
    But given the responces i got privately, I take it my experiences have been somewhat out of sync with those experiences of others.

Take your 458 and bring a video camera.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by icb12 View Post
    haha.
    OH the private messages I got about that reply. Magnum-itis in full force.
    I've never shot anything through the ribs. Head and neck only, everything else is wasting meat, thats how I was brought up.
    My experience has been the opposite. 125 gr out of an '06 through the neck of a blacktail, drops it just fine and wastes a whole helluva lot LESS meat than a 180gr through the neck of a blacktail, which in turn wastes less than the 220gr bullets through the neck of a blacktail. That has been MY experience. MY favorite blacktail rifle: moms 22-250. I saw my friend shoot a deer with his 45-70; not only did he shoot it through the heart and waste one of the best parts, but it left a hole I could dang near stick my fist through.
    BTW I've seen a 150gr '06 round through the neck of a Forky blacktail, pretty much decapitated the deer. Head was hanging off by some meat and skin on the entry side.

But given the responces i got privately, I take it my experiences have been somewhat out of sync with those experiences of others.
    I guess that my experience has been similar to others here as far as high velocity and light bullets go, BUT, as you say if your shooting them through the neck or in the noggin, who gives a hoot. Everyone has different preferences and mine tend to follow the Elmer Keith train of thought, albeit without the love for the 338. If you have had good experiences using small calibers and light bullets I say dont change a thing. I know alot of folks back home who have and do eat alot of deer steaks that have been delivered to their table by the awesome power of the 22LR, when your scrambling their brains it dont matter much what you hit them with, and you dont waste any meat that way. But for the most part I have always been a chest shooter contrary to my upbringing so I guess its whatever work for you.

By the way I think that I have settled on the 458 for this trip, just for the heck of it.