Thread: Palmer Creek Rd this weekend?

Default Palmer Creek Rd this weekend?

Thinking about last minute Black Bear hunt down around Hope this weekend. Wondering if Palmer Creek Rd is still accessible? I'd like to drive up the road, and hike up and over some of those mountains...anybody know snow depth? Road still open? Bears pushed down yet? Thanks to any and all replies.... HOPEAK?
    Johnny

To the best of my knowledge it is open to cour'dlane camp ground for driving. They were working on the road last week. Should be good hunting, however the Black Bear sightings are way down this summer in the Hope/Sunrise area. If you had a Mt. Bike you could check out Mills Creek also. The snow has receded. Summit Pass looks good for drive and glass hunting.

I was up that way a week ago & they had the road closed near the bottom for maintainance. Can't speak for now...
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default mills creek

how do you access mills creek with a mountain bike? not sure where that would be.

Quote Originally Posted by sh View Post
    how do you access mills creek with a mountain bike? not sure where that would be.

Mills Creek has a closed-off Highway that runs back the valley 3 1/2 to 4 miles. It puts up in the open meadow country. You can access it off the road at the end of lower summit lake or out of the Huge gravel pit just 3/4 mile north of lower summit lake. Mills Creek flows into Juneau Creek, which flows into Upper Canyon Creek. (NOTE: This is just a guess, but about mile marker 47 Seward Hwy.)

Default i know where you are talking about

i thought that road ended at a mining claim back there. was back there years ago, could'nt cross juneau creek.

I was back there a week and a half ago. The road was closed past the campground. The downside was that we had to hike it and extra 6 miles. The upside was that we had the whole place to ourselves. On the way back. we ran into the guys who closed the road. Basically it sounds like if they are doing some work on the 2nd half of the road and if they have several days of rain, they will close it. If it stays dry for a while, then it will be open. If you watch the forecast, you should have a good idea of whether or not it will be open.

While we were there we saw only one black bear which we promptly shot. We also saw one brown, and about 15 sheep. Still lots of berries, but you need to get about 4/5 of the way up the mountan to get to them. Down low everything is pretty much eaten up.

Default which campground is that

is that road open for wheelers?

Anyone up there this weekend? May go up tomorrow.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."