Thread: Quality of early beaver unit 16

Kenai pen, in summer. Matsu vally in winter

Default Quality of early beaver unit 16

I was just wondering how the quality of the beaver is in unit 16 early in the year.
    I was reading the reggs and i noticed it is open the 25th of sept, for beaver. I know the water temp has been almost freezing for the last two or three weeks. I have a cabin in the skwentna area and the lake system i am on is loaded with beaver. Is it worth it ?????. They look good.
    It would be so easy to get them now compaird to when the ice is three and a half thick..........

Supporting Member

Default Early beaver

While the early pelts are not worth much if you send them off to one of the big auction houses (NAFA, FTA, etc.), I have seen them sell for pretty good money at the Fur Rondy fur auction held by the South Central Chapter (SSC) of the Alaska Trappers Association (ATA). If you are interested, contact Lynn Keogh, President SSC ATA, at 398-1803 for more information.

The price of beaver pelts is so dismally low this year, it probably doesn't make that much difference. I'd say go for it ASAP!
    Second the advice about the Rondy auction.

Not worth a lot of money, but haven't been in a while. Fur quality in unit 20 is good. I always trap them the few weeks after moose season winds down, kinda of a fun nice in between seasons thing to do. A good reason to get out in the boat a few last times. I say go for it! Also a nice way to get some meat for the bait barrel, easier then under ice in the spring! Just skin, and then freeze!

Thanks for the replys..
    It would be nice to have some more bait. Its been fairly warm out there might have another week or two of open water

OK, I just can't stand not to keep my mouth shut. Everytime I see the title to this post, my mind just wanders!!

Default Know what you mean Wildboar

But at least it specifies 16 (something)...

From what I've heard on fur price forecasts this year you might want to hold any you pick up.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Thats for shure..
    wish i knew what the fur prices were going to be.