Thread: Camping help

Default Camping help

me and my friend from high school have always wanted to go on a long (perhaps 3 weeks to a month) camping trip together somewhere, and recently have decided that we want to do it in Alaska. We have both read and seen Into The Wild and have decided that we want to do that. However, we want to be more prepared than Christopher McCandless was. We are hoping to take this trip this summer. Me and my friend are avid outdoors men but are not sure how to go about planning a trip like this. We would like to do it deep into the wilderness and live off the land for the time we are out there, but do not want to put ourselves into danger by not being able to seek help if needed. If there are any long time campers out there who have some advice on how to take a trip like this, please let me know. I would really appreciate it.

here we go....

Default Yes, here we go...

Quote Originally Posted by ePatrick View Post
    here we go....
    ... again.

Come up and camp. Get some experience under your belt a little at a time in some demanding situations. Then pull the pin. I hate to speak ill of the dead, but McCandless was an idiot only exceeded in idiocy by Timothy Treadwell.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    ... again.

Come up and camp. Get some experience under your belt a little at a time in some demanding situations. Then pull the pin. I hate to speak ill of the dead, but McCandless was an idiot only exceeded in idiocy by Timothy Treadwell.

And Sayak is being nice. I live NEAR where dingle berry died in his bus, and was VERY near there when they found him.

Alaska is not a place where you can JUST live off the land. we do not have a long growing season, fish migrate to and from and are NOT in every body of water... the MOSQUITOES will eat you alive and the berry season is days in some places not weeks or months...

Alaska has three seasons..

mud dust and snow with the later being 7 months up this far.

you can come up, rent a car and camp in any pull out you see just about AK does not have expansive rest areas like the states do, so most are wide spots on the shoulder folks pull up in... Trust me 2 hours north of anchorage and the valley your in the woods 40 foot off the highway...

spend three weeks on the road see more of the state, Kenai to dead horse.( north slope) you will have plenty of wilderness experience and see some of the best country out there. ...

or you can be like the kids this last summer ..

Rescued twice and told if the DNR found them in the woods again they would go to jail we have a few road.... there are BILLIONS of acres with out any sign of life except that which is looking to eat you....and it ain't bears.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default ???

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    I live NEAR where dingle berry died in his bus, and was VERY near there when they found him.
    OK... its falling into place now... you're the guy that offered him assistance, which he turned down because of his delusion he had that to properly subsist, you couldn't accept any help from others? Yeah, I'll just go pick berries next my bus now...

You're really that guy?

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    ... there are BILLIONS of acres with out any sign of life
    wow, that's a lot of acres Vince....
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

i do plan on getting eating by some unknown not bear creature, and do plan on taking every precaution to remain safe. I am an experienced camper, but would like to know if there is anything special that is required when camping in Alaska (im from florida).

Its not going to be this summer, you are not going to be able to "live off the land" and if you have a knife, candy bar and water you are better prepared then McClueless. This last summer two guys from Washington DC decided to camp at one of the wilderness lakes you can only get to by flying, they lasted one night and they said they were experienced. Do not take Alaska lightly and get rid of Into the Wilderness, its not going to help you.
    You need to be realistic. Realize you can fish, you probably cannot hunt depending on the time of year and location and there are no berries until very late summer and fall. Maybe a 3 week float trip on one of the rivers? Is the plan a backpacking trip in and out? Make arrangements for a sat phone if you even attempt this.

Quote Originally Posted by jlive24 View Post
    me and my friend from high school have always wanted to go on a long (perhaps 3 weeks to a month) camping trip together somewhere, and recently have decided that we want to do it in Alaska. We have both read and seen Into The Wild and have decided that we want to do that. However, we want to be more prepared than Christopher McCandless was. We are hoping to take this trip this summer. Me and my friend are avid outdoors men but are not sure how to go about planning a trip like this. We would like to do it deep into the wilderness and live off the land for the time we are out there, but do not want to put ourselves into danger by not being able to seek help if needed. If there are any long time campers out there who have some advice on how to take a trip like this, please let me know. I would really appreciate it.
    Well for starters you will have to get some hunting/fishing licenses, which aren't cheap for out-of-staters. Then you need to decide where exactly you will be heading and get some good topo's of that area. Then you will have to bring a ton of gear for all types of weather conditions. Then you will have to fly here and get dropped off where you want to go, which means even more money. Then you will finally be here. Now the hard part. There is a huge misconception that Alaska is so abundant with game, yeah it is but good luck finding it. So you better get some knowledge on edible plants and make darn sure you know what is what. But that will not be enough to sustain you for very long.

i do plan on getting eating by some unknown not bear creature, and do plan on taking every precaution to remain safe. I am an experienced camper, but would like to know if there is anything special that is required when camping in Alaska (im from florida).
    You DO plan on getting eating...I hope that was a typo. Being an experienced camper is just not enough. I have camped for many years and camping is nothing like surviving. First you have to have the "survival" mindset. Now if you plan on packing in water, food, shelter and all that then yeah no problem, well less problems. But to live off the land as poetic and majestic as that may sound is nothing to take lightly. But hey if you want to do it than who am I to stop you. But every year people come up here wanting the same thing you want and end up failing or worse. Then our rescue guys have to go out there and save them because they had this mythical idea of what the "Wild" really is. It is harsh and unforgiving and all the books in the world will not save you.
    Former A.F Staff Sergeant

Default I wouldn't try to live off the land in FLA.

I don't know that country. It might kill me.

I have been camping, hunting and fishing in Alaska- sometimes pretty remote parts of Alaska- for 35 years. I am still aware that if I make a mistake I could die fairly easily. I might capsize my canoe in a sudden wind, or go through a hole in the ice while ice fishing, or run into a brownie on a salmon stream. I never take it for granted that the place where I caught fish one day will offer fish the next. Same with all types of game. Some years are good berry years for any given place, but next year the berries may be slim pickins. You just never know.

There is a romantic appeal to the idea of living off the land, and many of us on this forum have fallen to that appeal at one time or another. Some have probably been successful. But there are multitudes of stories about well-intentioned guys who went hungry thinking they could just subsist off the land. Truth is: compared to other places, game up here can be pretty scarce per square mile. Old timers went into the back country fairly well provisioned with a grub stake. They knew that being out on their own was just an event or accident away from death or starvation. That part of Alaska hasn't changed. Communication can improve your chances, but many times things happen so fast that you could die before help comes.