Thread: Coho Limit on the Lower Kenai!

Default Coho Limit on the Lower Kenai!

Can this be true??? The Lower Kenai is still producing limit catches for coho... While the fishing wasn't necessarily "hot", it was definitely consistent, and absolutely fantastic.

We launched at 8:30 this morning and put the last rod away at 3:00 pm. The water conditions were excellent with 45 degree water temp and exceptional visibility. The amazing thing was fishing this good but practically having the river to ourselves! We shared our section of the river (all that we could see) with 3 other boats, none within 1/4 mile.

We fished three rods, two with k-15's/sardine and one with eggs. The k-15's outfished the eggs 8-1. The color of the kwikie didn't matter as much as the action. I fished four different colors and produced on each (even 1 rookie!).

The weather turned amazing by the end of the day and the cooler was full. This was an excellent way to end the season.

Hay is that Robert Walls mug shot? If it is you would have had a great day of fishing even if it was slow. Got to love the Kenai on days like that,,nice pics and thanks for the report.

I thought he looked familar.

Shhhh.......Keep the lower river fishing report to yourself. Instead of seals taking over the river in the fall, I'll have to compete with a whole bunch of other boats if you keep posting about the awesome fall fishing. Sure beats king fishing doesn't it?

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Thumbs up Way to go Ed

I'm gonna guess that you were just below Pillars.Were there a lot of seals around ? Looks like you picked an awesome day.And those silvers were nice and bright....Gotta get out at least a few more times.

Nice fish and nice day. I had a place right near there (Riverwood Sub) for many years and regularly fished it through Oct. with fairly good results, but, of course, it did get a little chilly in the early AM. (Note to tcman: Nothing beats king fishing there.)

Default nice guess

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Collett View Post
    I'm gonna guess that you were just below Pillars.Were there a lot of seals around ? Looks like you picked an awesome day.And those silvers were nice and bright....Gotta get out at least a few more times.
    Hey Mark,

We were indeed below the Pillars.... you better get out there before winter strikes! Cheers

I heard there was a seal up as far as Skilak Lake!

Seals seem to show up every year on the Middle Kenai in September and have I seen them into November (in that area) on a pretty regular basis. Last week there were at least three different seals working from Bings to the Upper Killey River. Kind of feel sorry for the silvers as with the water dropping they are running out of places to hide. Even saw a couple of seals up by the Skilak Lake a couple of weeks ago which kind of puts both the trout and silvers off of the bite for obvious reasons.

Silvers should continue to enter the Kenai well into November so not a big suprsie to see the post & picture of a nice limit of silvers from Akfishguide. Also not a suprise to see the folks fishing them getting fewer and fewer as the season turns into October. About the only folks that seem to still be fishing on the Kenai are the trout addicts on the water from Kenai lake down to Bing Landing.

We also got a nice limit of silvers a couple days ago, but we were on the middle river.... and speaking of seals, I've seen them in the middle river before, but I've never seen as many as I'm seeing this year. I fished from Hole#1 to the Lake, and almost every slack water hole had at least one seal in it; Hole#1 had 3 hanging around and the braids up by the lake had a couple milling around as well. We fished silvers for an hour or two in the early morning, only picking up a few, then fished trout for a few hours. We came back to silvers around 2pm and had our last 5 fish in about an hour or less. Got half on sardine wrapped k15's and half on #15 vibrax. They were all beautiful, fresh, second run fish too! It's a good thing the silvers were biting because the wind made trout fishing pretty tough... landed about 10 each; biggest was a 26 inch flawless 'bow. After about a month straight of trout fishing, it was nice to see some chromers at the boat.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Default "Oh, What a difference a day makes"

We fished my buddy's hole the next day, same depth, same way, same time. Five boats in the area within close sight--2 fish caught in 4 hours around the tide. We had 2 bites--hooked up and lost one. Couple seals. Beautiful fall day, great company, good time, last time (this year).

caught some nice bright silvers on the kenai again this weekend... only fished for a little over an hour (after some frustrating/windy trout chasing) and hooked up about every 15 minutes, landing a handful and losing a few more. Only one was blush, but still edible, the rest were dime bright... most of the action came on sardine wrapped k-14's and 15's, also a couple on #5 vibrax.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Default Kenai Silvers.

Yep that's me and my beautiful bride. R. Wall. Yes we have seen seals around caribou island in Skilak this fall.

Default Message from Rock!

Hey Mr. Wall,

Rock says Hi and send up some of that fresh fish!

Cheers