Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alaska Outdoor Council

Default Alaska Outdoor Council

I received a mailer for their banquet/fundraiser on Oct. 17. What do you all think of AOC? Are they worthy of support?

Thanks for you opinions.

I've heard mixed reviews and honestly I can't remember what any of it was about so I guess this post is probably as worthless. That said like any of these outdoor organizations/clubs I'd check who's on the board and what their goals are.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

They have my support.

My support also!

If your interest is in supporting an organization that will not take a position that could be considered contrary to the special interest of the commercial hunting or commercial sport fishing industry then you could have yourself a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by ruustah View Post
    I received a mailer for their banquet/fundraiser on Oct. 17. What do you all think of AOC? Are they worthy of support?

Thanks for you opinions.

Default They have my support.

If you are looking for an organization that exactly mirrors your position on ALL the issues you won't find it. Maybe if you support locking up Alaska and stopping hurting "all the cuddly animals and sea kittens" you can have a perfect mesh of positions but you would have to overlook their "out for your money" mentality and basic dishonesty.
    For me, the AOC most closely resmbles my position on most issues - so I support them.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Talking my momma said...

"if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all"

(actually my mom said "if you can't say something nice .... come sit with us" )
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default I gave up on them....they are all about the guide industry.

and AOC executive director Rod Arno is completely out of touch with joe hunter and even supports losers like Ross http://www.adn.com/news/government/story/743676.html and even outside interest like those of Utah~SFW

Mr. Arno says: “You can't find another more sustainable industry in Alaska with as much longevity.” Of course---the wildlife killing "industry" has been subsidized by the State with wildlife being given away as the subsidy.

http://community.adn.com/node/143724

Joe Hunters in AK have about all the "industry" we can stand.

Send your money to NRA or Planned Parenthood.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokahey View Post
    and AOC executive director Rod Arno is completely out of touch with joe hunter and even supports losers like Ross http://www.adn.com/news/government/story/743676.html and even outside interest like those of Utah~SFW

http://community.adn.com/node/143724
    I didn't know that supporting Ross was a bad thing? SFW? Maybe.

Sorry, but Rudy Wittshirk is a totally biased knuckle-head and a solid turd. I wouldn't reference anything authored by him as it discredits your argument and analysis. Just my .02!

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    I didn't know that supporting Ross was a bad thing? SFW? Maybe.

Sorry, but Rudy Wittshirk is a totally biased knuckle-head and a solid turd. I wouldn't reference anything authored by him as it discredits your argument and analysis. Just my .02!

Tim
    The ole kill the messenger mentality (Rudy) overlooks legitimate points the messenger (Rudy) did make as to why AOC/Arno is out of touch with Joe Alaskan Hunter.

As for Ross, it say's something that the only person ever rejected by the legislature for AG was supported by Arno and done so as if to imply that the majority of the membership of AOC supported the appointment.

Which gets me back to the point that if you want to put the special interest of the commercial hunting and commercial sport fishing industries in Alaska in the hands of the likes of Rod Arno then go for it.

For me, the interests of Alaskan hunters and fishermen are what AOC wants people to believe the organization represents BUT just put an issue in front of them that puts joe Alaskan's interest above the commercial interests and see how far REPRESENTATION goes.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all"

(actually my mom said "if you can't say something nice .... come sit with us" )

MY MOM would walk in a bar and sailors would come run out, blushing in shame....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Smile

1. AOC is the only statewide organization advocating for “equality in access and use of Alaska’s natural resources”. (Article 3. Purpose #2. Of AOC’s
    By-laws)

And that is an important issue, whetheryou are talking allocation of fish among inriver users and commercial fisheries or allocation of caribou between local area residence and all other hunters who choose not to hunt just in there local area or who gets to travel on public property and how the choose to travel.

2. AOC is the only statewide organization that hires a full time lobbyist to influence the legislature as well as the Governor and their staff. AOC comments on all legislation that creates laws governing how fish and wildlife are managed and allocated among user groups.

Examples of this are the state subsistence laws, intensive management of game ie. Predator control to manage for more moose and caribou, and gun laws.

3. AOC represents it’s membership at state and federal regulatory public process.

What this means is that AOC goes to board of fisheries and game meetings, plus the Federal Subsistence Board (FSB) meeting regarding fish and game allocation, and
    to state and federal land manager meetings dealing with who gets to travel on public lands by which method, motorized or not.

4. ALL the money raised by AOC stays in Alaska. None of it has to go to a national organizations headquarters out of state.

AOC gets it’s money from memberships, club donations, and one of three banquet fundraisers (One in Fairbanks, Juneau, and the Mat-Su)

5. As an umbrella organization made up of 48 different clubs statewide AOC’s Executive director and lobbyist pursue issues chosen by the membership.

Quote Originally Posted by ResidentsFirst View Post
    The ole kill the messenger mentality (Rudy) overlooks legitimate points the messenger (Rudy) did make as to why AOC/Arno is out of touch with Joe Alaskan Hunter.
    Ok, I can't stand Rudy dinkleberrie's articles, so I read the whole thing and nearly hurled in my mouth from his obviously biased animal-left perspective. What did I miss? What are his legitimate points that he made? I'm not being sarcastic, I really don't see anything that he said as worth while. He insulted hunters and outdoorsmen across Alaska and the US. He believes game should be only viewed, like Denali; I have no use for the man or his perspective, except to see how far off the rocker the left really is.

Tim

Default AOC is definitely worth support

Resident First. I'm actively involved in the AOC and AOAA and your totally wrong. The AOC is not supported or backed by the commercial fishing or hunting industry. I"m not sure where you get this idea from. Admittedly the AOC board previously was chaired by the likes of guys like Dick Bishop and others who were ex-F&G and state employees who in my opinion supported F&G on many things. A back door support function. Well that all changed last year when we voted these guys off the board and put common Alaskan's with interest of ALL Alaskan on the board. This came about after the AOC agreed to support DNR's decision to close the Rex Trail cutting off access to traditional users of the trail and setting a precedence that will effect every trail in Alaska and possibly cut off all access unless you want to pack in and out by foot. The AOC is an umbrella organization and one of its most active member organizations is the Alaska Outdoor Access Alliance (AOAA) of which I'm a board member. We are fighting to keep access open to all of the states land so you can enjoy and utilizing it's resources. We don't care whether you walk, crawl, run, or drive. The mode of transportation is yours. Just don't try to stop other's from doing the same. The AOAA is having it's monthly meeting downstairs at the Eagle River VFW tomorrow night, the first Monday of every month at 6pm. Come to our meeting and you'll see we're average Alaskan's with resident's issues in mind. Supporting both the AOC and AOAA is a definite must if you want to continue enjoying your resources in Alaska.

Default I'll weigh in after that post

Halibutgrove,

Your post defines one of my pet peeves about AOC from past experiences: Access at all costs, with little or no limits.

Even when the vast majority of hunters opposed opening up the haul road corridor to atv and orv access, AOC still supported it.

Re the Rex Trail issue, I'll actually defend AOC on that one, as you unfairly painted their true position. I viewed it as AOC finally acknowledging the reality of what is happening with excess overuse/abuse of motorized vehicles in some areas. The fact that you allude you drove those out who were willing to acknowledge it does not imo say good things about the current AOC mindset.

If I can, I'd also like to say that Dick Bishop was the face of AOC for many years, and he and his wife Mary put untold time and effort into building up the org over many years, and even though I have disagreed with him at times, I will never lose the respect for him and his wife I have always had. You coming on here basically bashing Dick is truly a bizarre way to garner support for AOC.

My take on AOC is that they got too powerful in the end, and it ended up corrupting the org in too many ways. I supported them back in the early 80s when I was a member of the Tanana Valley Sportsman's Association. But over the years they changed.

By the way, it was mentioned they hire a full-time lobbyist. That lobbyist, Jeff Logan, is also the lobbyist for Pebble Mine. That in and of itself, regardless of anyone's position on Pebble...that a hunting "conservation" organization would give tens of thousands of dollars to the same lobbyist pushing to open Pebble, really says it all about how AOC has changed for me.

Not saying there aren't some good people with the org. Isn't personal. And don't want to get into a pissing match on this. Just wanted to state my honest opinion and folks can take it for what it's worth.
    Sincerely,

Quote Originally Posted by ResidentsFirst View Post
    If your interest is in supporting an organization that will not take a position that could be considered contrary to the special interest of the commercial hunting or commercial sport fishing industry then you could have yourself a winner.
    Agreed, they seem to take what I consider is a hostile position against rural subsistence hunters or the average hunter looking to fill a freezer.
    Now what ?

Default ALL Alaskans subsistance rights

You're Totally wrong.
    AOC is in a constant fight for ALL Alaskans subsistence rights not just rural. AOC believes that all Alaskans subsistence rights are very important and shouldn't be based on location but need. AOC members are hunters and fisherman who want to fill there freezers with great, health food.
    Last edited by Fanatical Fisherman; 10-02-2009 at 16:06. Reason: spelling

By the way, it was mentioned they hire a full-time lobbyist. That lobbyist, Jeff Logan, is also the lobbyist for Pebble Mine. That in and of itself, regardless of anyone's position on Pebble...that a hunting "conservation" organization would give tens of thousands of dollars to the same lobbyist pushing to open Pebble, really says it all about how AOC has changed for me.
    Boy, talking about keeping your friends close and your enemies closer.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Default AOC...

would be quicker to support an Out of State guide than RURAL STATE RESIDENT who's subsistence hunting/fishing to feed their family...that in & of itself speaks VOLUMES on the direction that the AOC has gone...

Lots of hunters support Pebble and other mining projects. Hunting is important, but so is a good stable economy.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast