Thread: 90's Tundra oil pump gears ??

Default 90's Tundra oil pump gears ??

A friend and I each picked up early 90's Tundras lately. I have heard some talk about the oil pump gears failing with age.

What do you sled gurus know about that?

I have heard the screws back out and cause the gears to lose their mesh a strip out, also the key for the gear may be plastic?

Since these sleds are new to us and have had some use, I was thinking about replacing the gears and keys, any insights, tips, part numbers, would be helpful...

HH

A lot of people take the gear off and plug up the hole and just mix you own gas. That way it will never go out.

I've heard this was really common not too long ago- remove the pump and mix your own. I've even heard of folks taking a brand spanking new one, jerking the pump off and running premixed from day one.

I would just check the mounting bolts and torque them every so often or use a bit of loctite to keep them where they belong. I've heard of tundra oil pumps falling off or cracking the mounting ears but I think it has a lot to do with how a lot of tundras are used- run hard with minimal maintenance.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by swapdonkey View Post
    A lot of people take the gear off and plug up the hole and just mix you own gas. That way it will never go out.

i have done plenty of these... there is an actual plate you can buy from ski doo for the removal of the pump.

then you mix 50/1 gas and never have any issues.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Also the bolts for the fan shroud/recoil strip out due to vibration. Then the entire oil pump is not driven. Tighten the bolts regularly or you will have problems.

BTW - Check the carb boot!!!!! If it has ANY cracking, change it. Look on the bottom side!! Make sure that the clamp is properly installed on the carb to bracket!

Mike

Conversely, I had a Tundra for years and it was flawless. Ditto for four friends. They weren't babied, either. Do standard common sense maintenance and ride the piss out of it!

Allright, sounds like if I find the screws loose I might want to take it apart and replace stuff, or just remove it and go premix.

If everything appears to be in good shape, I think I will just run it and keep an eye on it.

Thanks dirtofak for the reminder about carb boots. I had heard that but it didn't apply to me at the time.

Thumbs up watch them moter mounts to..

there is a plate on one side of the moter it cracks...i had to weld up 3 of them on 3 diff ones... the plate has a 2' hole in it if i remeber rite.. any kid jumper or hard., use it will be cracked sooner or later.....yup plastic grears in oil pump, they strip...mostly from "old" (read 80's) 2 cyle that is really thick, along the losse screws in/ around the pump. poped some drive chains a few times...all in all a GREAT sled!! fun to ride if u can stay uprite the 1st few times, easy to toss around ,249cc away!!!....
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......