Thread: Building a log cabin out of treated lumber?

Default Building a log cabin out of treated lumber?

So I've got a ton of treated 4x6's and 8x8's, what are your thoughts on building a cabin out of them? Would it be unhealthy using the treated lumber?

Default Nope

Just use them as an outside wall, since 4" isn't thick enough for a wall. I built one for the grandkids like this from 4x4's, I used 1/4" dowels and pinned the 4x4's together (theirs just didn't have an inside wall). Then set 2x4's on 2 foot centers and insulate and hang rock or whatever on the inside for walls. Now you've got 8" walls.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by barrelroll View Post
    Would it be unhealthy using the treated lumber?

YEP........Very

I read an article about a guy who built his cabin out of treated landscape timbers. It can be hazardous but only if touched. I would do as suggested above and use them for the exterior walls and cover them with insulation and sheetrock on the inside.
    Former A.F Staff Sergeant

Depends on what it's treated with I guess. If it's CCA or creosote it's probably not very healthy. I assume these are used or old or you could trade them for untreated timbers? If they are new/unused they are probably worth twice what untreated material is.

Quote Originally Posted by mics_54 View Post
    Depends on what it's treated with I guess. If it's CCA or creosote it's probably not very healthy. I assume these are used or old or you could trade them for untreated timbers? If they are new/unused they are probably worth twice what untreated material is.
    I don't know what they are treated with, i'll have to look at them. They are 5-6 years old but never used. I'm a shop teacher and they were left over from when they built the school. We are thinking of building a cabin on skids to raffle off as a fundraiser out of them.

It would most likely be around 8x12 and end up at a fish camp.

Like others have said, put sheet rock or other covering on the interior walls and you'll be fine. Don't plant a garden at the base of the exterior walls either. If you are cutting a lot of treated lumber you really should wear a good fitting hepa respirator and gloves. The chemicals in the lumber keep it from rotting because they are toxic. More so for mold, but they still don't do the human body any favors.

There are other considerations besides toxicity. CCA treatment tends to make lumber dry out, warp, splinter,etc when not in a very wet environment as in being buried. It also will cause metal fasteners to rust quickly.

....It also will cause metal fasteners to rust quickly.
    That is only if you don't use the higher grade galvanized fasteners that are available. Simpson Strong-Tie has several different grades of galvanization available for utilization with treated timbers.

If you use joist hangers, ensure you have a minimum G185 coating. I've seen the G90's go bad after a couple years. Or even the HDG coating, which is a hot dipped & gives a better corrosion resistance.

See page 11 of the current Simpson catalog for more information about their current coating scheme's.

That is only if you don't use the higher grade galvanized fasteners that are available.
    yes, now think of all the fasteners that might possibly be in contact with the CCA treated timber walls. (if that's what they are)

yes, now think of all the fasteners that might possibly be in contact with the CCA treated timber walls. (if that's what they are)
    True, most people don't want to spend the $$ to get the right fasteners. I hear it from contractors all the time, trying to switch out products for the cheaper, easier to obtain version. It's also hard when many of the larger box stores don't carry the right fastener to get the job done right (since it seems most people like to shop there when possible).

I'm out in the bush, 400 miles from Anchorage, 50 miles up river from Bethel so getting supplies isn't the easiest. We have to be creative and use what we have, being a high school budget is always a concern. I'm not sure on the ability to get sheet rock here, probably would have to get flown up or hauled by sled when the river freezes from bethel.

I'll double check our fasteners to see what we have.

It is a pretty wet environment here with rain most days.