Thread: Old Boots, new skis.

Default Old Boots, new skis.

Hey all, this isn't really about "backcountry" skiiing as I'm too out of shape these days to really ski anywhere that a chairlift can't deposit my fatness
    But I was hoping some of you could help me with an issue. I have been getting back into skiing the last couple of years with my now 7 yr old son. I used to ski 3+ days a week at Bridger Bowl in Mt, but you know how life goes.

Anyway, I recently purchased a pair of Rossignol Bandits for a screamin' deal that I just couldn't pass-up. I installed the integrated bindings myself and I'm fine with adjusting the DIN settings and all that, but what I'm wondering is about my boots. I've got a pair of Lange XR9's that were top-notch 15 years ago. I've done a fair amount of research online and the opinions I've read seem split right down the middle. Would any of you care to weigh-in on the changes that have been made in ski boots in the last 10-15 years? Are the new boots really designed to work better with the new shaped skis or does it really make a difference? The plastic on my boots is plenty sound and I've had no issues with them in the last couple of years with my old straight (and now completely lifeless!)Fischers.

Thanks in advance.

The most important thing with regards to boots is fit. If your boots fit like a glove, you can keep them. The main change in boots is that they no longer need to be as stiff as they used to be for aggressive skiers. Tere is less forward pressure needed to bend the newer skis, so boots don't need to be as stiff as steel to get the flex you need. Most skiers can get away with a moderately soft boot with today's skis. It might be worth your while to demo some boots if you can, but otherwise you should be fine.

(I'm going on the assumption that you have front-entry boots. If you're still skiing in rear-entry boots, I'd highly recommend making the switch. That will make a difference.)

Default Stiff is an understatement.

I don't know that I would claim the old Langes are comfortable. I down-sized them a size and a half to get the utmost in performance...I didn't really need it of course, but teenagers do stupid things. But they do work fine and I'm used to them, even if they aren't comfortable. I've actually never owned a pair of rear-entry boots, so I really don't know what comfortable is in ski boots. I do plan to upgrade to a new pair of boots as the budget allows, but with two kids skiing this year (and I think I finally have my wife talked into trying it again...this time I'll hire an instructor) I'm trying to get by with the old boots for at least another season.

Sounds like I should be o.k. Thanks for the help.

Scott

Ha! As an ex-instructor of five years, I loved husbands that tried to teach their wives. I got lots of private lessons out of frustrated wives.

As for boots, keep an eye on www.steepandcheap.com. Obviously you need to try on boots in person to make sure they fit right, but once you know what you're looking for, this site sometimes has some pretty screaming deals. Also check out the ski swap at West High in early November. A lot of dealers clear out last year's inventory there, and there are good deals to be had if you show up early.