Thread: Bayliner Trophy tips & pointers???

Default Bayliner Trophy tips & pointers???

A friend from outside recently bought a boat that he intends to use up here about 10 days every summer. Other than that it's mine to play with for storing it for him (always heard the best boat was someone elses.). He used it this year without a hitch.
    It's a 1989(?) 24' Trophy walkaround outboard, hardtop(the short open top, only two seats covered) cuddy cabin (mod 2502 someone suggested?) with a 200hp Yamaha 2 stroke & a 9.9hp ht Honda kicker. Has the permanent install flush type toilet.
    I'm not a very experienced boater but next spring may take it out for a little halibut fishing out of homer, or a little black bear hunting out of Homer, Seward, ot Wittier just to get my feet wet (so to speak).
    Any particular tips for these boats & motors, things to watch for, winterization tips, etc? Opinions on the boat overall??
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by Waojoke8429 View Post
    bump up lurkWhat is love? Love of the most important, what is it? We believe in love, often do not understand.
    *** ??????????????

What's love got to do, got to do with it (Tina Turner).
    SPAM, but really weird SPAM.

On the Trophy question - It sounds like you may be new to boats overall (I may be wrong). If so, I think there are way too many questions/answers associated with someone operating a boat for the first time to answer them here at this time.

If it hasn't been winterized, then I suggest you (or the owner?) pay someone to do it right. Then you can have all winter to read material, ask questions, etc. and get ready for the next boating season. Even if you planned to take the boat out just one time, and you are the one in charge of everyone's safety, I don't think you need to know any less about safety, rules of the road, etc. than someone who is planning on going out every day. Maybe you can find someone to go with you who knows lots about boating and you can be safe and learn at the same time.

I haven't been on a Trophy, but I've seen plenty and I think that if it's seaworthy and if it's operately safely, then you will have a great time with it.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    What's love got to do, got to do with it (Tina Turner).
    SPAM, but really weird SPAM.

On the Trophy question - It sounds like you may be new to boats overall (I may be wrong). If so, I think there are way too many questions/answers associated with someone operating a boat for the first time to answer them here at this time.

If it hasn't been winterized, then I suggest you (or the owner?) pay someone to do it right. Then you can have all winter to read material, ask questions, etc. and get ready for the next boating season. Even if you planned to take the boat out just one time, and you are the one in charge of everyone's safety, I don't think you need to know any less about safety, rules of the road, etc. than someone who is planning on going out every day. Maybe you can find someone to go with you who knows lots about boating and you can be safe and learn at the same time.

I haven't been on a Trophy, but I've seen plenty and I think that if it's seaworthy and if it's operately safely, then you will have a great time with it.
    Don't you love spam??

I have some experience on open water in slightly smaller boats, although always with someone with more experience. A bit more experience on rivers. The 1st adventures in this boat will have a pilot with more experience along, & no offence taken for your recomendations. Safety is always the #1 priority.
    I was mainly looking for strong points, weak points, specific problems to watch for, etc for the particular boat.
    As far as winterizing, any sneaky places water likes to pool that the bilge pumps don't clear etc.

Thanks
    Vance in AK.

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default The Tip is that way.....

Bayliner tips and Pointers......

Vance. the Tip is the pointy end... usually the BOW or forward end of the boat....

"If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Love is...

What is love?

Love is having a friend willing to buy a boat that he'll only use for 10 days a year and letting you use it the rest of the time. I need a friend like that. Gimme some lovin'! Someone, please?

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Bayliner tips and Pointers......

Vance. the Tip is the pointy end... usually the BOW or forward end of the boat....

Careful joker or I'll put an interlock on your 4 wheeler
    Vance in AK.

Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    What is love?

Love is having a friend willing to buy a boat that he'll only use for 10 days a year and letting you use it the rest of the time.
    Amen!
    It didn't mean quite as much with his old boat
    No if I could just get him to foot the bill for my fuel on these "maintainance" runs...
    Vance in AK.

Default Trophy

Hello Sir

I have a 2459 Trophy Pro that I bought in 2004 (new) and I fish out of Homer from mid May to Mid July and then go out of Seward until mid Aug until I winterize. If you would like some pointers or if you would like to go out (safety in numbers) next summer I will take you to some good fishing holes and help you with any isues that come up. PM me if you are interested.

Thanks
    Moose

Default Uscg

Not "boat-specific", but if you're fairly new to boating, the USCG Auxiliary has some great courses locally that are very helpful. I've taken their short and long courses, and found them extremely helpful with "skippering" my 28' Bayliner.