Thread: First Moose

Default First Moose

Well I have been trying hard this year to get a bull moose with a bow here in fairbanks. I had a pretty disappointing start to the season as well. It started with opening day out duck hunting and having a little bull stand not 30 yards from us and not having my bow. A couple days later I saw another bull and didn't have my bow on me.
    So around the 15th or so I started hunting Creamers. I have always had fun hunting back there because I usually run into some sort of moose back there. If you guys remember I wounded one there last year and never found him. So I had been hunting creamers for about a week now with little success. I had bought a tree stand from sportmans and set it in the same tree I had a 2x4 in last year. The 2x4 was my tree stand last year. I hadent had nayluck sitting in my tree stand so far so when I got out there at about 2 pm on the 23rd I decided i would try walking around. It had been raining so I thought this would give me a chance to be quite in the woods and hopefully sneak up on something. Almost as soon as I had gone off the trail and into the woods I fell into a wet hole. All the way up to my waist was soaked. I stopped and drained out my boots and continued on. After about 2 hours of walking in what I had thought was a straight line away from my car I came out into a clearing next to me car. Man I was lost.
    I have never really gotten lost before so this was weird. I decided I best just go sit in my tree stand to keep from getting really lost. So i find my tree stand and climb up. I sit for about 15miutes before becoming very cold. The wind was blowing slightly and snow had started to fall. Thinking that it was getting to be about time for the rut I decided to make some moose noises. I have never really called for moose so I stayed away from the grunts and cow calls. I broke a limb off the tree I was in and started whacking it around the branches above me.
    I would whack the stick around for a few moments then sit for 10 to 15 minutes. Or until i got cold again. I found that whacking the stick around was doing a good job of keeping me warm. After about 45minutes of this on and off calling I start to hear noises that sounds awful moosey. I would be sitting there huddled up and then I'd hear what sounded like an antler against a tree. By the time I took of my hood and lifted my hat above me hear I would hear nothing. I figured there had to be somthing out there. After about the 3rd time of hearing these noises I took my hood off. About that time I heard what sounded like footsteps through the bog.
    I grabbed my bow and turned in the stand. About 15 yards away from the tree I was in this bull moose walks out. Hes looking all over but has no clue I am there. As he walks out he goes behind a small spruce tree. I draw back. As he walks out from the other side he stops. Presenting a good broadside shot at about 15 yards. I let the arrow fly. I see my luminock burry into his side and disappear.

He runs about 30 yards and stops, looks arround and bit, then lays down.

I sit up in my tree until about 7:30 and it dark. I sneak down as slow and as quiet as I can and leave.

We came back the next morning and he was laing about 75 yards from my tree stand and about 40 yards from where I left him the night before.

This was my first bull moose and my first moose with a bow.

Awesome Carl, congrats on the bull!

Good job Carl.

Yukon Mike would be proud of you.

Great story and fantastic pictures. Congratulations!!

Nice bull for creamers area All I ever see are spikers out there!!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

great bull for the local area here!!! GOOD JOB!!!!!!!

get to work on those cow calls and bull grunts for next year .. YOU can't go wrong...

the cow uses a long E R sound... and the bull is a Whaa.sound in a cough or a grunt
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Way to go bro!!!!!

Carl, congrats, great story and pix
    -Pat
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default nice story

I was in the tree stand shivering with you after getting wet. Well written. And I've been out there kind of all turned around too. Very nice story, and a very nice bull regardless of any area a guy might hunt. Great supporting photos too.
    Be sure to get him hung and the hide of asap to get him cooled. He should be great eating. Congratulations!

very nice...congrats!

nice to hear some more success!