Thread: Couple of questions for Barney's bag owners

Default Couple of questions for Barney's bag owners

I bought my bag a couple of weeks ago and have hiked bout 30 some miles with it on. I am wondering if anyone uses a hydration bladder with there's? I have been clipping a nalgene bottle to the d-ring on the shoulder strap but it is loud and uncomfortable. How do you carry your rifle when you think there is a reasonable expectation of seeing game? It takes me awhile to take the pack of and dig out my rifle. It has been a problem yet but I would hate to miss out because the gun is stowed away.

Thanks

Default Hydration bladder

Yes, I use a platypus 32 oz, complete with hose and clipped to the front harness. I store it in the top pouch of the flap cover, zipped up all the way except about an inch or so to poke the hose out. Need the clip though, so it keeps the hose in front for easy accessability while hiking w/ it. I imagine, Barneys will eventually design a hydration pocket for their packs eventually.

I do the same thing as kaha - I put my hydration pack in the top pocket. As for the rifle, I either just carry it in my hands or sling it over one of my shoulder straps if I'm hunting. I always want one firearm accessible regardless, but if I also have my handgun on my chest and I'm done hunting, then I'll use the rifle carrier.

I havn't seen it set up w/ the barneys but if you are looking for a way to carry your rifle so you have access to it then you may be interested in picking up the Kifaru "Gunbearer".

I use my Hunter pack's built-in sleeve for long hikes when I'm not paying attention and carry the rifle when I am paying attention. Barney's sells a kit that attaches to any frame that allows the rifle to be secured and still release it without taking the pack off. I bought one and never used it. My hunting buddy made a spacer out of rubber or plastic and mounted it low on the frame tube (not a Barney's frame). He hangs his sling over the top post (our top hoops are removed) and then uses a mini bungee to hold the rifle stock against his spacer block. He can get his rifle into his hands very quickly.

To the bladder question? I prefer bottles in a side compartment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    I use my Hunter pack's built-in sleeve for long hikes when I'm not paying attention and carry the rifle when I am paying attention. Barney's sells a kit that attaches to any frame that allows the rifle to be secured and still release it without taking the pack off. I bought one and never used it. My hunting buddy made a spacer out of rubber or plastic and mounted it low on the frame tube (not a Barney's frame). He hangs his sling over the top post (our top hoops are removed) and then uses a mini bungee to hold the rifle stock against his spacer block. He can get his rifle into his hands very quickly.

To the bladder question? I prefer bottles in a side compartment.

The rifle carriers are out of stock and the guy who makes them for us has been MIA for the last couple of months. We have one in the store to use as a guide if we can find someone else to make them for us. We'll see. If you go the bladder route like the others have said put it in the top flap pocket with the hose hanging out. If you continue with the bottles I have a pinnacle and put one in the rear rifle bootie and tie the end straps through the lid strap to keep it from coming out. I then put one in the pack so I always have 2 litres and the stiripen to make more if I need it.

Brett

Come on Brett, you have now been here long enough...you don't need the steripen anymore!...........................Chuck

i put my water in the left side pocket and run the drinking tube through the "D" ring on the shoulder strap.
    the kifaru system is the best i have used, and i have tried a few.
    buddy of mine used to hang his rifle on his pack post, it proved to be a nightmare in the alders....
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Come on Brett, you have now been here long enough...you don't need the steripen anymore!...........................Chuck

Don't worry Chuck when my chest hair grows out a little this winter I'll finaly be able to use it as a filter and leave the pen at home!!!!

Brett

Brett, I knew you were a bit different but really shaving your chest hair for the summer? That is a little "special"
    Besides the real deal is just growing the beard in bushy enough you can filter it while drinking!

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Adam Barringer View Post
    Don't worry Chuck when my chest hair grows out a little this winter I'll finaly be able to use it as a filter and leave the pen at home!!!!

Brett

Default water

I bought an MSR hydration system in the spring and it worked great on my past two hunts and a few hikes this summer. I put it in the top flap pocket and run the tube out the zipper compartment and then just clip the holder onto the D ring on the shoulder strap. I found that if I carefully get rid of the air in the bladder before putting it in there it will work until it is empty. I also add 5 Nuun tablets to each batch of water (but not the Kona Kola...yuck).

As for the rifle carrier, if I expect to see anything I need to shoot, I just carry the rifle. If I need to use my hands for climbing, trekking poles, or I am in open country, I'll store it in the rifle carrier. I am really looking for a better way to carry it when in bear country, hunting for animals that may present themselves with little notice, etc.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Brett, I knew you were a bit different but really shaving your chest hair for the summer? That is a little "special"
    Besides the real deal is just growing the beard in bushy enough you can filter it while drinking!

My mom always said I was "special"! I grew a beard for a while, so my patients wouldn't thing I was 10, but I finally got tired of it and shaved it off. I guess I'll make due with my steripen for now. At least until the chest hair filter idea pans out.

Brett

Default rifle carrier

Remove sissy bar on top of pack and hang rifle over corner of pack and it will stay really well. You'll want to carry it through alders anyway unless you like punishment. Rifle will be right there quick if you need it and it stays on the pack well. You can run the chest strap through the sling if you are worried about it. If pack is completely loaded the rifle won't stay up as well. I gave my rifle carrier away years ago after I saw a bud carrying his this way. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    .....you may be interested in picking up the Kifaru "Gunbearer".
    I've got one on my Barney's pack, and I really like it. The rifle is kept secure, out of the way, but still fairly easy to get quickly.

For water, I put a tall (1.5L) Nalgene bottle in the long side pocket of my Pinnacle pack. I use a SmarTube attachment, for a drinking tube, but I replaced the bite valve that came with it with a Camelback version. The original bite valve leaked something awful.