Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stove Pipe

Default Stove Pipe

I bought a nice wood stove off Craigs List this Spring, and intent on placing it in the currently being constructed cabin. I have no stove pipe for it and the cabin is two stories so if I vent out the roof (preferred method in my opinion) I will need to get some stove pipe. Seeing the cost of some of the stove pipe out there I appreciate any recommendations on the type of stove pipe to use and where to buy it.

I uploaded a few pics of the stove, looks like I need 6", appreciate any comments.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Stove

I also bought this wood stove hearth off Craigs List, I little big for my 16x24 cabin but might work, for $20 I could not pass it up. It is a little heavy, 3 man lift, two man scoot...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not being able to see the purposed instaltion. The preferred install would be straight throu the roof that is also the cheapest. If there is a cathedral ceiling then you can use double wall pipe for the inter pipe if it goes more than 12'' to the ceiling. You don't have to use SS pipe until you pass throu the support box and ceiling.
    Hope this helps T

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

duravent, go to post road alaska woodstove whole salers.. they got it. and lots of great advice. its expensive though, im paying 1200 bucks for my chimeny but its 8" yours should be cheaper.
    Semper Fi!

AKfishon- Clear up some of your PM space and I'll be glad to help
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    AKfishon- Clear up some of your PM space and I'll be glad to help

u got a better source fill me in doug please.
    Semper Fi!

I sell Selkirk Metalbestos. Insulated stove pipe is as bad as arguing about who makes the better snowmobile, ATV or truck..everyone thinks there's is the best We've been selling Metalbestos for 28 years and I can't recall a single customer coming back to me with any issues.

Default SS Stove Pipe

I hav a thing about stove pipe it seems its always getting thinner. You just can`t get the good old fashioned hot dipped galvanized pipe that last for 20 years no more. I hate replacing the pipe but the less you use it the faster it rots and the water leaks through the flimsey svivals making a sooty mess.
    I just replaced mine for the last time I hope. I found it here at McMaster Carr
    page 611 heavey gauge ss, noninslated with welded fitting and it comes in 5' lengths.

You can find it, it's just that the chain stores and big boxes want to sell you something cheaper. Be aware of the 26 and 28ga pipe they sell as stove pipe.

We are still selling the same galvanized 24ga. stovepipe we have been since we opened our store. Same vendor even

Wink

Excel...is another product worth investigating. I have used every kind sold in Alaska. I like Excel. It is in Anchorage off of Dowling. Don't remember the name of the place. Chimney is the most serious aspect of a wood stove. Don't skimp on it.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

You can find it, it's just that the chain stores and big boxes want to sell you something cheaper. Be aware of the 26 and 28ga pipe they sell as stove pipe.

We are still selling the same galvanized 24ga. stovepipe we have been since we opened our store. Same vendor even

u carry the 8" double wall for a blaze king?
    Semper Fi!

The double wall pipe I do not stock. Special order only. I only stock single wall and the insulated pipe.

The double wall pipe I do not stock. Special order only. I only stock single wall and the insulated pipe.

so single wall interior pipe and insulated attic and roof pipe.. any stainless steel or all galvanized? are you in talkeetna. can i email you the durvent parts i need and get you to match the equivilent and give me a quote, i will be interested in purchasing this weekend or soon after. i would be willing to go single wall for interior if you got it.. but need flashing and chimeny mount and such also.

Ray
    Semper Fi!

If I could run about 17 feet of double wall metalbestos chimney pipe from the wood stove to the roof is that the best way to go (durability and safety wise)? I know it costs more...

If I got the double wall metalbestos chimney pipe and it was silver could I paint it black with the BBQ or stove spray paint?

I just put in my chimney.

PRICE EVERYTHING at 3 or more locations. You might be surprised at the difference in pricing. I wasn't just shocked, I was mad (and still am).

AKfishon
    You do not have to buy the chimney pipe (class A) to run in the house. That is an over kill and way too costly. With that stretch of pipe to the support box go with a Dura vent dbl (double wall interior pipe) that is less than half the cost of class A chimney. Dura vent DVL has a SS pipe inside and a black outer pipe with a vented air space in between the two pipes. In the 6in size it has a 6 in clearance to combustible and a 8in to combustibles in 8 in pipe.
    I hope this helps some
    T

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    I just put in my chimney.

PRICE EVERYTHING at 3 or more locations. You might be surprised at the difference in pricing. I wasn't just shocked, I was mad (and still am).

put mine in too sunday, duratech SS and got the best deal in town from central plumming and heating
    Semper Fi!

Thanks, after nearing the decision to buy near 16 feet of pipe for the 6" diameter stove pipe that I was going to install with the pic of the stove I posted above, then I check Craigs List and I bought this for $700, all in good shape:

Earth Stove wood stove w/ about 17 ft of double wall metalbestos chimney pipe, chimney support, roof flashing and some single wall black stove pipe.

Stove size question. I have a two store 16x24 which is roughly 750 sq foot cabin. I have two stove and need to decide which one to place in. The first is a the small stove a Timberline about 16" wide and 26" height (outside measurements) with some nice brick in it, looks like a small box. The second is a a larger Earth stove, I don't have exact measurements but I'm guessing the box is twice the size, probably 28" wide and although the same height as the other stove there is more room in the fire box. I like the looks of the Timberline better as it looks like a better built (real heavy) stove but I wonder if I should install the larger stove. I will mostly use the cabin in the warmer months but I would like the option of using it some in the winter and the stove is the only source of heat in the cabin. Any thoughts would be appreciated, as has been the continued advise on the stove pipe on this thread.

Thanks

If you are looking for a good deal on stove pipe, I would go to www.ChimneyLinerDepot.com for the best deals online. I look for a good month before I cam across them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast