Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 375 Ruger Completely Locked up...bolt won't even lift

Default 375 Ruger Completely Locked up...bolt won't even lift

So my freind wants me to check out his brand new 375 Ruger. He said that it is completely locked up to the point where he cant even lift the bolt. I asked him how many shots were fired throught it and he said he was about half way through his second box. Any ideas what this might be? I'm thinking It may be a split, bulged, or crack brass case stuck tightly in the chamber............

First check to see if the extractor has somehow broken and run forward under recoil, that would block the lugs from rotating. If you can be sure thats not the problem, then use a soft mallet and strike the handle gently and see if it will break loose. Be careful not to bend or break the handle, go easy. If it won't budge, take it to a reputable smith and have the barrel unscrewed. That will most assuredly tell the tale. Can't think of anything else that would block the bolt on a MKII Ruger, but check the two rear trigger guard screws and make sure they're not impacting the bolt, but that's not likely.

Can you take it out of the stock, or at least open the bottom metal and look around?

Ih he was shooting factory ammo first thing I would do is insert a cleaning rod into the muzzle and measure how far it goes in to confirm the case is empty.
    If empty, call Ruger and ask them for a prepaid mailer to send it back to them.

Reloads, someone may of made a mistake but the rifle needs to get back to a smith
    Tennessee

Could it be a failure of the 3 position safety that has it stuck in the bolt locked position?

Could you post an update when you find out what it was? Kinda contemplating buying a second one of these.

Bring it by

I know some one who put a 308 in a 3006 ruger and had that happen.

He was shooting factory cartridges.....and is quite a stout fellow....It's hard to believe that he couldnt pry the bolt open. BUT.......the problem is now mine as I have offered 300 dollars for the rifle just as he called the rifle a few dirty names for having this issue and complaining of it's recoil.....perfect timing! Will post a follow up of what the problem is with "Ruger-Crap" (one of his nicknames for the rifle).

Don't be surprised if the factory ammo is well above max!!! I can't wait to hear what the smith says and buy the way great deal on a rifle that surely can be fixed.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

He was shooting factory ammo of what caliber? Do you have the remaining ammo?

He sells you a $900 rifle for $300 because he can't get the bolt open?!
    Since this is a warranteed gun you have a bargain there but most of these are destroyed rifles.

Not to cast doubt on your friends character but something tells me we aren't getting the whole story. Is this a walnut stocked African or synthetic Alaskan? If walnut, the stock may be broken and I've seen one Ruger locked up because the stock was broken but it was obviously broken. But this is likely a mis-loaded cartridge (factory or not) with excess pressure or there was a barrel obstruction. Also the shooting of 30 rounds through this new (?) rifle in one session without cleaning (?) may have contributed. In any case Ruger will Repair/Replace the rifle in about two weeks but that won't tell us what happened to it. I am curious about the gun. I do think the safety could lock the bolt down but it would move slightly. If locked from excessive pressure, it would not move at all. I have seen at least two dozen rifles brought to me with this same aliment and all were from excessive pressure and all were, inspite of what the owners said, done with ammo that was in some way wrong for the rifle. Let us know what you find.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    He was shooting factory ammo of what caliber? Do you have the remaining ammo?

He sells you a $900 rifle for $300 because he can't get the bolt open?!
    Since this is a warranteed gun you have a bargain there but most of these are destroyed rifles.

Not to cast doubt on your friends character but something tells me we aren't getting the whole story. Is this a walnut stocked African or synthetic Alaskan? If walnut, the stock may be broken and I've seen one Ruger locked up because the stock was broken but it was obviously broken. But this is likely a mis-loaded cartridge (factory or not) with excess pressure or there was a barrel obstruction. Also the shooting of 30 rounds through this new (?) rifle in one session without cleaning (?) may have contributed. In any case Ruger will Repair/Replace the rifle in about two weeks but that won't tell us what happened to it. I am curious about the gun. I do think the safety could lock the bolt down but it would move slightly. If locked from excessive pressure, it would not move at all. I have seen at least two dozen rifles brought to me with this same aliment and all were from excessive pressure and all were, inspite of what the owners said, done with ammo that was in some way wrong for the rifle. Let us know what you find.
    Yes, it truly sounds like an over pressure round was fired in that rifle. If it is reload you would certainly expect someone was pushing the envelope to much. Now it being factory ammo I am not surprised. They load these new cartridges that they are trying to push to the very max and it would not take much of a reloading variation to put it over the edge. I have seen a Browning A-Bolt freeze using Winchester 300WSM ammo from the factory.

Any way you put this problem, he sure got a deal in buying that rifle for 300.00.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I have seen a couple of rifles freeze with factory rounds lately- one of which was my .300WSM shooting Federal Premium. I managed to clear the case and after looking at the 10 rounds I had fired all had cratered primers and a big ejector imprint. Obviously over pressure.

Given that the .375 Ruger operates way up there on the pressure chart I can easily see a factory overpressure round. I'd look at some of the rounds he had shot that day and see what they look like too.

Obviously we don't know the exact circumstances, but if he truly was about halfway through his second box of factory ammo, it would appear that he had the right ammo. Now he could have accidently picked up some other type of ammo he had on the table, but I find that unlikely because normally it takes a BIGGER bullet to raise the pressure. How many people routinely tote around ammo bigger than .375? Just a thought.

I would have to agree with Beartooth. Probably overzelous loading at the factory. I would also have to agree with the original owner of the rifle: Ruger Crap. I had a problem with .375 Ruger myself. I am still bitter about it, and the complete lack of customer service on Ruger's part.

Anyhow, hope everything turns out ok, and that $300 dollars was indeed a good deal. I would not have paid $300 for the one I had even without a stuck bolt.

I'm going to find out in about 3 weeks.....that's when I'll be back. He is not one to know much about rifles.....so he prob. did shoot a good 30+ throught it without a cleaning. That could have led to a stuck case and over pressure in this snythetic Alaskan Model. I prob. won't send it to Ruger until I give her a good looking over. First Things first......I will take the stock off......check and inspect everything......spray some oil here n there.....and tap that handle with a soft blow mallet.....this is of course after I make darn sure there is no obstruction in the barrel......or a loaded round!.

he also said he was loading them "single shot".....hope he didnt try to feed her like a pushfeed.............

Default Just pound it open

I've pounded some pretty stuck from overloaded rifles open with a chunk of 2x4 without damaging anything. Of course these were military rifles with one piece forged bolts. Worse was from firing a hot Israeli 8mm military round in a crude late war type 2 7.7 jap. Of course the round had to be pounded in also as it was way oversized.

You have to be much more carefull of todays rifles with cast receivers, multi-piece brazed bolts etc. - pieces break off if you don't treat them gently. They really don't make em like they used to!
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by c04hoosier View Post
    Obviously we don't know the exact circumstances, but if he truly was about halfway through his second box of factory ammo, it would appear that he had the right ammo. Now he could have accidently picked up some other type of ammo he had on the table, but I find that unlikely because normally it takes a BIGGER bullet to raise the pressure. How many people routinely tote around ammo bigger than .375? Just a thought.

I would have to agree with Beartooth. Probably overzelous loading at the factory. I would also have to agree with the original owner of the rifle: Ruger Crap. I had a problem with .375 Ruger myself. I am still bitter about it, and the complete lack of customer service on Ruger's part.

Anyhow, hope everything turns out ok, and that $300 dollars was indeed a good deal. I would not have paid $300 for the one I had even without a stuck bolt.

It certainly is interesting the take we all have on different rifle companies and thier products. It it hard when you have a problem with a product and the company does not respond well. So I understand your discontent with Ruger since you had problems with the product and company.

Now that said, I have for 28yrs bought Ruger bolt actions, #1's and I have yet to have a problem of any kind with their product and as far as accuracy I would put my Ruger Hawkeye M77 358Win up against anyones hunting rifle for accuracy.

I have had disappointing events with a Browning A-Bolt and a Weatherby Vanguard but finally got those issues solve. Of all the rifles I have owned through the years I have only had these two issues except a miss a lined scope base mount hole in a Kimber 8400. I would buy a Ruger Hawkeye in a heart beat from my experiences. I guess it is good that we have different companies to turn to and thereby satisfy our needs and expectations.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

It is interesting and I am curious about the findings. I think you can feed a 375 H&H in the Ruger chamber with some effort. This will expand and rupture the H&H case and push pieces of brass in around the lugs. I have seen this once and was the first round of ammo fired in a new Ruger Alaskan here in Alaska. No I didn't do it. It was simply the wrong ammo purchased. I've also seen a CZ 416 Rigby that fired several 416 Remington rounds before it locked up. The brass all looked funny (!?).

I sold a guy my old Ruger express 30-06 rifle with a fantastic piece of wood on it and he destroyed it (the stock) with, of all things, a 243 round! I cannot figure that out. Sometimes just two boxes of ammo on the bench is trouble.

This past year I saw the Encore that was I think 7mm mag and it accepted and fired a 308 Winchester round. That one locked up but appeared unharmed. Another recently was a 7mm RUM that took a 300 win mag. That rifle stayed in one piece but was totally wrecked, M700 all bulged but didn't fly apart. Then there was a 338 RUM which took a 338 Winmag and locked up tight, I don't know how it turned out. All these were talked about on this forum over the past few years. Oh yeah, and the beautiful 358 Norma, Husqvarna rifle, that was fed a 9.3x62 round, made splinters of the stock. Last weekend I watched a guy fire off his AR rifle rather quickly, two magazines, then leave the range. I picked up his brass and it was reformed 222 Rem headstamp with a very short neck. It worked fine but don't try that at home. I guess he couldn't find 223 ammo.

Though lots of factroy ammo will be outside the SAAMI specs for pressure, it does take a big bunch of pressure to lock up a rifle. I mean to lock it up tight where a strong lift on the bolt doesn't open it. I think that is what this is because a big strong fellow will generally put lots of lift on a bolt in cases like this. I have fired lots of proof loads in rifles and handguns. These are 25% over max peak pressure limits. (measured) The guns generally show no ill effect from that load. (they are supposed to take it.) Typically, modern proof loads are loaded to 75,000 psi. To me they don't seem any different than a normal load when shooting them. Manufacturers today usually just batch sample and proof rifles to about 3-5% of the production run. It takes about 90,000 to 100,000 psi to get brass to flow and that is when guns start to lock up.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Mainer...

FYI, per the Ruger manual, the Hawkeye is designed to be able to single feed shells directly into the chamber like a push feed. That should not be an issue here.

I'm going to keep this topic active, as I want to buy a Ruger 375. I have one Ruger .308 and I like it. Curious to know why this locked up.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast