Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Stove of death - VS - the Snot Blowing Swamp Monster. my moose season 2009

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default The Stove of death - VS - the Snot Blowing Swamp Monster. my moose season 2009

Okay guys here comes a long thread off my journal. i kept track of the moose season in unit 20 A and 20B this year it was a first for me..

I have NOT included photos yet.

1 i am still waiting on a disk from my pard ray.
    2 there is 20+ days of story here so it is already VERY long
    3 photos will be added in another thread soon as i have them...
    4 Yeah i know there are a few crazy things done in here... don't try this at home...

i built it on ms word first i am an not sure how it will all lay out. but i have 25 word pages so i will try to do 2-5 days per post....

good luck hope it is not too awful Boring...

Vince
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default pt 1

The Stove of Death, - vs. -The Snot Blowing Swamp Monster

20+ days of moose hunting unit 20

September first

, moose season opens for most of the general season. My hunting started in the Fairbanks area of 20B as my wife drew the upper little Chena cow moose tag. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php?t=63135
    We started our opening day at lunch time as the office traffic slowed down. On our way home to pick up her gear. We spot a moose just inside the boundary of the hunt area that bordered the Fairbanks management area. Wow this was going to be real quick….

Lol wouldn’t you know it was a small spike bull, and by the requirements of her tag she was not allowed to hunt a bull, has the kids not been in school he would have been split and hung then and there.

So passing this young guy up we continue on to the house and gather her required gear. I drop a quick note about the little bull feeding there maybe someone will pick him up….
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php?t=62607
    Well it seemed someone did a few days later though… across the bumper of their car. Too bad, good information gone to waist and damages done yet again.

This hunt area was I little difficult to figure out in that the F&G did not give any boundaries, If you spit and it runs into the little Chena, you can hunt there… that’s how drainages work.

But with her toting a 19 month along everywhere and being tied to her desk chair as she is we opted to road hunt the Chena hot springs road with in her zone.

You know there is nothing like have the wife yell at you for trying to take her min van down a 4 wheeler trail...I mean what the heck, it fits!!!
    Once again I located a serious hole in her sense of humor.

So after 3hours of road scouting and no more moose’s, she heads back to work … now I am cut loose with my 11 year old to go hunt birds with Daniel in AK. We loaded Cruiser the new Chessy we adopted in Daniels truck and head down the road…

NOW we are road hunting Ducks. The amassment of city life will never end, what will I do next?

Aside from shooting ducks, showing the dog how to swim and retrieve them, how to wade in the muck, without waders. All but how to carry a stick in his mouth. And get some great ribbing from Daniel. But in reality the dog loved the water so much he delivered birds to the opposite side of the pong. Dove for rocks and refused to get dry.

All in all the evening brought 9 ducks, 3 grouse, 1 tired kids, a wet dog and a muddy owner. And the ability to tell the wife we spotted 13 cows Just outside her hunting zone. And found yet one more hole in her humor mobile……Honey? Will you clean these?

September 2nd
    After last night’s disastrous attempt at including her in all the fun,
    I decide to one up it…..

Honey the kids and I are going hunting, yeah I know I said the 15th. But it is the long weekend… yeah I know that is five days without the girls…..
    REALLY I CAN!!!!??!!!!??? DOG? I am taking the dog moose hunting too?

The girls and I load up, head south, and are at moose camp by 730 pm. And surprisingly cruiser did well riding on the wheeler with Alex, he snuggled in behind her and 22 miles later was lavishing it creek side.
    Now… We had been out in Aug as soon as the fire quit and put the tents up...
    This year we splurged and purchased the outfitter shelter logic from AIH… this is an INSULATED wall tent with an R 11 wall and floor…

While we await old ray to show up…. I decide to install the Yukon stove I was given this last summer… you know the type, the old military one with the fuel burner you can attach…. The hardest part was cutting the hole in the new tent. But soon all four cots are up, the stove is in... Send the kids out with a rope and a wheeler… dead trees are stacking up…

930 pm… Ray finally makes it in from clear. As the sun is setting, he is chilled. And happy to see the wood stove in… so how about a fire?

9:32pm strike match on tinder…

By 9:34 pm the temp is a balmy 80+degrees…. By 9:34 and a half... the boiling point of hair has been reached, and by 9:35 it is 2,000,000deg Kelvin the iron ore deposit is melting out from under the tent… all doors and windows are up… and my oldest crawls into her -30 degree
    bag…. Saying perfect it is not hot…. My god dad you’re white. Will you put your shirt back on?

Oh yeah did I forget to mention… there was not a 4” pipe dampener to be had in town? The stove of death proceeded to cook us for 3 more hours before the fire went out… I tried to cook dinner while it was lit and the Coleman stove just wilted under the weight of the ramen noodles….

September 3rd
    I wake a 0 dark 30… Cruiser trying to escape the stove of death found sanctuary under my cot… any one tried to sleep on top of a 93 lb Chesapeake? Every time he rolled over it was like mom snapping the sheets before she folds them… I let him out of the tent lit the stove of death and passed out for another 2 hours.

Okay by now it is 8 am. I have melted nearly 30lbs off of me… and we hit the hill side… balmy 68 deg already near full moon last night…
    First spotted 11 sheep on the hill side above us....and the first set of Horns I have ever seen up there. I tried to count the rings but at 2miles with my Leopold 8x32…. I just could not be sure so I did not take the shot.
    One lone cow spotted. Bill and pat made breakfast at their camp.

September 4th
    Up at 7 am… chastising myself for sleeping in… but I know it is too warm out… head off to buddy Charlie’s camp with some propane hoses he needed… he should be just getting in.
    Immediately spotted 2 cows and a 30” 3x2 bull and they bedded down 20 min later… already hot out bright nights don’t help when the moose’s can play all night…

Pm hunt spotted 4 cows and same bull from this am along with another mulligan rubbing on the poles. Dark 20 min after seeing them... back to camp 1045 pm ray lit the stove of death …. Cruiser lays under my cot in rain of sweat… wondering why he needed to play in the creek?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

September 05
    Up on time… (Almost) 0530….

Fried spuds moose breakfast sausage, and eggs on hill side by 7 am.
    4 bulls spotted largest a 3x2 about 35 inches
    We head over to other side of the valley…
    Myself, Ray. (66) Charlie (48) walker (15) Alex (13) Natalie (11) spotted yet one more small bull and a cow spotted a large sow with twin cubs way up on the hill… Black bears… cubs are legal… if any one wishes to haul up there… LOL GOOD LUCK!!!! Was the comment… my mind starts working…

Evening hunt was moose stew hauled to Charlie’s camp and cooked all day, 3more bulls and 4 cows... no shooters of yet. The full moon is making life rough on us.

September 6th
    On hill side by 7 am… heck with the cooking in the morning... the kids got instant oat meal while I drank coffee…
    Spotted
    1 group 36” 2x2 bull with 3 cows
    2nd group ~45 inch bull 4 cows and a smallish mulligan bull bringing up the rear. And ONE rack poked out of brush... looked big but no good look.

Hit 73 today, no moose 1 hour spotting is all we get for today.
    Evening hunt largest moose yet... an almost 50 3x2 with 2 cows 5 min till dark... to hot out moose are headed UP to alpine jumped cow with calf in beaver pond on way back to camp in the dark.
    Light fire to dry clothes from riding in the mud…. Stove of death keeps us up until 2 am….
    September 7 labor day…
    Up at 0500… HAHA yeah right… back to bed I went. Cruiser looked at me as if I was nuts… poor dog is worn out needs help loading in the Prowler no questions asked though… running between camps is over. He is riding heck with the rest of us.
    0700 ray up barking at me for sleeping in. let the kid’s sleep I said they have to head back today…
    Pack dirty clothes everything else stays. Get out to truck and find 50+ gallons of fuel missing from my transfer tank….

September 8
    Got in late rest up day… haul kids to school and start planning shopping list…

4 “stove dampener tops the list…
    Aleve.
    Sinus medicine. I have been stuffing up bad the last few days.
    Send wife off to work put feet up... and rest

Wife gets home at 630 pm… cranky she worked all day and knows I have been planning hunting. All day…

I have dinner ready. And am on the AODD…….

At 8 30 I tell her to pack up we are headed out
    By 8 38 pm we are driving down Nordale road. And spot a 3 wheeler coming out of woods… guy and his wife, as we pull in to parking area by little chena… a cow moose follows the wheeler out of the woods.

Well honey... there is your cow… http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php?t=63135

2 shots later with my 300WM a visit by the trooper, and some help we are back in the drive way butt calling Wldboar at 10:38pm 2 hours start to finish.

September 9
    Hang the meat from Kim’s moose; head off to office to spell her a bit.

September 10…
    All day. Process the cow, cut wrapped and about 40lbs ready for grinder. 3 loads in the canner… 2 more to go.

September 11,
    get up pay my respects to New York; I will never forget that morning.

Finish canning grab ray, and head back out of town. 630 pm dinner at clear sky, 730pm loaded and on the trail. Natalie stayed home to go to friend’s house Alex is on Honda 500 myself on Suzuki Vinson 500 and ray on AC prowler.

18 miles in trailer only touched trail 3 times ray said… made good time though… but busted the bead on the trailer… puff it back up,, and at camp by 1115pm….of the 2 cases of beer… 21 beers made it. And they are in POOR shape.
    Stove of death awaits us…. Still no dampener, my nose is working like a faucet with busted O-rings… won’t shut off…

meet on face book here

September 12
    Today Is the day… I can feel it.
    Pass me the tissue
    All day to spot 3 moose.. All bulls all in the alpine in VERY hard to reach areas… one is definitely over 50 closer to 60…..
    One is maybe... the third is ONE large large large, paddle snoozing on the hill side…

The one we can clearly see is up where the Black bears were spotted the weekend before… 3 hours of spotting and planning a fast lunch at camp... and we make our attempt…
    (With 7 wheelers… whod a thunk eh?) What the heck it is the a fun time to hunt we honestly did not think we would get up there…

But I had spent a week studying the hill side, creeks draws and willow/ grass patches… and next thing we know we are 600 yards below one very big moose still bedded down.
    Charlie and I take Alex and Walker…. Kids get first shot…

I make them decide which of them will fire first… Walker says SHE CAN!!!

Ok son you back her up and we will back you both up…
    I look at Charlie and told him don’t get greedy…
    He looks back what do you mean?
    It is the kid’s moose let them do it…
    Yeah okay… all I want is the horns…. I coulda snatched him bald… NO it is the kid’s moose. If they get it they get the horns….
    We make a plan. And I went against my instincts... and allowed Charlie to lead... we made it to 400 yards and managed to spot the rack disappear over the ridge.
    The kids don’t care they are excited to have done the first stalk of the season.
    Head back down to wheelers… mark GPS and head down hill… back at camp I realize I lost my Leopold’s…
    I will head up in am to locate them…

September 13
    Up on mountain at 10 am Charlie says I can’t get any higher... HMMMMM

I love that word CAN’T…. first find glasses…
    Done
    Second...
    LETS GO RIDING!
    Up, up, up, up,…. Oh oh… almost tip… re route…

A little more brush… a few big rocks and we are where no 4 wheelers have ever been…. We are in the bowl the sow and cubs were spotted the week before,,, nearly 2700 foot up the south face of the dome.

Alex hears a grunt.. And look up and see a small bull about 900 yards above us…

So let’s have fun while we are here. I had not done any calling yet…
    A little moose magnet on a rock, a dance with my Montana moose decoy, (thanks Marc Taylor) and 20 min later this little 20” 2x2 was standing 30 yards from us.

Headed off mtn.
    Back at camp ready Alex to be picked up in Ferry. That eve.
    She wants to ride over to the burn first.. And look at the damage..
    It was cool to see the green sprouts already showing. In the places that did not go to the rock.

330 pm Kim pick up Alex and brings me two new cases of beer… and I didn’t even ask for any… AH some women just know what’s what….
    Ray and I run ferry trail at 50mph headed back to camp… I let him lead as my susi. Fits neatly behind his prowler, just inside his dust funnel…
    Lots of strange looks as we blew by boot hill. Me 6 feet off his tail with a dual dust cloud billowing behind me…
    Made it back in time for eve hunt… spotted 3 cows and 1 possible spike wind kicked up head to camp 8 30 pm stove of death…. Gets lit….
    As my toe nails curled into themselves…..and my teeth dripped from my head… we settle in over a plate of chili Mac made with Mule deer burger.. ( My first time for deer) a few cold beers, some capt Morgan’s and off to the bed. I am not sure how much longer my slumber jack will hold up to the stove of death I am sure … the legs have lost a few inches …..

September 14
    Off 0600 day for just spotting…

Moose are moving all day. Bull/ cow pairs running all directions.
    Lots of cow… nearly 30 spotted today.. Along with 7 bulls…
    Send Ray in on his FIRST moose stalk … it is the funniest looking spike I have ever seen..

It was originally dubbed a cow until it started rubbing.. And had spikes shooting straight up off its head like a little deer.
    Ray and bill get to 30 yards and walk by it in the brush as I spot of hill side there goes the only legal bull of the day.
    September 15
    Up 4 am…
    Let Ray sleep the ol guy is getting drug down. Propane ran out last night… I change bottles and grudgily light the stove of death so he does not catch a chill in his sleep….

As the temp in the tent, reaches SOLAR proportions, I head off to creek for some calling . At daylight.

meet on face book here

Today we spotted 3 bulls butting heads down by bills camp. Head across hill to spot another creek drainage, and see 3 cows that haul ass from sound of the wheelers.
    I tell Ray… early night we have chores to do….
    1 cut wood
    2 take out stove of Death…and replace it with… you guessed it… one 5 times its size….LOL who would have thought a 55 gallon barrel stove would make a better heat that would regulate and last all night?
    Our first good night sleep… BTW… barrel stove was already stored there from last season… and our tarp temp on the claim..
    Call Daniel in AK. Verify he is coming soon… Thursday 11 am we will pick him up…
    10 30 pm… WOW the STARS and Northern LIGHTS ARE AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!
    September, 16..
    Wow slept great.. Kicked stove of death across the yard a little further. Did about 45 min of calling mostly scrape and beat brush.. Moose are still quite in the night. Spend day watching yet more unshootable mooses….

6pm… head out of camp for even hunt. Spot black bear track in trail let ray know to keep eye open they were not there an hour ago.
    Get to trail head and find bills 4 wheeler sitting there.
    ***? He never parks here…. I stop… look around for him… don’t want to run the wheeler out if he is on a stalk… look up 150 yards away Black bear has its nose to the trail… takes me a second to figure out it is TRACKING BILL>!
    I let out a cow call.. And the bear turns to look at me… but puts nose back to the trail…. And then realized I was not a moose and stepped back out to get a better look…
    AS my 180 gn accubond loaded with 75.5 grains of Rl 22 split both shoulders. As I reload…. I walk forward and the bear jumps straight up in the air… and starts spinning biting at its wound. Second shot…
    180 gn Nosler ballistic tip pick him up off the ground and drops it like a rag doll… by now I am at 100 yards and closing.

Ray seeing his first bear go down is like a 66 year old kid…

Completely oblivious to his surroundings as he is trying to run past me to look… I grab him and ORDER HIM BACK to his wheeler…. As the bear flies off the ground yet again…. And starts to spin….. and spin. And spin… I am waiting for his flight path… not sure where bill is… the old guy behind me not paying any attention… and the bear is Roaring and SPINNININININNINING….

RAY!!!! Get back to that wheeler! Don’t make me worry about you while a bear is down!!!> NOW DAMINT!!!!

I am closing on the bear. 50 yards It stops in mid spin. And looks at me. And turns finally another shot… another Ballistic tip through the spine… he is down.. but trying to crawl…. This guy has SAND ! I walk up to the bear and drop 2 in the skull with my 45.
    RAY? NOW you can come over here!
    I look up on the hill and see bills hunt partner watching… and hear BOOM!..... bill was 200 yards away up the hill. Waiting for the fork horn to step out one more step when I lit off on the bear. The moose held tough until I was done then made his final thought as he met a 375 H&H…
    By now it is 7 pm… photos done.. let’s leave bear.. get the moose done by 9 pm getting dark load bear on my front rack and head over to bills camp…
    We got his moose hung and out came the Gen set with the halogen lights… get bear skinned and quartered by mid night… all three of my shots were lethal in the boiler room, 2 slugs were found while quartering.

And then… and then…. and then began the moosapaloosa tradition….

See, last year I skinned bills moose also.. And out came the black berry brandy, the vodka, bloody Mary mix, and miller light…

Needless to say.. I spent the night at bills camp… I guess I got pretty good at doing my impression of the caribou grazing my way into the tent..the comment was… never seen a guy bounce his head off the ground that many times and laugh so hard about it.
    September 17…
    Up at 8 am… need a few more beers in us to operate. And keep the worst part at bay….

11 am… after a 22 mile wheeler ride we pick up Daniel in AK… yeah were still drunk…. Good thing the game warden was not out today.

Oh yeah Dan… We have a bear to flesh today…

Thank god he showed up… Bill had 25 lbs of salt in his rig, Daniel showed me out to remove the feet and turn lips ears etc…. and we got the skull out.

Hmmm so evening time is quickly approaching…

So guys you ready for yet another evening of moose looking?
    Daniel is on his first moose hunt, Ray has yet to shoot one. Daniel asks if we see one who is shooting.. well you guys are I have shots tons of moose… I am not shooting one unless you make. Me….

meet on face book here

Default end

2 min from camp.
    I pop out into clearing jump 3 cows. Who immediately BOLT at the speed of light… and leave this nice bull licking air…

As my gun clears the case and I look at him at 40 yards In the scope … I say legal bull. 4 BT on one side… Daniel is alongside me loading his… as ray is fighting his out of the case…

The bull is suddenly aware his cows were gone but he was not alone…

Looking over at us as Ray races from the back of the line…. And his feet left the ground as he turned for the brush Daniel is yelling at me SHOOT IT…. As the moose feet touch the ground ……

The 180 gn ACCUBOND makes the rest of him follow…. Moose down in his tracks.
    And behind me I hear…

DAMINIT VINCE!!!! I wanted to shoot it… you don’t get to lead any more.

We are measuring (54") and taking photos.. and a herd of cows run below us with several bulls hot after them… Daniel goes to take a look… I tell ray head back to the creek they will come out there…
    Well the poor guy….
    Drove his wheeler over there and Daniel much to my pleasure… and dismay…

Drops a spike bull 500 yards from mine… OH CRAP… it will be a long night..
    By now it is 7pm. Send ray after wagon. And get to work.
    Back at camp 1230 am 2 mooses. Quartered and laid out… I look like I have been in a Jason Vs Freddy movie.. and pass out. The entire time…

Daniel is asking

VINCE? Will we do any HUNTING, this trip? Or just SHOOTING?

September 18

Sleep in till 0730… ray is sick I am sick… I am blowing green snot nonstop at this point. Daniel the pharmacist has decongestants along… along with a hand full of Aleve. We have meat to hang and only ONE pole up…

We get Daniel moose up first .we are short bags as Ray loaned a few to Bill when he got his… and the bear is now also in a few of them..
    So we tent the poles with tarps and ready the second.

Mid way through Ray is worn clean out… Daniel and I Find him snoozing on his cot… a few well placed bottles.. 1 Jim beam, 1 capt Morgan, and 2 Caroline’s… tucked under his arm and a photo for the wife… Daniel and I get back to work…
    Second moose up, and start again on the bear hide.. get 90% of the fleshing done… toes all done and get it salted as the rain sets in…
    Raining heavy all night. Clouds setting in and heavy fog on trail.. we discuss getting meat out. And get to work on the equipment to haul it.
    The Honda trailer has seized an inner bearing… that was less than a month old…. ***!!!! I am beside myself as I have only one bike that will fit the bridge.
    We ride the rain out and tend our sore muscles and meat.

September 19th.

Rain is letting up.. we plan on a haul out.. boning some to fit in a cooler on the rack of the bike without a trailer.
    Get all geared up. And head out for the bridge. Tell ray to follow in two hours with the big trailer. As we have to run to clear and get the other truck to carry it all. ….

Up the mountain we head… Daniel is pushing as I am towing… 3miles to the top.. as we near the peak… Daniel yells at me… as I turn my heart falls.
    The Honda right front wheel is sitting at a 45 deg angle … on inspection the lower bal joint is broken….

I unhitch… and take him. Back… reconfigure our loads to lose some gear that was headed out to accept the meat the Honda has on board.
    I head off alone… with Daniels keys a load of meat and Daniels Gear.. he will follow with ray.
    530 pm… load Dans truck and run for ferry for mine and a trailer.
    8 pm Ray and Daniel show up with a crowd of any bull hunters with all the Tiny racks…
    First trip across bridge with trailer bust bead on tire… now all the meat needs to be carried on the rack. My buddy in ferry fires his wheeler up also and helps carry meat and racks. We left a shoulder hanging on his meat pole.
    Dinner at clear Sky… and home at 11pm… for a few hours…
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php?t=63911

September 20.

Ray and Daniel up at my house hanging meat… and ray and I Ready to go retrieve the camp. But we need a day or two to get parts. My Susi.. Brakes are GONE. And rays Prowler does not want to idle though we left it at the bridge in care of a neighbor there.
    So we plan on Tuesday…..
    September 22

Tuesday The Return.
    Ray meets me at 900 am… and we go have breakfast in town… then we pick up the NEW 2010 Arctic cat Prowler 700 EFI he bought the day before.
    LOL Cody at NPS asked if we wanted it washed first. …
    Head for Clear and get unloaded… guess what it is SNOWING!!!!
    Ray leave my place and I head over to the bridge to pick up his 08 650.. and the meat wagon…
    By the time I get up top I am running in full winter gear fur hat and a GPS to stay on the road… I reach the point that I turn off and nearly run head on in to a drag line parked on the hill. Well at least NOW! I know where I am…
    8 more miles to go.
    I am breaking snow drifts 2 foot deep and running in 6 inches of fresh FALLING snow. I roll into camp 3 hours later then usual
    Ray is 3 hour behind me yet…
    September 23rd

BRRRRRRR 17 deg out and frozen.
    Head up the hill to start on Honda and come up with a plan… NO ball joint the dealer said 3 weeks.
    So I strip the front end and attach it to my small trailer I repaired. 6 hours later it was sitting in ferry waiting for pick up.
    September 24th.

Up at 7am breaking camp… Roll tents tarps stoves onto the pallets and load the steel drums with the stuff bears like to get into..
    It is cold the ground has frozen nearly 6 inches so far and the trail is getting hard..
    Ray fires up the older Prowler and moving it around broke a front axle that had been clicking on it.
    So NOW I get to have some fun. 26 miles out in 2wd…
    Dinner at clear sky and home….
    September 25th

. moosie season is closing now. I wake up at 345 am.
    OWWWWW!!! I have a fever, it is in my spine… my face is a running snot ball, and the wife is threatening to haul me to the ER.
    The weekend is spent running 103-104 fever, unable to move, my spine is on FIRE teeth and nails buried into the carpet… and i know why it is called the piglet flu...

At least I finished moose season…..

meet on face book here

Made it all the way through, was pretty entertaining! One of these years I hope to get that any bull tag there. Sounds a lot like my hunting trips, though prepare to be blasted by those that think having alcohol in camp is a mortal sin, I think not having it is....good story.

Vince you have a gift for the funneh!

Stove of Death cracked me up

Default Awesome Reading

Vince, great rendition of hunting season! I had a lot of entertaining mental images. Your style reminds me of Patrick F. McManus. I think we all can appreciate the "stove of death".

Thumbs up way to go Vince!

Great report.

If my wife were to read that she'd say the same thing she says after my hunts are over: "And you do that for fun?" Yeah, she just doesn't get it - but that's OK; her tolerance makes up for that.

I look forward to the pictures - the more the better.

Thanks!

Oh, and sorry to bug you today in the middle of your work day and flu-recovery - hadn't heard from you and no response from you - I was really starting to think it was time to load up the wheelers and come after you!

Great write up!! Had me laughing most of the morning!!

Default Just wanted to say...

I enjoyed your posts and "the stove of death". Been there before and can feel your pain. Good writing too.

Default wow

All I can say is you are one determined so & so. GReat post and I can't wait to see all of the pics.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Great report.

If my wife were to read that she'd say the same thing she says after my hunts are over: "And you do that for fun?" Yeah, she just doesn't get it - but that's OK; her tolerance makes up for that.

I look forward to the pictures - the more the better.

Thanks!

Oh, and sorry to bug you today in the middle of your work day and flu-recovery - hadn't heard from you and no response from you - I was really starting to think it was time to load up the wheelers and come after you!

LOL the wife said ...after you calle,

he is just looking for another reason to go play..rescue misson was just your excuse.

meet on face book here

good read vince - sounds like fun to me!

Thumbs up

Thats one heck of a fine wright up. Better than many Alaska hunting books I've read

Thumbs up

Dang,
    I am exhausted just reading about your escapade. You wore me out. I gotta get some rest now. Sounds as though you and your pards had a fun time and that is what it is really about.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default Quite the moose season!

Vince, thanks for the story, thoroughly enjoyed it.

Ya know, what I've done when I don't have a damper is to cut a horizontal slot in stovepipe and use a spatula or another piece of tin in that slot as damper. I hate the stove-of-death scenarios, been there done that <grin>!

Hope you are recovering okay, sounds terrible that piglet flu. Glad you guys got meat in, got the kids out, wife got a moose too, lots of hard work and long days for sure. Looking fwd to pics.

Thumbs up

Vince thanks for the great read! Sounds like the typical hunting experience just a bit longer than most of ours go. Not sure my wife is ready to put up with me hunting for that many days or if my body could handle it! If catastrophes and challenges did not occur on hunts half the fun would be gone.

Hope you recover quickly from the flu!

Rob

Default LOL, good story!

Thanks for posting Vince! If everything went perfectly we'ld probably forget we even went!
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast