Thread: Gun dipping???

Default Gun dipping???

Do any gunsmiths "dip" guns in camo finishes?

The camo finishes you see on the factory guns are generally decals that are floated on top of a liquid and the gun is lowered into and on top of the floating decal. The liquid presses the decal around the irregular surfaces and then the excess is trimmed off. Haven't heard of anyone offering this as an aftermarket service.

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    The camo finishes you see on the factory guns are generally decals that are floated on top of a liquid and the gun is lowered into and on top of the floating decal. The liquid presses the decal around the irregular surfaces and then the excess is trimmed off. Haven't heard of anyone offering this as an aftermarket service.

APW does as I recall

Default Check into Duracoat

While not dipped and rather sprayed on. Duracoat the product most often I hear about, many manufactures using it on shotguns right out of the factory. Lauer Weaponary sells it and if you any good with an airbrush you could do it yourself otherwise there is guy in Eagle River that does it.

Default I know who does

Check out www.blackicecoatings.com. Lee just bought a new business. I have had him teflon several of my guns. He does great work and very reasonably priced. I'm expecting my AR back from him any day now. He has been looking into this other business for a while now. He is moving into his new shop. To give you an idea, he does Christinsen Arms guns. Give him a call and he will be glad to tell you about the new dipping process. He hasn't incorporated this into his website yet. I just talked to him the other day. I can't say enough good things about his work. My buddy was just on a moose hunt and fell into the river. He just swabbed out the bore and his rifle was good to go. The guys in camp were amazed and he showed them his rifle up close. Anyway, give him a call...