Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got my John Ross 500

Default Got my John Ross 500

yesterday and now I'm looking for brass to load. Bought a set RCBS carbide dies from Midway last night. Buying this has really caught me flat footed, usually I try to plan(buy) ahead and have things ready when I get the gun. The ammo and component shortage isn't helping me any, either.
    Steve

Smile

Good luck with getting it running soon. Bet old Elmer is smileing like crazy with all the big guns we have now days

Yep, Elmer was always one of my heros.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    yesterday and now I'm looking for brass to load. Bought a set RCBS carbide dies from Midway last night. Buying this has really caught me flat footed, usually I try to plan(buy) ahead and have things ready when I get the gun. The ammo and component shortage isn't helping me any, either.
    Steve
    Nothing wrong with a snap purchase, especially if it is something of value, and you can afford it. Now is the time for sweaty palms as you acquire the goodies to make it go bang.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

When you reload I would suggest using Winchester Large Pistol Primers as opposed to large rifle primers. I started out using both Fed 210M and CCI BR2's and after talking with John Linebaugh about the 500 Linebaugh Maximum I switched over to the WLP primers. The 500 Linebaugh Maximum is the same length as the 500 Smith, only it has a 510 bore as oppossed to a 500 bore. According to John he found the WLP gave 8K psi to 12K psi less peak pressure than CCI 350's and rifle primers according to a pressure test barrel he had access to. The velocity difference between the rifle and WLP primers will run 25 to 35 fps less with the WLP. I have verified the velocity difference myself with my Oehler 33 chronograph with 440, 500 and 535 grain hard cast bullets. My hand wasn't able to tell the difference and the JR500 shot well with all primers in full house loads, so why not go with less pressure? I don't really understand the issues with the large pistol primer to begin with but both the 500 Linebaugh and Maximum never experienced the problems and I haven't experienced any so far with the WLP's and don't expect to either. These are my thoughts, so that them for what there worth - not much.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    When you reload I would suggest using Winchester Large Pistol Primers as opposed to large rifle primers. I started out using both Fed 210M and CCI BR2's and after talking with John Linebaugh about the 500 Linebaugh Maximum I switched over to the WLP primers. The 500 Linebaugh Maximum is the same length as the 500 Smith, only it has a 510 bore as oppossed to a 500 bore. According to John he found the WLP gave 8K psi to 12K psi less peak pressure than CCI 350's and rifle primers according to a pressure test barrel he had access to. The velocity difference between the rifle and WLP primers will run 25 to 35 fps less with the WLP. I have verified the velocity difference myself with my Oehler 33 chronograph with 440, 500 and 535 grain hard cast bullets. My hand wasn't able to tell the difference and the JR500 shot well with all primers in full house loads, so why not go with less pressure? I don't really understand the issues with the large pistol primer to begin with but both the 500 Linebaugh and Maximum never experienced the problems and I haven't experienced any so far with the WLP's and don't expect to either. These are my thoughts, so that them for what there worth - not much.
    In high pressure loads like 460/500 S&W, 454 Casull, and I assume your 500 Linebaugh using pistol primers can damage the firing pin over time even if you don't get the burn though of pierced primers. I have read several references to this from S&W, Corbon and others, but just now when I looked for a reference for you I could not find one handy. Containing more pressure (and handling heat it makes) is the reason they make rifle primers.

I have used LPPs in my 460S&W and found that they show pressure signs even in moderate loads of about 45,000cup. They come out flat with a sharp edge around the firing pin dent and sometimes even showing heat discoloration . . . these are things that 40 years of reloading tell me are not very good to have.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

The 500 Linebaugh was designed to opperate at mid 30kpsi loads, the 500 S&W was designed for 50kpsi loads.

That said, the 475 Linebaugh is desinged for 50kpsi loads, and utilizes pistol primers. I've never heard of anyone having problems with piercing pistol primers w/ the 475 linebaugh, and I know some folks that push them as hard as they can.

I wouldn't be so concerned about the 500 S&W piercing the large pistol cups, but since large pistol primers are shorter than large rifle primers (I think the difference is 0.015" but don't quote me) I'd be concerned that in a case designed for the large rifle primer, the deeper set large pistol primer might not get a sufficient strike from the hammer for consistant ignition.

JoeJ, better bone up on your reading.
    http://www.john-ross.net/pdfs/maghist.pdf
    The S&W 500 operates at 60,000 psi and it's not a problem with damage to the firing pin but, mis and hang fires with SP primers.
    Steve

Well, maybe I shouldn't have posted, as it's always better to be 99.9% safe than 99.5% safe when talking about reloading, as each of us have done things relative to reloading the same way for several decades and are still learning a thing or two every now & then. Like I said before - I don't understand the issues that led to a few guns experiencing the problem back when but I've never heard of any problems using LP primers since the startup of the 500 Smith. There's warnings out there about using pistol primers in place of rifle primers relative to the 500 Smith brass but I would hazard a guess that lawyers are the cause for the warnings. Like Paul H advised there are a few people around that have a lot of rounds fired with the 475 Linebaugh and they (the one's I'm familiar with) are using the fed 150 primer (large pistol primer). The 500 JRH - small cousin to the 500 Smith - uses large pistol primers without a problem and the pressure is right up there with the big boys. The large rifle primer will perform just fine but I'll just keep using the WLP's, as they work just fine in my hand cannons and the peak pressure curve should be a tad lower than rifle primers.

"but, mis and hang fires with SP primers."
    Sorry, meant to say LP primers not SP primers. Now, I'm getting mixed up?
    Steve

"but, mis and hang fires with SP primers."
    Sorry, meant to say LP primers not SP primers. Now, I'm getting mixed up?
    Steve
    I think everyone knew what you meant - forgot to congratulate you on the JR500, so a belated congratulation on the purchase of a fine revolver. You have an excellent revolver there and if you push that puppy it will push back more so than the compensated 4Ē Smith, but itís all good. If youíre going to hunt with it you might want to spend a grand or so with this company.
    http://www.earinc.com/p1-electronic.php

JoeJ, I already use electronic hearing protection with my .44 mags.
    Steve

Been loading for both of my S&W 500's for a few years and never seen the need to change from the recommended LR primers to the LP primers.
    Personally I would think if the LP offered a significant decrease in pressure the factories would jump all over it and recommend them.

Wonder why there was so much confusion when this round first came out and some of the afterrmarket brass (Starline) made it through without mentioning the LR primer requirement.

Anyhow, great pistol. If I didnt already own a 4 in version I would of picked one of the JR models up for myself.
    Tennessee

Starline are now cast for LR primers. Early, they were cast for LP primers. I've tried to stay up on these things so when I could afford a 500, I would be ready. As a side not, I've never been so unprepared for a new revolver like this before, I'm having a hard time locating everything involved with 500 S&W. Finally, today, ordered some live ammo from Midway at what's considered reasonable price?
    Steve

Starline are now cast for LR primers. Early, they were cast for LP primers. I've tried to stay up on these things so when I could afford a 500, I would be ready. As a side not, I've never been so unprepared for a new revolver like this before, I'm having a hard time locating everything involved with 500 S&W. Finally, today, ordered some live ammo from Midway at what's considered reasonable price?
    Steve
    I don't have a 500 S&W but have been told this is the place to get ammo for them at a reasonable price.

http://ballisticsupply.net/
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    I don't have a 500 S&W but have been told this is the place to get ammo for them at a reasonable price.

http://ballisticsupply.net/
    I found two boxes of Federal 275 grain bullet at Midway for $42@ box?
    Steve

Steve - was that a box containing 20 rounds? Ballistic Supply isn't up and running yet after there move but their price is more like $1.20 to $1.40 a shot, which is less than $2.10 a shot you paid if the box only contained 20 rounds. You can reload for approximately $0.27 a shot and if you cast your own the cost would probably be in the neighborhood of $0.22 or less depending on how you acquire your lead. Prior to obtaining 600 grain bullets from Ranger Rick I purchased a box of 600 grainers from Ballistic Supply, as they had them advertised as flying right at 1,300fps and I assumed that was from a 4" Smith. I never shot their round until this past summer and I think I assumed wrong because they flew over my chronograph at 1,148fps from a 4" Smith and 1,157fps out of the JR500, so I don't think they tested their 600 grain cartridge with a 4" barrel - I'm waiting for them to come back on line, so I can ask them how they got the 1,300fps. I can get 1,300fps reloading with Lil'Gun but the barrel gets very hot using that powder. 1,150fps with a 600 grain is more than enough for anything I can think of and the recoil is considerably "tamer" compared to what it is at 1,300fps.

Yes, the ammo from Midway is 20@box, and from Ballistic supply they want $60@20 rounds? I didn't bother to check shipping from BS but, Midway's is shipped price. I've a set of RCBS carbides coming from supplier but, nothing has arrived yet, I also need to order a mold or two. Brass, as you know is in short supply everywhere.
    Steve
    Wildalaska

Steve - Ballistic Supply prices are for 50 rounds. Starline currently has Smith 500 brass for sale and immediately delivery. Price is $145.70 for 250 cases plus insurance, which is around $1.25, so price to your door should be around $147.00. Their number is 1-800-280-6660

Thanks. I'll have to look into these.
    Steve

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast