Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boy's first kill.

Default Boy's first kill.

My son and I walked about 5 miles looking for bunnies or birds and had a nice outing. The game was a little scarce, but we did come across a strutting male spruce grouse. My son closed the distance from 60 yards to 25 yards. He pulled up with the Winchester model 9410 lever action shottie. One shot, steady as heck, bird down. I couldn't wipe that smile off of his face if I tried. It was his first kill. We built a bonfire with the family and cooked up some moose hot dogs and his grouse. It was a good day.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice work... Better frame that picture and hang it in his room.. I have my 'first kill' photo hangin in my room and Im 25 now.. never forget it....

Very cool. Tell me about that shotgun - is it a current model? If so, what was the rough price on it? I'm looking for a .410 that will fit a child shooter, and I like the idea of a lever action gun.

Congratulations, you have a "Nukalpiaq" (translated means: Good Hunter and Provider) in training. I too remember my first outing, I shot a teal duck, gave it to an old Elder woman in the village since it was my first kill. This is an old Yup'ik tradition; then we will receive the Elder's blessing and we will have good Hunter's luck on future hunts.

Brian, the Rossi Tuffy is a very small single shot .410 built for the little guys! Comes in blued/stainless and is less than 200 bucks! Holds a few rounds in the butt-stock also and is very light

The free option would be to use my NEF single shot .410. I could use the safe space You can see it's worked before...

Default 410 for the little ones

Brian,
    I bought my daughters a Rossi that was similar to the one described by hunt_AK. The one I got my girls was the 22/410 combo, so they got 2 guns for one price. The whole upper changes out, so they can shoot one or the other. I think they have them at Walmart for around $160. They are real nice shooters, and small enough for the rug rats to start out on.

Cast&Blast - Tell the boy congrats. What a cool day for a little man.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Tell me about that shotgun - is it a current model? If so, what was the rough price on it?
    The shotgun is not necessarially a youth model gun. I love shooting it, it has rifle sights for easy sight pictures -- kinda cool--kinda pricey too -- around $300 and bought it new about 5 years ago. It's a bit big for my kiddo, but it sure works for him.

hunt_ak suggested the Rossi Tuffy,-- that looks like a nice little shooter for a kiddo -- I'll look into that too.

I remember getting guns for christmas when all my friends were getting Nintendos. I intend not to change the tradition.

Nukalpiak: that is awsome! I love the word and feel connected to it's meaning. With permission, I think I'll use that word through out my life.

I love AK!

Nukalpiak: that is awsome! I love the word and feel connected to it's meaning. With permission, I think I'll use that word through out my life.

Cast&Blast,
    By saying the word Nukalpiaq it has already become yours to use. To help with correct pronunciation, here is a little assistance. Nukalpiaq (Nu-guth-pac), guth is pronounced like Guthrie without the "rie".

Default Here's my grandson Toddy...

... and his dad last Saturday. His first spruce chicken too. He took it with a Stevens single shot .28 ga., a much sweeter dosage than a .410 in my opinion. Sorry about the resolution... phone camera in the rain.

Default Tell him...

Quote Originally Posted by Nukalpiaq View Post

Cast&Blast,
    By saying the word Nukalpiaq it has already become yours to use. To help with correct pronunciation, here is a little assistance. Nukalpiaq (Nu-guth-pac), guth is pronounced like Guthrie without the "rie".
    ... he might want to press the tip of his tongue against the back of his top teeth to make that middle syllable or he might sound, well.... a bit "lithpy"

I picked up a cheap russian single shot in 410 and cut it down to 18" barrel with a very short length of pull for my 6yr old boy. He has onlye killed a couple of cans with it so far. Last year I cut down an old 22lr bolt gun and put a red dot scope on it. The red dot was great because he can keep both eyes open and just put the dot on the target, it was also nice to be able to look over his shoulder and help him aim with. Here he is with a couple of rabbits he got last year.

I cut down the 410 this year hopeing he wouldn't need the help aiming it. It actually patterns pretty good even with open choke out to 25 yards or so.

Thumbs up

I just gotta saw WOW... this thread is awesome! Those are some great pictures! Congrats to all involved. It is great to see so many young hunters getting out in the woods and having fun.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Congratulations guys. I am very jealous! My son (first child) is 7 weeks old and I can not wait until the day I can take him hunting and fishing. My wife laughs at me because he had 3 guns before he was even born. His grand total is 4 now. Dang I cant wait!
    "A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine." Marley and Me

Quote Originally Posted by ARKY View Post
    Congratulations guys. I am very jealous! My son (first child) is 7 weeks old and I can not wait until the day I can take him hunting and fishing. My wife laughs at me because he had 3 guns before he was even born. His grand total is 4 now. Dang I cant wait!
    Can I be your kid too? I'll promise to be good...

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

LOL awesome thread! my girls where with their mom for so long they had to wait a few years before they got the time with me to get the Bunnie thing done...

now they are all over bears and moose... ENJOY every second of it they grow faster then you can imagine. it won't be long i will be taking the girls and their boyfriends hunting too... oldest is 14 here soon.

she was just 5 last week.... trying to set her first snare.... she asked me to rent a hotel for her sweet 16 in two years.....

Hunt get of the stick and make your dad a grappy... then you can buy all the guns you want......
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

That is awesome!! My son just got his first grouse the other day and the **** pic wont come off my phone. It is a feeling you cant describe and I will be sure to have my camera with me next time. Now my other kids cant wait to get out there and start there life in the woods and im all smiles about it. Hey a secondary benefit about your kids loving hunting is you have another excuse to give your wife for heading out!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ga2akwild View Post
    That is awesome!! My son just got his first grouse the other day and the **** pic wont come off my phone.
    What kind of phone? Surely you can send it to yourself in an email...

Cast N Blast - congrats to you and your son! I know exactly how you feel - I got to watch my son shoot his first game in August while I was home on leave in August - two Ptarmies.

Brian - I bought my son a Mossberg youth model 505 pump action .410 and he LOVES it. I don't remember the exact price, but it was very reasonable. I highly recommend it.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    What kind of phone? Surely you can send it to yourself in an email...
    Nope, i can receive pictures but cant send them to anyone and its on the phone and not an SD card.... Ive tried everything I know

What kind of phone? We'll try and uncage that thing...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast