Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moose on the Glenn

Default Moose on the Glenn

Anybody see that moose that got hit this morning on the Glenn? It was bumper to bumper, and I was trying not to rubber neck, but couldn't help but to look, and it looks like he went over 50" I would say, but he was nice....I just hate to see'em go down like that.

was a nice healthy breeding bull, what a waste. I was more pissed that it took 45 minutes to get past the area. Doesn't anyone direct traffic anymore

3rd bull I've seen since the 25th.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

He sure the heck wasn't up near Eklutna this weekend when I was trying to call him in.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Default Next time...

Quote Originally Posted by jmg View Post
    He sure the heck wasn't up near Eklutna this weekend when I was trying to call him in.
    ... don't use an airhorn, jmg.

But then, sledhands says you can shoot around as much as you want, and they'll come right to ya. Give that a try next season.

Default Picture

My brother emailed me this picture of that bull hit on the glenn yesterday.

Not a good pic as he was up to speed again when he went by, and took it with a phone cam.

Nice bull, a shame to see him go this way.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Anyone got a beater car for sale? Seems like I'd be better off using a car than a rifle this year! Why doesn't the "law" offer the driver to lay claim to the carcass?
    Respect what you do not own but are privleged to enjoy, Mother Earth thanks you...

Quote Originally Posted by Montana Native View Post
    Anyone got a beater car for sale? Seems like I'd be better off using a car than a rifle this year! Why doesn't the "law" offer the driver to lay claim to the carcass?
    So guys with "beater" cars don't kill all of the moose.

Quote Originally Posted by Montana Native View Post
    I know down in Washington, my brother was talking about mounting an arrow to each front corner of his car, just in case. At least that way, he could claim he got it with the arrow first before hitting the "wounded" deer/elk with the car.

Where on the Glenn was this? Apparently I leave to early in the morning to see this kind of stuff....

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Where on the Glenn was this? Apparently I leave to early in the morning to see this kind of stuff....
    Bro told me it was about a mile before birchwood, heading in from the valley????

Nope, roughly 1 mile north of Eklutna on the south bound side.

I'd say around 845ish?

My wife whacked a moose up on Hiland Rd late fall, 07. F'n cop stuck around and waited for the tow truck...he just KNEW what I was gonna do had he left. Tow truck woulda found a gut pile, lol. For our rental fees, deductible, 90 days without a truck and $14k in repairs, I think we earned it!

I think the driver should haev the right of first refusal to a moose kill. But, they hafta punch a harvest tag!
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Was thinking it might have been near Ft Rich, have seen a few get splattered out that way over the years. I'm with ya TWB, if your vehicle kills the moose, you should get first dibs on the meat, unless you already filled your tag if you had one.

Growing up in Willow we had a neighbor whack one in his Toyota truck. The moose crushed the cab and landed deader 'n a door nail in the bed of his truck! There he was going about 30 mph past the house heading home with his head out the window (so he could see) and the moose legs sticking out of the bed! I don't know if he even stopped....
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Was thinking it might have been near Ft Rich, have seen a few get splattered out that way over the years. I'm with ya TWB, if your vehicle kills the moose, you should get first dibs on the meat, unless you already filled your tag if you had one.
    Out of high school I worked at the airport. Right at Earthquake Park, someone nailed a 72" bull. He was quite impressive to watch during rut.

We're going after one today this is suppose to be over 60"s, hopefully he don't get stupid on us and get hit by a truck before we can get an arrow in him.

Quote Originally Posted by northriver21 View Post
    My brother emailed me this picture of that bull hit on the glenn yesterday.
    this guy ended up hanging in my bro-in laws garage... 2x2 50.25" he said he had to turn in the headgear...

Quote Originally Posted by preed View Post
    this guy ended up hanging in my bro-in laws garage... 2x2 50.25" he said he had to turn in the headgear...
    Thanks for that info!!! You just settled a bet. My bro said he was 55+. I told him no more than 51", but he saw the real thing and I just got the picture.

Was it in ok shape for eating, or pretty beat up? The bull looks skinny in the picture, like he's begun his walkabout. trimming down for a fight LOL.

Gotta go rub it in now.

lots of good meat, busted up one front shoulder just a little bit and a few ribs but all in all, its all there.

he was just a smidge over 50" so he was legal

Do the troopers have a list of people or orgs. that have rights to a freshly hit moose ?

Also I think the stipulation on picking it up is the whole animal must go, or all pieces. I just can't can't see them leaving a gut pile, just to attract more critters to cause another accident. or has that been done?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast