Thread: What the Hell is "Self Guided" Vs. "Going Hunting"

Default What the Hell is "Self Guided" Vs. "Going Hunting"

In the old days we went hunting, it had nothing to do with what State you lived in or went hunting in......It was call "Going Hunting".

What is "Self Guided".....I really don't get that.....SELF GUIDED. Is that like instead of: "driving to work", You "Self Chauffeured" to work.......????

you fly in or are taxi-ed in to camp and on your own, then call for pick up.

i guess its just easier for the out of staters.. am i wrong on this?

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    SELF GUIDED. Is that like instead of: "driving to work", You "Self Chauffeured" to work.......????
    pretty funny!
    yeah, i want to know... what is the difference?
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default My take

Self Guided? sounds better than Mis Guided. It's all about appearance...

-gr
    My signature is awesome.

When one tells folks he is going big game hunting out of state, especially in a place like Alaska, many just assume that he will cough up an outrageous sum of money to hire a guide to do all the scouting, hunting, back-breaking meat hauling and pretty much everything except wipe one’s butt and pull the trigger. Thus, the term “self-guided” refers to “going hunting” (which includes all the aspects that come with it) by one’s self. Unfortunate that one has to clarify such things these days, but many folks get all kinds of wild ideas if you don’t…at least here in the lower 48.

God bless.
    Fr. Joe

Smile hey!

I would love to go on a guided hunt, I just need someone to pay for it. I been "self guiding" and "do it your self" hunting forever. No wonder I come home empty handed sometimes.

Default Going Hunting

Hmmm, well I reckon a person that says they are "going hunting" could be going either self guided or guided. However a person, or persons, that are going self guided or guided are "All" going hunting! ????
    Simply a more detailed statement of "how" you are going hunting....

If I go "self-guided" do I have to have a guide license and pay myself?

Down here in S SE the the illeagle Transporters and B&B owners use that term in thier advertising to try to stay leagle.

They sell a 'Self Guided' package !!!!!

Still not clear to me.......But, I need to self guide myself to the outhouse. Then start self guideing the Log splitter, then it will be time for self guided lunch.

some of the guys cleared it up pretty well, not sure why its hard to understand...fr joe and smokey put some pretty clear clarification to it.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    some of the guys cleared it up pretty well, not sure why its hard to understand...fr joe and smokey put some pretty clear clarification to it.

So if I say, "I am going self guiding to Alaska", people know what that means.....? What is wrong with, "I am going hunting in Alaska"....? Who cares, if it is guided, self guided, un-guided.

Default Guideless ?????

What recourse do I have if I cancel a self guided trip ? Do I get my deposit back from myself ? If I don't score who's fault is it ? Me , Myself or I.

I guess they can talk about when they worked in and Guided Hunts in Alaska.

agl4now, by saying self guided in alaska it explains to everyone that you are hunting in alaska without a guide...
    if you are "going hunting in alaska"...it might be guided...it might not.
    saying "self guided" just offers more clarification to what you are actially doing and leaves less room for interpretation... thus offering more information with one sentance, rather than having to explain to someone in three times as much communication that you are hunting in alaska, but you wont' have a guide, thus you'll be self guided. rather than i'm hunting in alaska but will have a guide....
    if that doesn't answer your question, then i'd just say your going hunting in alaska to whomever you tell and just go with that.

captian T you can get your deposit back as long as you find someone to replace your self guided spot 30 days in advance!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Self guided

I'm a saltwater fishing guide, so when I go fishing myself am I being self guided or guided ??????????? Now I'm confused......

How about when hunting on the cheap

Quote Originally Posted by muskeg View Post
    Down here in S SE the the illeagle Transporters and B&B owners use that term in thier advertising to try to stay leagle.

They sell a 'Self Guided' package !!!!!

muskeg,

I'm curious how the BB owners are doing anything wrong by advertising self guided trips to DIY bear hunters? Are they taking guys out into the field?

BTW, LOTS of bears running around on the road system this month, now that they are safe from the "self guided" hunters.. haha

Default how about 'DIY'

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    muskeg,

I'm curious how the BB owners are doing anything wrong by advertising self guided trips to DIY bear hunters? Are they taking guys out into the field?

BTW, LOTS of bears running around on the road system this month, now that they are safe from the "self guided" hunters.. haha
    270 .... well some persons think that marketing and selling a 'self guided' package complete with R&B, vehicle, boat, maps and verbal info on where and how to hunt is more than 'self guided' ... but I believe the jury is still out on that ... and yes some B&B owners even go into the field with thier 'self guided' hunters.

Also the Bear running around the road system were also safe from 'guided' hunters .... but not safe from 'self guided' 'subsistence' 'POW island resident' hunters.

The road closure ends today. But there are very, very few 'self guided' / 'DIY' non-res hunters in Oct / Nov.

Quote Originally Posted by muskeg View Post

Also the Bear running around the road system were also safe from 'guided' hunters .... but not safe from 'self guided' 'subsistence' 'POW island resident' hunters.

The road closure ends today. But there are very, very few 'self guided' / 'DIY' non-res hunters in Oct / Nov.
    Thanks for the reply. I was shocked to learn that POW Island Residents under subsistence rules could still hunt bear from a vehicle, despite the closure.. I don't agree with that at all.

I did see some VERY interesting "rental" boats this Sept... One almost had me calling the Coast Guard before they left the fuel dock. It was a very old fiberglass boat, with an older outboard engine. No kicker. 50knt winds were forecast for the evening, and the 4 "self guided" hunters were clueless to what the forecast even was! The worker at the fuel dock and I questioned the guys, and they didn't even have a VHF radio! I guess they made it, as I didn't hear any CG helos flying overhead that night.