Thread: Knik River ???

Default Knik River ???

I am new to the site and duck hunting in the Anchorage area. I have accessed the Palmer Hay Flats through Rabbit Slough but intereseted in launching an 18" jon boat with 50HP jet at the Knik bridge and running down river to access the flats. Is there any concerns I should have about running this portion of the river and are there any accesible points for the flat or possibly hunting the area from a boat blind? Thanks for any help.

Default River

Look at Google Earth Sat images and you will not see much access to the flats from there.

The river channels change yearly and be aware of running up on a shallow bar real quick..could launch your buddy or you in a sec. I recommend getting out there during the daylight and running it..check it out. I think you will answer alot of your questions.

The boat will be fine...be careful.

Good luck.
    DH01

I spent a bunch of time pulling my jon off sand bars last weekend. Water is low, and dropping everyday. If you get stuck it could be a long time waiting for a tide. Did I say the water is low? very low.

I feel your pain..... I'm still searching for a good spot to hunt using my 24ft / 150 jet. I have canoes but want the comfort of my boat. I know I know... but I'm getting old dangit! Anyone been to the mouth of the little zoo or big sue latley?
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

For what its worth, I took this from google earth as about where a drag point is to the big pond at

61 29'23.63N
    149 19'42.81W

Thanks for the help and information. May take a look thursday during the day as recommended. I have been staring at Google Earth for weeks trying to find new hunting grounds. Now that the duck and geese are beginning to move I may have to go to the "old standby" location. At least if the ducks aren't cooperating there are fish to catch. I'll pass on any info gained on Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanassasin View Post
    For what its worth, I took this from google earth as about where a drag point is to the big pond at

61 29'23.63N
    149 19'42.81W
    Saw this point on Google Earth a while back. I have been interested in hauling the Marsh Rat down with the big boat and dragging it in. 1/4 mile may be a long drag!!!

I hear ya, thats much further than I want to drag. I was thinking of doing the same thing as you. It looks like your into water at around a tenth of a mile and could mabe paddle that channel from there. I can't say for sure having never done it though....

That drag from the river to marsh is a drag, especially that with the river as low as it is you can only get about 1/2 mile from the point that is a straight line distance so the drag is much further than it looks on google earth

.....the worse drag is the one's you will have with your boat trying to get to that point. Not mention dealing with the tides that push in and out while you are hunting. There is a big learning curve as I and many others have found the hard way. I tried it last weekend and had to drag my 20' boat twice and I have ran that section for the last 10 years, which means nothing as it changes every year and every day, especially this time of year as the water is dropping every day.

I hunt the Knick area on a regular basis. Be sure and check the tides, and allow a couple hours additional to the readings for Anchorage tides. Go out exploring on the incoming tides, however it takes a long time for the incoming tide to reach the upper areas. It stays flat and low for hours. Once the tides is up you can run most any place you want but if running around on the outgoing tide, remember that it drops very fast, if you get grounded on a outgoing, get off fast or you may be there for 12 hours til you get lifted back off. The area most people access the ponds at is easily identifiable by several boats usually there and a small wood table along the shore. If you can take in a conoe it would be a easy access to hunt with, some people leave small boats there all season long. Can be excellent hunting on the pond there. I like to go out further and hunt the salt, it can be productive at times. Bud

Thanks to the wonderful internet there are now more people hunting the Knik/Rabbit Slough area than ever. There are not many ducks out there right now, heck, maybe more people than ducks. Go gett'em guys, I am glad I stayed home today after the zoo that was out there yesterday.

Great info! Thanks men.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    Thanks to the wonderful internet there are now more people hunting the Knik/Rabbit Slough area than ever.
    It is not just the "internet's" fault. More and more people are getting into the sport all over the US, even with hunter numbers falling. People that normally hunt other game are taking up duck hunting.

And with moose season closing up tight the two weekends after are always packed by guys that only duck hunt once or twice a year.

Also keep in mind that the Jim Creek swamps are pretty shallow so a lot of people have gone some where else since they can't get out there without a mud motor and even then you may not get anywhere if you don't know what you are doing.

I have been hunting that area 10+ years and have good friends that have been hunting that area double that, the increase of people is shocking. I don't expect things not to change but there is a lot of internet scouting going on. Just about everytime I am on this forum there are just as many non-members as there are members looking at the waterfowl forum.
    I agree we usually see a few more guys right after moose season but last weekend was pretty crazy. the birds are getting pushed out of there. There are also more guys hunting it during the week(wish I could) but the the bad side is that there is no where for the birds to rest on the marsh. From what I have seen this year what birds there are are heading to the river and staying out there for the day. They are getting the heck out of the marsh.

People have told me how great hunting is at Jim Creek and those lakes, and I have tried it a couple times a year and have never gotten more then a couple ducks at a trip. I'm not much into walking in the mud and don't have a small enough boat to drag over the mud so I mostly hunt the salt off of the Knick, however, I do want to go out and hunt the coffee point area sometime this year. This time around the first of Oct has always been what I look forward to, ducks come in after the inland ponds freeze, and if it stays warm here they hang around a while, if it gets cold here at the same time, they fly right through with hardly a stop over. From my experience, our season could be over in a week or 3 weeks, not much chance of it lasting longer then that. Hopefully I'll get my boat running again in a day or 2 and get back out there. Does anybody here do any late season hunting into nov or dec? Bud

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    Just about everytime I am on this forum there are just as many non-members as there are members looking at the waterfowl forum.
    Like the guy "troutfag" on right now. How does he introduce himself to another forum member I wonder?

I am just as guilty on the other forums. Lots of looking but not much posting. However I have gained a huge amount of knowledge about moose and caribou hunting if I ever want to take up those pursuits again.

Of course it does not help when guys post up that they are taking limits out there every day of the week and that they saw 4000 birds one day. That is going to make a lot of people get off the couch.

There are limited places from the road to hunt and the entire duck hunting community is going to pay the price for that as long as the numbers of hunters keeps increasing. With quick and easy access right from the road the Hay Flats will always be hammered.

A good duck hunter goes where the birds go, but it is hard to follow them up here sometimes thanks to such an unforgiving environment.

AKblackdog - it took me three years to learn how to hunt the Jim Creek swamps and even then it is tough going. Using the wrong kind of boat didn't help either. The place is too big and sometimes too hard to get into so folks don't hunt it much, or right, and that just turns it into a refuge. The birds get into the grass and just spend their days goofing off while you wait them out. Strangely enough for a swamp the place does not have a lot of food for ducks. There are spots that have plenty of food, but most of the place is empty of decent plant life. So you learn of the few spots that have food and you can have some good hunts.

I am not a "got to get a limit" kind of guy so the area suits me.