Thread: taurus 41 mag

Default taurus 41 mag

Hi I have some questions about the taurus compact frame chambered in a 41 mag does anyone own this gun? is it good for beginers? is it strong enough to stop bears? any input would be much apreciated

Quote Originally Posted by dakata View Post
    Hi I have some questions about the taurus compact frame chambered in a 41 mag does anyone own this gun? is it good for beginers? is it strong enough to stop bears? any input would be much apreciated
    From what I've seen and heard about the Taurus revolvers they seems to be about what is expected from guns in its price range. They are servicable but not top of the line.

As for the 41 Mag, yes, properly loaded, in the experienced hands of an accomplished handgun hunter, it will do all that is needed. It is not a beginners gun however and handgun bear defense is also not a beginners sport. Any big bore handgun will be about twice as good as nothing, even in experienced hands, when you're being chewed on but your skills have failed you if you get to that point. If you're not already an accomplished handgunner, get a shot gun. Or buy a good handgun and six hundred pounds (not rounds) of ammo, hire a professional trainer to teach you how to shoot it up and benefit from the experience.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

The Ruger GP 100 in the sales forum would be a better starter gun and less money.Compact in any handgun is usally not good as a starter.

Default Good advice already given

the 41 mag, though having less felt recoil than a .44 mag will still kick pretty **** hard in a compact frame gun. I personally think it would be better to get a .44 magnum in a typical magnum framed gun, like a S&W or Ruger, start shooting .44 Specials, then lighter .44 mag up to 44 bear loads when you feel you are ready. You will get good practice that way, meaning more then a box or two in each form, get familiar with the gun, and be ready, hopefully, if the need arises with a gun reasonably capable of protecting you adequately. Of course, none of us know you and your abilities or limitations. You may have no trouble with the .44 and might work up to a .454 Casull or bigger. Use common sense and I think you'll be okay.

I think you'd be better served to buy a used Colt, S&W, Dan Wesson or Ruger than anything made by Taurus. All my personal experience with Taurus has been negative, and I'm not the only one. A quick search of this forum will reveal a thread about "the worst handgun you've ever owned". I believe there were roughly two Taurus' (Taurii?) identified for one of every other make, beating even throw-away guns such as Jennings, Hi-Point and Bryco.

I know some will disagree and say their Taurus 22 Hornet is the best revolver ever made for shooting rats at 500yds. Others will say Taurus customer service is exceptional. That's fine. Rats at 500yds don't present much of a threat to humans, and believing that customer service will promptly fix a gun that didn't work when the bear stuck his snout in my tent isn't going to make me feel any better when I hear that "click".

Hmmmm. I've put a lot of rounds through my .41 titanium tracker with no problems. The weight and size makes it pretty handy to carry ( so you will carry it) and the factory grips work well to tame heavy hand loads. The only item of note so far is that you have to watch the col of your rounds as the cylinder is just a tad short. I wound up with 255g cast performance vice the 265 ones.

MY worst hand gun was a 70 era Smith and Wesson.

Back when I was seling about 2,000 guns a year the consensus among the owners and sales people in the biz was not to carry Taurus because we had a high rate of returned firearms for warranty work. After a number of returns for bad workmanship we closed them out and quit carrying them. What, other than soccer balls and lumber are the brazilians famous for manufacturing? NOTHING.

Well a Taurus is not a S&W, but I have had many Taurus wheel guns over the years and have 5 or 6 in the safe now. The only thing I have ever had go wrong with a Taurus is the same things that goes wrong with a S&W or Colt, they shoot loose after a couple thousand hot loads have been down the pipe. When this happens they go back home and get tuned back up and Taurus has never taken more than 3 weeks to get my guns home, but the "good" brands take so long I just pay a smith to do it. Yes S&W, Colt, and even Ruger have a better fit and finish, but a Taurus is a heck of a value for the money, at least in wheel guns any way.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Well in terms of Taurus quality we do sell the Judge, and got a 3" chamber one today.

Opened the box, closed it back up and back it goes to taurus for warranty repair. Caught before its sold.

As far as S&W warranty service goes, the few times we sent one back, usually total turn around was about 10 days to 2 weeks including UPS transit time there and back. Colt would take 6 to 8 weeks, Ruger about three or 4, because they always send a quote back for approval before they start the work, even if they don't charge. Taurus would run between 1 to 2 months, never could predict how long it would take. Still have the Taurus address memorized, we used it so much.

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    As far as S&W warranty service goes, the few times we sent one back, usually total turn around was about 10 days to 2 weeks including UPS transit time there and back. Colt would take 6 to 8 weeks, Ruger about three or 4, because they always send a quote back for approval before they start the work, even if they don't charge. Taurus would run between 1 to 2 months, never could predict how long it would take. Still have the Taurus address memorized, we used it so much.
    Maybe it's dealer vs. individual but I have always had the opposite experiences to yours with warrantee service times. S&W had one of mine for almost 6 months and Colt sent one back untouched (locked up) twice before fixing it and the whole process took close to a year. Taurus never has taken more than 3 weeks for my guns.

That all said my good luck with the Taurus guns could be because I check every gun over well before I buy them. I always try to stick the workings by holding back on the cylinder and then cycling the action, and then I try to rotate ahead as I cycle. Itís surprising how many revolvers will bind up with this test, but the ones that donít have sound guts no matter who made it.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default Good luck with mine

I have a Taurus .41 titainium and it has treated me well. I don't put a ton of rounds through it but it carries great and shoots fine. The factory grips are nice for reducing some of the recoil. I would say it serves me well for the price and its expected function.

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    Back when I was seling about 2,000 guns a year the consensus among the owners and sales people in the biz was not to carry Taurus because we had a high rate of returned firearms for warranty work. After a number of returns for bad workmanship we closed them out and quit carrying them. What, other than soccer balls and lumber are the brazilians famous for manufacturing? NOTHING.
    Ethanol! That's what happened to the rain forest...cut it all down to plant sugar cane to make Ethanol.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

They also make good UFC fighters.... Horace Gracee and that Brazilian ju-jitsu could have held off any bear long enough for every one else to beat feet out of there before he got et!

Since were mentioning all things Brazilian, the food, specifically the traditional black bean dish and another made with from the hump of a Brahma bull, can't remember what they call it, but man it was GOOD! It's been a few years since I been through San Paulo, but the food makes me want to return for at least a few days.

Well, I did say manufacture, not grow out of the ground. Any more ideas? But I think we're getting off the "handgun" thread here.

Talking Tracker

Back on track...The Taurus Tracker...I have owned the Taurus Tracker titanium 41 mag for a few years now and have had no real problems with it...but...you can only shoot metal jacketed rounds through it or the cylinder will not revolve...also it does kick pretty good, it is due to the fact that it is a light frame and a big round...as far as shooting a bear with it...you really dont need a big caliber all you need is something large enough to shoot your partner in the leg so you can outrun him and the bear is no problem!

Quote Originally Posted by BuxnDux View Post
    as far as shooting a bear with it...you really dont need a big caliber all you need is something large enough to shoot your partner in the leg so you can outrun him and the bear is no problem!
    Bud, I aint hanging out with you!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Sorry about the UFC stuff gunbugs!

The Taurus of old was pretty much on par with RG. They developed a bad reputation and once that happens in the gun world it is hard to shake. They have come a long way in recent years.

I could be wrong but if memory serves me right they beat both Ruger and S&W to the punch when it came to chambering 60,000+ plus psi chamberings as in the 454 in their double action Raging Bull. That doesn't mean that they are a better gun.....just that they were on the ball. You might say it forced S&W to show their hand....they were not about to be out done by the Brazilions. Out came the 460S&W and shortly thereafter the 500.

When The Raging Bull first came out I got one and loved it. I shot it probably 500 rounds and it was still as tight as when new. The Taurus's are not bad handguns but they are not on par with the modern day Smith's. They may look as nice on the outside but pop off the sideplate and you'll see the real difference. The Smith has sharp edges and no mill or grinding marks. Then again the 460 or 500 S&Ws do cost about twice what you can get a Raging Bull for!

I wouldn't hesitate to get the Taurus 41 as a personal defense carry gun. However I agree with Murphy in that it probably is not a bear protection gun especially in the hands of a new shooter!

I'd look at a 4 inch Redhawk in 44 mag or 45lc and shoot some heavy hardcasts in it!

Had a Tracker in 41 mag & had no problems with it. I currently have a 4&5/8s Blackhawk 41 mag & love it.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."