Thread: Black Bear Tanning ?'s

Default Black Bear Tanning ?'s

Hello,

I have been wanting to try tanning for a while now. I just shot a small bear last week, and thought he would be the perfect candidate. I dropped him off at a taxidermist to get him fleshed really well. My question is what tanning solution to use? I have watched the mckenzie tanning video, and I'm not sure if I should use thier product. I have also heard good things about the Bollmann tanning system from research mannikins. Has anyone used either of these, or something different and had good or bad results? Any suggestions are welcome.
    Thanks,
    Brian

I got the 2-lb Lutan F kit from VanDykeTaxidermy.com and used less than half of it for a little black bear. I worked good for me. I had never tanned anything before.

My favorite for bear is any of the chrome-tanning solutions. Prefer that over acid tanning. You need a large enough non-metal container though for the whole hide.

If it's fleshed well before you soak, should come out great with less work afterwards, but keep in mind it does require a bit of elbow grease to work the whole hide afterward as it dries. Good luck,

Default thanks

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try to document my process, and post results when all is finnished.

Default Bears are Iffy

I would suggest you take the hide to a qualified taxidermist and have it professionally tanned.. Most likely he or she will send it out to a tannery that tans things as a business.. While some will argue, 99% of the time, a home tan on a greasy bear will not product great results.. They may work, but in the long run.. the hide wont be broken evenly, the hair wont have a sheen to it.. and if not tumbled and broke after 2-3 oilings... You wont have that soft leather subtle feel to it.. They arent that expensive to get done professionally.. 175-250 for a blackbear... (if its fleshed, turned and salted properly)..

Seriouly, I am not trying to discourage you form attempting it.. But IMO, Bears, Beavers, Muskox, sheep and goats need to be left to a Professional Tannery.. And I am a Taxidermist... I send all mine out

Default Yeah I may ruin it but...

I have shot a number of bears, and have had them professionally tanned. I shot this one mainly for the meat, and it is small enough I won't cry if I totally ruin it, and the hair slips. I am just always looking for new projects, and since the long cold winter is rapidly approaching I figured this would be a fun experament if nothing else. I know it won't turn out as nice as a professionally done bear but it should be fun to try.

I also just got a research manikins catalog in the mail, and now the wheels are really turning. I may go shoot a squirell tonight and try mounting it. I told the wife last night that I think I found a new hobby and she just rolled her eyes. Then when I told her what it was she threatened to burn the catalog!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by mountainhunter View Post
    I told the wife last night that I think I found a new hobby and she just rolled her eyes. Then when I told her what it was she threatened to burn the catalog!
    As much as my wife would love to cut down on our taxidermy cost I am sure she would say much the same thing if I brought it up as a hobby.

I have been wanting to tan a hide for some time now. Just don't know where to start. I am not expecting professional results just want to try and learn. Anybody have any information that would help would be nice. Would like to know several different methods to try. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cast Iron View Post
    I have been wanting to tan a hide for some time now. Just don't know where to start. I am not expecting professional results just want to try and learn. Anybody have any information that would help would be nice. Would like to know several different methods to try. Thanks for any help you can give me.
    I used the instructions at the following site: http://aces.nmsu.edu/pubs/_l/l-103.pdf

I used the aluminum sulfate method. I have only done small animals at this point: squirrels and hare, but they have turned out pretty well. I too would like to work myself up to something bigger. Hope it helps.

-gr
    My signature is awesome.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

I have had my hide tanned often enough... i would rather not have that practice taught to many at all...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Any one heard of using the brains ?

I am told that there is enough in the skull normally , to handle the whole hide .
    I've never tried it . I hear it is what the indians used .

Default Check the link

The link I included in my response three posts back has three different tanning methods. The third is using brain matter. Never tried this method, though. Anybody ever give that a shot??
    -gr
    My signature is awesome.

Default Liqua-tan

This product is great. I have used it on rabbits to Buffalo, no problems with slipping or anything. I have rubbed it on and mounted animals right after application.

Key points are to make sure you do a great job splitting the ears, nose, and lips and really flesh the skin thoroughly. Ensure you rub it in and pay attention to the directions. You cannot hurt your skin with this. It will save you money in the long run and easy to use for the veteran Taxidermist or the beginner.

Great Product
    http://www.knoblochs.com/main.cfm?PageID=4&Admin=
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default I wouldnt

I would not reccommend Liqua tan on a greasy fat bear... I suggest to Skin, flesh and salt.. then send to a professional tannery..

Liqua tan will work for caribou, deer and maybe even moose if you have a fleshing machine to shave the hide down some.. I wouldnt chance it on a bear.. They have lots of fat and grease in their hide as do pigs, boars and coons.....coyotes as well... you need a good pickle and a tannery strength degreaser to pull that grease and nasty oils out of the skin for it to accept a decent tan..

Plus even with Liqua tan, the hide needs to be properly pickled at a PH of 2 for a minumum of 72 hours.. shaven, then another 24... neutralized and than the tan applied..

its a inferior product in IMO