Thread: Shovel-less bull caribou

Default Shovel-less bull caribou

How often do you see mature bull caribou without shovels? I've maybe seen half a dozen or so in all the years watching them funnel through the oilfields. I tend to think it isn't that common, and curious if it is just genetics passing down that causes it. I've arrowed two bulls up here 3 years apart without shovels and somewhat similar characterisitics. These bulls had no points or indication that a shovel would even develop.

Its not uncommon.

I see all kinds, and often its just a fingers worth of antler that makes a shovel........though I do have a head with a 26 inch tall shovel. It is so big, I kept it as a curiosity.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    How often do you see mature bull caribou without shovels? I've maybe seen half a dozen or so in all the years watching them funnel through the oilfields. I tend to think it isn't that common, and curious if it is just genetics passing down that causes it. I've arrowed two bulls up here 3 years apart without shovels and somewhat similar characterisitics. These bulls had no points or indication that a shovel would even develop.
    I've seen a good number with no shovel, but I think they pretty much all had some kind of point in that place. I don't recall seeing many with no sign of any kind of point at least, but I haven't really looked that closely for them. I know all the caribou I have gotten (aside from the cow) had some amount of a shovel or double shovel.

I've seen a bunch with a small point, or something to at least indicate something is supposed to grow there, but these two bulls have nothing at all. Kind of unique I think, but I'd much rather have one with a big shovel. The one Stranger is talking about sounds cool, do you have any pictures of it? I think the biggest shovel I've seen is a bull my dad killed that has about a 20" shovel on one side and a 14" on the other.

I have a pict , "Somewhere" on this computer, and I'll look. Its pretty cool and very tall with lotsa little points.

Your shovless Bulls look healthy enough, its just gotta be genes.
    I see that kind now and then, actually in every combination possible, theres little more than a general shape and to me, each is its own kinda fingerprint.
    I do take home to "Usefull" looking ones, and the wife carves antlers a bit too.

Every observation of a Caribou is a learning experiance.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I'm presuming they were plenty healthy. I was actually expecting more fat on the tall racked bull, I just finished butchering him up and he didn't have much fat on him at all, maybe 1/2-3/4" on his rump and that was about it. I have to remember how lean these guys are from all the walking though.

That's the one thing I love about caribou, is they are all unique. I've picked out some crazy looking ones over larger bulls like this guy, I couldn't pass up this drop tine.

Here's the tall shovel on my dad's bull. 42 points in all. Not bad for his first day caribou hunting.

I'd love to see some pictures of some unique racks. One of the coolest I have seen is AK Nimrod's bull from years ago. A booner on one side and an infant on the other.

Greatest thing about them bou is the flavor though.

Default my pathetic or dang near non growing shovel less bull

lol! Actually its a pretty nice bull IMHO but as you can see its practically void of a shovel as we know it.

It is only from titp to tip 4 1/4 inches,altho I had it SCI scored an its T-1 (shovel) length is recorded at 10 1/8 and the spike or my other shovel is 12 3/8 long.

And just a side view.

I had a friend shoot one that his shovel was 24 1/12 inches from tip to tip.Very nice buul.

My buddy shot a bull with double shovels, both coming off of the bez. I don't see that very often either. That's a cool looking mount. I still have yet to do a shoulder mount. I kept the cape on this one since it had the nice white main. Not sure what to do with it though, it'll just take up some room in the freezer for now.

Hey Jerod..I remember when you took that drop tine'd Caribou,that was freaking cool and I'm sure thats the only one I've ever seen with one. Nice animal dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    My buddy shot a bull with double shovels, both coming off of the bez. I don't see that very often either. That's a cool looking mount. I still have yet to do a shoulder mount. I kept the cape on this one since it had the nice white main. Not sure what to do with it though, it'll just take up some room in the freezer for now.

Thanks dude. Mine came off the bez also, kinda strange, you dont see that often either I suppose? Even tho I didnt look at the Antlers when I took him he still was pretty nice to get mounted. You need to get that dropped tine'd one mounted...I know that'll look pretty sweet.

I kept the skull attached with the intentions of doing a euro mount on a pedestal, but never got around to it. I might have to mix and match and use this cape for that bull, or get off my butt and finish up the euro mount.

I did my "freeze dry" technique with the velvet and it seems to have worked. No stink to it after all these years.