Thread: OK NEED Last Minute Tips For Late Season Lakers

Default OK NEED Last Minute Tips For Late Season Lakers

gonna head to hidden lake (KP) this weekend and troll up some lakers, or at least try....anyone got any tips for this time of year, doesnt matter if ive heard it before.....i really want to know what to grab at the tackle shop if i need it...what are they likely to hit on, what range and depth, i know they are spawning so shallow would be wise.....any help is much appreciated. if the advice is good ill tell you where to go get chromy silvers just off the road for another two weeks or so.

In the fall I like to use small gold spinners seems they cant stand a small bait fish in the "zone"

Default Fall Fishing lakes

Hope this does not sound well bad. Lake Trout spawn in the Spring what happens in the fall is what the call turning which also happens in the Spring i.e. the thermolcline of the lake turns i.e. the "Zone" which the fish use goes from deep to shallow it is a natural occurance in all lakes. This is what brings the fish closer to shore in the Spring and Fall and allows somewhat easier access to them in water depths between 10-20 feet some times less some times more. That being said what ever standard baitfish populations are in the lake of choice will dictate the lure selection. IMO believe it or not you can still jig, fly or spin fish for them and have a very effective trip again IMO.

If you contact your Local Fisheries Biologist and find out if they have accomplished a Lake Study of your particular lake which I am sure they have they could provide you with more than enough information to assist you in making a sound lure selection.

Again IMO armed with the data you should be able to select a few options that would be better than others. As an example if your lake has whitefish, burbot and suckers but no salmon then going forth with size 2 meps is not the lure of choice you may wish to pull plugs, or jig crocks or spoons near structure versus standard spin fishing " just food for thought" If the lake does not have a bait restriction cut bait such as smelt /candle fish or herring might also be the ticket on a nice size 2/0 bucktail jig. We have even taken a single hook tipped with herring and bobber fished them to the propper depth just like pick fishing it works.

Back in the day we use to take large sweadish pimples and tie a small bag of roe and jig for them the best part is you can cast like a spinner if need be or troll them with cow bells and peanuts i.e. a six pac.

Being that your water temps should be in the low 50's / high 40's by now slow and steady should be the thought process. Find the Thermolcline and find the active fish.

Back from 2006 http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/akf...hing/72336.htm

Little something from Bobberstop.com http://www.bobberstop.com/thermocline.html

Sorry if I rambled hope the data helps! I know it is more than likely way to much information for the quesiton sorry.

Blue Moose

in this lake the lake trout feed primarily on kokanee, smaller trout, and salmon smolt/fry. there are no whitefish. i always believed that char spawn in the fall and trout i.e. rainbows spawn in spring.

Life history: Lake trout prefer large, deep, cold lakes in which they spend their entire lives. Spawning takes place over clean, rocky lake bottoms from September through November. Males reach the spawning sites several days before the females and use their snouts and fins to clean the substrate. Spawning takes place at night with peak activity occurring after dusk. Eggs hatch early in the following spring. Little is known about the early life history of lake trout which are thought to be reclusive while feeding on plankton during their first few years of life. Spawning occurs for the first time after seven or eight years. Lake trout spawn every other year or less frequently in northern Alaska, while in some southern populations, such as those on the Kenai Peninsula, spawning may occur annually. Lake trout growth varies from place to place depending on diet, water temperature, altitude, and genetics. Alaska lake trout can live longer than 40 years but more typical maximum ages are around 20 years. The maximum size attained in some Alaskan populations probably exceeds 50 pounds, and 8- to 10-pound fish can be taken in many of the state's fisheries. The current record is a 47-pound laker caught in Clarence Lake in July 1970.

sorry to correct you i appreciate your input, I got this from the fish and game website "wildlife notebook"

Default I stand corrected

No worries! I stand corrected and was 100 percent in the wrong direction concerning the spawn cycle silly me. Thank you for setting the record straight. Char do spawn in the fall I miss-quoted got silly and stuck my big old fat foot into a Moose Sandwich.

August - Oct depending on the area and water temp.

;-)

Loook for reefs and humps that top out at 8' to 20'.
    Troll spoons or rig up with herring like you would for silvers in the salt (Rhy's Davies rig and banana sinker). Trolling speed should be 1.9 to 2.2 mph.

The fish finished spawning Friday night and are looking for a sandwich and a beer.

Fish early or late near rocky dropoffs.

look for spawners piled up on humps or rocky shorelines try jigging tube jigs or buzbombs, ive had better luck on large fish post spawn trolling j13 rapalas shallow if you have any roe try bait fishing with it.

thanks all for the advice and tips. greatly appreciated...i plan to fish the shallows i think.... as close to the bank as i can get without hooking bottom, as this lake doesnt really have much structure othe than islands...its a very deep lake with virtually no humps or isolated shallow points...i also plan to soak roe and herring at the late and early hours. i cant find any white tube jigs here in alaska....i know i will need them for ice fishing the interior laker locations this winter...where to get? thanks again everbody

huntnfish, I've ordered my tubes online, just easier that way. Caught my first laker on them, funny thing is I havent hardly used them since, prefering spoons, spinners, and airplane jigs. Seems the noisier the better! atleast with what little experience I have with them!

If I remember right the tube I used was a salt and pepper, not pure white, I bought locally before I wanted something slightly larger. The hooks found locally were fine wired hooks, and I SHOULD HAVE lost this fish..the hook was almost straight! Since the online deal has worked much gooder

Default Not on the bite tonight.....

Trolled a lake on the glenn hwy for a few hours until 7.30pm with 2 0z silver spoons, 000 herring dodgers, and 1.5 oz banana weights...only a few small dollies/char caught while still and casting...Troll speed was about 1.5-2 mph on the GPS, and no vexilar cuz the wall charger fried the other day.... Think we were about 12-20 ft deep, but kinda hard to tell... Haven't trolled much but gotta be a way to figure it out based on oz. of weight and speed....???

All in all, a great night out, and weather cooperated nicely.....One of these days I'll release a big 'un there.....

Cheers!

Jake