Thread: Lost Lake Goat

Default Lost Lake Goat

One of my hunting pals was awarded his second goat permit. Nice! We are tentatively planning on making a trip this coming weekend. Does anyone have any knowledge of the goat in the Lost Lake area (DG342)? We are willing to work hard and hike far. We've considered hunting from a boat on Kenai Lake, hiking in on the Primerose Trail, hiking in on the Lost Lake Trail, and hiking in from the end of Snug Harbor Road. LET'S FIND A BILLY! Thanks for the help.

I'm headed that way this weekend as well but haven't decided where I am going yet. Having several areas to choose from is a nice option. Am suppose to fly that way this week with a friend, weather allowing.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    I'm headed that way this weekend as well but haven't decided where I am going yet. Having several areas to choose from is a nice option. Am suppose to fly that way this week with a friend, weather allowing.

That's great. You pick the big one for yourself. We'll get the next. I'd really appreciate hearing what you see on your scouting trip. You're welcome to PM me if you'd like. To safe trips and fair chase. Cheers.

I was looking at that area as well. I was thinking of flying down sometime in the next week or so and take a look. If you want to split flying costs and ride along let me know.

Have you got a Lost Lake goat tag too AKHUNTER?

I know i need a DG342 now but I was looking around on the fish and game site and seen that that area is going to be registration after Nov 1. I havent looked into it any further yet so maybe someone can clarify for me.

Quote Originally Posted by A_K_H_U_N_T_E_R View Post
    I know i need a DG342 now but I was looking around on the fish and game site and seen that that area is going to be registration after Nov 1. I havent looked into it any further yet so maybe someone can clarify for me.
    Registration hunts are only opened if there are additional animals available for harvest after the drawing season closes Oct. 15th. The goat numbers are generally down across the Kenai Peninsula, so in recent years F&G has managed them conservatively and not opened the fall registration hunts except for a very few exceptions. I would not expect this area to open to a registration hunt, though it is technically possible.

There hasnt been a reg hunt there since 05. At least I think it was 05 I was there last. Regardless I wouldnt get your hopes up thet F&G opens RG342. If the harvest of Nannies is reduced maybe we can have that hunt back in the future.

And this is why you always double check and triple check the details before you go hunting. I am still planning on flying over that direction one of these days if anyone wants to tag along.

I would love to make a flight over the area but work has got me too tied up. Maybe some other time. Also keep in mind that new this year - harvest tickets are required for black bear in unit 7.

Anyone else headed down there this weekend? I'm leaving in the morning and if your going solo, maybe we can hunt together.

Any successful goat DG342 goat hunters out there? I'm headed down on Sunday for a try and one of these goats, any recommendations are greatly appreciated!

We haven't been able to harvest yet. We are also going to head down on Sunday. Let's hope for some luck.

Has this been open the last 5 years at all? Can't find any harvest statistics.
    Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

Call fish and game. 267.2257

ya its been open to draw permit. most of the goat pop is along exit glacier rd.

Quote Originally Posted by skipper View Post
    ya its been open to draw permit. most of the goat pop is along exit glacier rd.
    If you hike up to lost lake and look in the direction of exit glacier the goats tend to hang there. On the NE side or the back side SW (exit glacier road). A co-worker pulled one out on a solo trip two years ago. I flew it last week and they were there.

Also look between Martin and Boulder creeks, they hang there sometimes. Just not as often

Your area is S side of Kenai Lake? Spent a lot of time looking at DS 156 for a legal Ram never saw one! Saw lots of Goats some nice Billys North side of Kenai Lake, but not South side of Kenai Lake.

A buddy and I took two billys on a party dray a few years back. We hiked in from Snug Harbor Road. Pretty brutal hike in and out but, we decided to make one trip out so each had a billy plus gear on our backs ... We found our billys but coming in from the other side may be a better option.