Thread: Cabin internet

Default Cabin internet

Will be trying MTA's fixed wireless internet service. Not sure what the speed is they think 28K but this is a new service and they don't know. Closer to the tower the better we are 7 miles. The service is 39.00 a month plus 24.00 phone service.

Quote Originally Posted by pa18tony View Post
    Will be trying MTA's fixed wireless internet service. Not sure what the speed is they think 28K but this is a new service and they don't know. Closer to the tower the better we are 7 miles. The service is 39.00 a month plus 24.00 phone service.
    If you get cell service why not just use an air card in a laptop? Wouldn't that work?

I wish I could get ATT at the cabin. Then I'd just use my Iphone. My ACS system with flip phone, amp, and yagi antenna works great but there is no amp I've found that works with Iphones. Bummer.

From what MTA told us this is the only game in town. I do know that ACS works off the same tower but does not support internet.

Does Hughs Net work up there? I live in a rural part of Washington State and we use Hughs Net satellite service. We could only get dial up and that was not acceptable to me so we went with Hughs Net. We have high speed with great service. There are 2 hang ups though. #1 the price is $80 per month and the other is that because of the travel back and forth to the satellite you do experience a time delay. The time delay is only about 1 second and does not effect much that I do but my son hates it because he can not play online games. Ohhh too bad.

Anyhow, you check to see if it works up there. You may not want to change, but if it is available up there and you want high speed it might be an option.

Also it might be an option for those out and way from the grid.

Default mta internet

i have mta and i bought the internet service with the smartphone. my place is above lake creek and i can get the internet good on my phone. i was also thinking about the sattelite internet also, but for now the system i have works great for me.

We will see how it works. Did call on the Hughs system and that might be the way to go. Install might be costly.Susitna Energy will do the install and have to give them a call. We will use MTA till spring and then make the pick.

Tony, imagine it requires a beam (yagi) antenna? Do they install it?

Install for Hughes or Starband shouldn't run more than $500, but the equipment is a bit more than that. Good luck,

Just picked up all the parts and it does have a yagi antenna. We have to do the install but dont see much of a problem as we can see the tower from the deck. The hard part will be driving in the 8'x 5/8" ground rod (need a saw).

Your thread re-ignited my desire to make the Iphone work. I called Wilson Electronics (the cell phone amplifier guys) and they gave me some part numbers to make it work. Maybe. If I can find an ATT tower within range. I guess I have another project!

Default Aircards.......

Just because your cell phone works somewhere does NOT mean that an aircard will work as well. Trust me, I know. It depends on whether you have 2G or 3G service where you will be using your aircard. 2G is slow slow slow, probably slower than dial up even. 3G is fast. If you have 3G then go with an aircard.

Question

Well we made it! Skinny water in the creek hit a few logs. Computer works slow but faster than me. Swans and ducks on the pond. Good freinds for company plenty of beer. Will have duck soup tomorrow. Maybe a bear skin for the cabin.

pa18tony and yentnaman,
    are you guys in the lake creek area? i have a place on bulchitna and we cant get cell service even though everyone else on the lake can. i've tried a yagi antenna with a direct connect to the phone and even that didnt work. i've been told that the nearest tower is in the shell hills behind skwentna which is where i tried to aim the yagi. we are using a sat phone for calls which is OK but the delay drives me crazy. what i would really like is some form of internet access so i could check weather back in anchorage before flying home. any advice on cell/internet set ups or cell service providers would be welcomed.

Default yep

im inbehind benalit lodge between otter lake and yentna river. if you know willie, im behind his place. i am getting my service from shell lake tower. as far as i know, only mta works out by me. a lot of my buddies that don't have mta have no service. i have a palm pilot to access the internet, and it allways works for me out there.

We set up our fixed wireless this summer with MTA and the phone works great, but at the time the ydid not have enternet. On our side of the Lake we do not get Cell phone, but do get every radio station, "go figure." So we went through MTA fixed wireless. What is the cost and did you need a special modem?

Thanks and enjoy your Duck soup for sounds like your having a good time out there with freinds and cheer.
    AK LIVIN

Quote Originally Posted by pa18tony View Post
    Well we made it! Skinny water in the creek hit a few logs. Computer works slow but faster than me. Swans and ducks on the pond. Good freinds for company plenty of beer. Will have duck soup tomorrow. Maybe a bear skin for the cabin.

I presently live and work close to Lake Clark

I found the whole package for Hughesnet on Ebay for $79.00 and the shipping is $65.00.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Your thread re-ignited my desire to make the Iphone work. I called Wilson Electronics (the cell phone amplifier guys) and they gave me some part numbers to make it work. Maybe. If I can find an ATT tower within range. I guess I have another project!
    I have a light weight antenna tower you can have,(free) if you want.

Default IPhone internet from cabin

I just noticed this thread, so am getting in "late" to the discussion. I have a cabin in the foothills of the Alaska Range, about 40 miles south of Fairbanks. I am currently using a 3 watt booster, manufactured by Smoothtalker (they have a web site), although Wilson electronics makes one that should do the same thing.

Last year I discoved that the "key" to the best cell connection was a "dual band" Yagi anatenna. You can try Radio Shack for the antenna, but I ordered mine from a dealer on the internet. I consistently get a full 5 bars on AT&T's Edge system, which is every bit as good, or better, in many cases, than I can get right here in town.

The other key, at least for me, was that I slide the phone into one of the sleeves, or car booster units that Smoothtalker sells for using in your car. It seems to provide the best booster to phone connection, and it can keep your phone charged at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    I have a light weight antenna tower you can have,(free) if you want.
    if mr pid don't want the tower, i'll take you up on the offer. i'm going to install a small yagi, and also a small cb ant

Quote Originally Posted by AK LIVIN View Post
    We set up our fixed wireless this summer with MTA and the phone works great, but at the time the ydid not have enternet. On our side of the Lake we do not get Cell phone, but do get every radio station, "go figure." So we went through MTA fixed wireless. What is the cost and did you need a special modem?

Thanks and enjoy your Duck soup for sounds like your having a good time out there with freinds and cheer.
    AK LIVIN
    AK The service cost you 40 a month and the box needs to be changed out. It cost nothing up front but if you Quit the service and dont return the box its 1200.00

Yetnaman:
    Never heard from Mr. Ped, the tower is your if you still want it.

Email me and I will give you direction.