Thread: Feral swine

Default Feral swine

The hunting regs list feral swine under the deleterious wildlife, is there a population of them this far north? If so what unfortunate piece of real estate have they claimed.
    Justin

Sterling, Alaska

Well then it is my solemn duty to head down there and rid our fair state of this blight on our ecosystem.
    Justin

good luck with that!

Is it a very big herd of feral swine? Or is it just a couple of pot belly pigs that someone has turned loose to fend for themselves? If I was to head down there to do my part where would be a good starting location?
    Justin

I think the story goes something like...some pigs got out of a fenced area several years ago etc etc. I have lived in Sterling 20 years and worked in the area where the pigs got out for a number of years for extended periods and have never seen a feral pig. I think I saw a bigfoot once though.

they were russian boars....Big, 150lbs, i believe there were around 80 of them that got loose....your not very likely to find any as this happened several years ago, and there were a few that got shot, but ive heard that the wolves and the bears pretty much wiped them out....found some remains that appeared to be a wolf kill but really couldnt tell you.....my opinion, focus your attention elsewheres....go hunt turkeys i hear they have gang fights with the grouse....seriously, youd be more help to snub out a few coyotes or wolves if your tryin to help the environment.

Trust me wolves and coyotes are on the hit list also. Along with bear. Just found it intriguing that the regs listed feral swine and always ready to chase something else around the woods if it was available. Sounds like it is in the regs now just in case some more get loose.
    Justin

yeah so are turkeys....there are feral turkeys in homer, ninilchik, cooper landing, peters creek, and now butte...

the problem with turkeys is they tend to eat the same forage as grouse and other native game birds, especially the cran berries, and they have been known to overbrowse an area and really hurt a grouse population very quickly....they also draw more predators to an area because they are noisy and not adapted to this habitat, since they are pen raised or what have you they become easy prey, and predators such as fox, coyote and lynx, and even eagles and owls, learn fast.

Im married to one!

I believe most of them are in Juneau, although I'm sure you could find a few in Anchorage as well.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

There was a rim rock area in eastern MT that had a population of feral goats that had been turned loose when some homesteader was starved out in the 30's. Never got to be a big enough herd to be a problem. Enough coyotes and ranch hands to keep them under control. Now are you talking about 2 legged swine and featherless turkeys in Juneau?
    Justin

Quote Originally Posted by lug View Post
    Now are you talking about 2 legged swine and featherless turkeys in Juneau?
    Justin

Make sure you let me know when that season opens up.

Jeremiah

I am seeing a pattern here; basically the answer to any question about domestic animals illegally released into the wild seems to be "Sterling"
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

I have seen Turkeys and Pheasants in Ninilchik. I have also seen a good number of what I call feral rabbits, you know those big fat brown type you can buy at a pet store. All of these animals have been released to the wild by previous owners. My parents neighbors released about 25 rabbits two years ago, but fall they where all gone.

A few years ago, I spent a couple of months separating Chuckars from a flock that decided to call my garage roof their new home. I removed them one by one with the help of an old pellet gun. And, I confirmed their position in the food chain with a little salt, pepper, butter, and bread stuffing. mmmmm... Chuckar and stuffing is tasty....

Oh... and I wasn't in Sterling.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Delta had a few feral Russian Boars a couple decades ago....very few, and they didn't survive the predators.