Thread: 180 Grain Core Lokts, 30-06 for elk??

Default 180 Grain Core Lokts, 30-06 for elk??

Going to bring a back-up 30-06 on my elk hunt, right now it's sighted in with 180 grain core lokts. Think that will be decent?

Thanks,
    Mike

Default Elk

Mike, the 180gr. Core Lokt will be fine for elk in your 30-06. I have shot quite a few deer with 150gr. core lokt in my 30-06 and always had real good results. Elk are bigger but you will be fine, the 30-06 is a back up to ??? Good luck, Mark

Thumbs up 180gr PSP

yes sir will do fine limit shots 300 yards or less

A freind 20 years ago (roughly) shot an elk with a 180 grain out of a 06 at 200 yards, give or take, and it went through the chest of one and landed just under the skin after passing through a second elk. Both spikes standing perfectly side buy side. Coming from elk country, the 180 in an 06 is the "standard fare".

No sweat. A good friend uses nothing else and has harvested all species of North American game, repeatedly in many cases. His favorite. I tried to ween him onto Nosler Patitions, but he'd have none of it.

Marcopolo,
    I'm bringing two 30-06s. My primary rifle is sighted in with 168 Grains Tipped TSXs. I'd work up loads for the second gun but being that it's already sighted in for the 180s and its a backup, I'm gonna leave well enough alone for that one.

Thanks,
    Mike

That is a great round for larger animals. I bit to slow to expand for deer but they will do the job just fine!