Thread: I'm hunting, she's fishing

Default I'm hunting, she's fishing

Hunting has been good, and when I go again today, hopefully, I will take my camera, as my new batterie was my "fix"
    "But" The woman has her fair share of tooling about and this is what she does. The kids are getting older now, (And I aint compliain'n!!!)have the house, and they keep it clean, and safe, so were getting alot more time to gather this summer.
    Funnt as it is, its mostly the women that go fishing around here, except spring, when 60lb+ Sheefish can be pulled up through the ice, then everyone who can tip a stick gets in on the action.

We need and use a lot of fish. In dogteam days fish WAS $$. Fuel for the North. The best were eaten by people. A working husky needs a salmon a day.
    Theres no near the fishing pressure there was in centuries past, and belive me, the fishing is good.
    Nowadays, fewer people fish, but we have a taste for it and as long as we can, theres a net out somewhere.
    We dry them and smoke them and put them away frozen. When the river ices over, well be stacking up Caribou and the women will run ice nets for Whitefish and Sheefish, as well as Burbot "Tiktallik" here.
    We trade and eat our fish for other foods, besides, 15 of us live together, so everones happy for Fish.
    Were smoking up a bunch right now, drying quite an assortment of Whitefish and variuos Salmon slowly in this chill weather, but the end result is pretty good, just takes time, as its very cool and totally "Bugless" which is a blessing in itself......wont see bugs for 8 months .
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Done and ready for drying, smoking or frying.

Tiktallik too....

Boiled with a 1/2 cup suger and a gallon of water, dipped in garlic butter, its just like Lobster.........

It all comes down to food.
    a net can keep you and yours fed, with some variety too. In early spring, people spred their salmon nets at the end of a long line of willows and drive dozens of rabbits into them for clubbing and shooting. Ptarmigan were commonly caught this way as well.
    Boiled Salmon heads and eggs.....roasted with onions too

Whitfish stomachs boiled with eggs, Livers and fat Mmmmmmmm!!!!

I need to get a picture of breakfast....
    Crisp fry'd Salted salmon bellys in the morning...Kobuk River Bacon
    My oldest daughter took most of these pix. Her moms best fishing partner , there.
    She too shall fish, if the oportunity is there in her future.
    Ill edit in some more when my computer behaves.

Very interesting Stranger. Please explain the smoking process. Evidently it is done inside a tarp? Besides the standard store bought smoker I've seen them made of plywood or old fidges but never that volumn of fish being smoked.
    Jerry

Default Nice fish

I really like those fish that are sliced down to the skin. Is this for drying, smoking or does it help with both? Do you still have the dogs? I thought you did not have the team anymore? Still nice to get some fish in for the winter, sounds like you have lots to feed--15? Good luck in your harvest. Thanks, Mark

For a smokeshack, Anything that holds in smoke but not heat, keeps off the sunshine and the rain will do.
    We have "A" dog, and we feed her the less than tasty Salmon as well as scraps, and thats good for her, but alot of mouths here for sure.
    2 hunters in the house, one partime employ'd or gone hunting guy, an artist/Fisherwoman, a babysitter/house lady, a City Clerk, and our various decendants, who either leave for school or roam the house
    So we all work together to live happy like.

Sweet Post! Brings back memmories of when I used to live in Nome. We had a set net and would dry/smoke fish exactly the same way you would do. Nice Pics!

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/