Thread: Spray-on wipe-off aluminum cleaner?

Default Spray-on wipe-off aluminum cleaner?

I was looking for some spray-on wipe-off aluminum cleaner for my HewesCraft River Runner; just to quickly remove the river scum and water spots after a day out on the water (river).

When I bought the boat it had an incredible shine. I used the Garelick EZ-IN - Boat Metal Polish but it takes more elbow grease than I have to get a good shine.

I was wondering how those fancy Wooldridge guys keep their shine on. I have read a little about the Shark Hide product but was wondering if there exists a simple spray-on, wipe-off product the cuts the water spots and river scum easily.

Thanks in advance

John H.

I've wondered if there was a good/fast product for this - however, I've heard that leaving the patina of "aged" aluminum is a good thing, in that it is a thin layer of oxidation, which effectively keeps the aluminum from oxidizing any further. If you kept up on cleaning this off all the time, would you actually be removing aluminum material, and have the effect of thinning the hull? Any ideas on this?

Thumbs up Blinded by the Shine!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan XL View Post
    I've wondered if there was a good/fast product for this - however, I've heard that leaving the patina of "aged" aluminum is a good thing, in that it is a thin layer of oxidation, which effectively keeps the aluminum from oxidizing any further. If you kept up on cleaning this off all the time, would you actually be removing aluminum material, and have the effect of thinning the hull? Any ideas on this?
    I'm thinking about shining her up like this guy's... (just the sides, not the bottom)

Wouldn't be hard to see ya coming up the river!

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7241

Napa auto parts has an aluminum cleaner; not for polished or clear coated stuff. Part # on the spray bottle is 1450 (maybe 1458; can't read my writing!) and it says both Napa on the bottle as well as "Mac's".
    Jim
    P.S. bottle says for "open pore" aluminum
    Last edited by Big Jim; 09-28-2009 at 22:57. Reason: added info

If you want it to look like that, use Flitz. It's the best stuff out there to polish metal. It needs to be clean first, thats where the acid spray will come into play. Clean it with the acid, then finish it up with the Flitz. It does take some elbow grease, but its not bad. If you find you are working really hard to get it to work, you're probably using too much of it. A pea-sized drop is what I start with.

West marine sells it, I'm sure you can get it at auto stores too, maybe freddies or walmart too.

Thumbs up

Just get some old fashioned NavelGel. It is good for glass hulls as well.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~