Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Spray-on wipe-off aluminum cleaner?

  1. #1
    Member rhd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    51

    Default Spray-on wipe-off aluminum cleaner?

    I was looking for some spray-on wipe-off aluminum cleaner for my HewesCraft River Runner; just to quickly remove the river scum and water spots after a day out on the water (river).

    When I bought the boat it had an incredible shine. I used the Garelick EZ-IN - Boat Metal Polish but it takes more elbow grease than I have to get a good shine.

    I was wondering how those fancy Wooldridge guys keep their shine on. I have read a little about the Shark Hide product but was wondering if there exists a simple spray-on, wipe-off product the cuts the water spots and river scum easily.

    Thanks in advance

    John H.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    201

    Default

    I've wondered if there was a good/fast product for this - however, I've heard that leaving the patina of "aged" aluminum is a good thing, in that it is a thin layer of oxidation, which effectively keeps the aluminum from oxidizing any further. If you kept up on cleaning this off all the time, would you actually be removing aluminum material, and have the effect of thinning the hull? Any ideas on this?

  3. #3
    Member rhd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    51

    Thumbs up Blinded by the Shine!

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan XL View Post
    I've wondered if there was a good/fast product for this - however, I've heard that leaving the patina of "aged" aluminum is a good thing, in that it is a thin layer of oxidation, which effectively keeps the aluminum from oxidizing any further. If you kept up on cleaning this off all the time, would you actually be removing aluminum material, and have the effect of thinning the hull? Any ideas on this?
    I'm thinking about shining her up like this guy's... (just the sides, not the bottom)

    Wouldn't be hard to see ya coming up the river!

    http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7241

  4. #4

    Default

    Napa auto parts has an aluminum cleaner; not for polished or clear coated stuff. Part # on the spray bottle is 1450 (maybe 1458; can't read my writing!) and it says both Napa on the bottle as well as "Mac's".
    Jim
    P.S. bottle says for "open pore" aluminum
    Last edited by Big Jim; 09-28-2009 at 22:57. Reason: added info

  5. #5

    Default

    If you want it to look like that, use Flitz. It's the best stuff out there to polish metal. It needs to be clean first, thats where the acid spray will come into play. Clean it with the acid, then finish it up with the Flitz. It does take some elbow grease, but its not bad. If you find you are working really hard to get it to work, you're probably using too much of it. A pea-sized drop is what I start with.

    West marine sells it, I'm sure you can get it at auto stores too, maybe freddies or walmart too.

  6. #6

    Thumbs up

    Just get some old fashioned NavelGel. It is good for glass hulls as well.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •