Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mounting a Truck Camper on a trailer...

Default Mounting a Truck Camper on a trailer...

Anyone ever done this? Put a camper on say a car hauler trailer and then be able to haul a 4 wheeler and other junk up front? If you have, got any pics? How big and heavy of a camper/trailer, what about tongue weight? I have a full size chevy conversion van that we have used for camping and we really like it. I had the T400 tranny redone a couple years back, put 3.73 gears in the rear end and just replaced the tired 305 with a fairly strong 350. We are shopping for a travel trailer or maybe a camper on a trailer. I don't want a typical toy hauler, too big and I don't like the idea of hauling a muddy stinky atv in the middle of my living space down the road. If we get a travel trailer then the atv will have to stay at home when we use it. So, I'm scheming.

I put a cabover camper on a trailer and drove down the highway there was to much tounge weight with that trailer and I had some repairs to do after a couple hundred frost heaves
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

What kind of trailer was it and how big was the camper? How far back/forward did you have it mounted? I am considering a 16 or 18ft car hauler with a 10ft camper mounted rearward. My concern was that the tongue weight may be a little light if I did not have a 4 wheeler on the deck in front of it.

Anyone else??

Default camper/trailer

We went from a 9-1/2' to a 11'11'' Lance last year. When we took the old camper off, I used two forklifts and put it on my 16' trailer centered on the axles. I had about a foot left on the back for a porch. I put it on the trailer for storage until I could sell it, but pulled it several times on hunting trips and it pulled great. Hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks txguide. So that left you about 5-6 ft in front of the camper then? Enough room for a 4 wheeler huh? Any idea what the whole setup weighed? I'm sort of guestimating that if I had a 16ft trailer it'd go about 1500lbs and a 9-10ft Camper would be around 2000-2500? So, maybe 3500-4000lbs? Sound reasonable?

I have seen them on car hauler 2 axles normally an 18' bed, with wheeler parking up front, also seen one with one wheeler in front and one behind on possibly a 22' trailer.

I have always wanted to find a small pop up for cheap (possibly with axle damage), cut the axles wheels off with a torch and mount the wrong way on the front of a 22'-24' car hauler. Then put a car behind the camper? Had an ALCAN travelers dream about the combo behind a U Haul...

But car haulers are pretty cheap to rent and hotels not too bad when looking for a good rest, all things considered so probably not going to happen.

Default Camper

Here is an option
    Attached Images Attached Images

We see alot of these rigs coming through here in Soldtona in the summer months. Usually they stuff the camper to the front though and put the wheelers to to rear. I have 2 freinds that have them on 5th wheel trailers. They are about 30' trailers though but this allows them but have the camper and four sleds on the trailer, or a mud buggy truck in the summer months. Works out pretty slick at a fraction of the cost of a toy hauler.

Mind your tongue weight if you do this...

When I lived and hunted in Colorado lots of people did this. They also included a chest freezer powered by a generator. I've seen popups on flatbeds with atv's and freezers, others had slide in campers on the trailer.

Default Double check the trailer jacks

With the wide fenders on the trailer you might need a camper with dually jacks. Just something to keep in mind.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Snug View Post
    With the wide fenders on the trailer you might need a camper with dually jacks. Just something to keep in mind.

Doug
    Thanks for that info. I have been figuring it might be kind of tricky getting it on the trailer. Once it's there though it will be there to stay. I hadn't thought about dually jacks.

Default Trailer and slide in campers meet

Here is one that was on Alaska's List, the scenery looks like Montana in the photo..

Default dually jacks

My camper had dually jacks and was still was not wide enough. I went to a local rental yard and used a forklift on each side, lifted camper off of truck and pulled out and then backed trailer under camper. It took about 5 minutes and the rental yard didn't even charge me.

Default Talk to

My friend who is a member on AOD (Alanqaq) runs a sweet set up. Send him a PM and get the details, but he puts two wheelers on the rear behind the camper and a meat wagon under the cab-over and another in his truck bed.
    He's a great guy, just really busy, so give him time to respond.

Ed

Yes, growin up we had a pop-up camper turned backwards on a home-built tandom axle trailer. ATVs tucked under the camper overhang to the rear. Entrance to the camper interior is from the trailer tongue area. With the light weight of the pop-up, tongue weight wasn't too much of an issue. Load levelers help with this too. Short trailer side boards allowed tons of storage along the sides of the camper (bbq, propane, tools, etc). ATVs load/unload from backend of trailer easily. Bolt camper down through floor and trailer deck/frame. Wish I had pics - nothing but awesome memories. Sweeeeet common sense setup!!!!!

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Quote Originally Posted by e45colt View Post
    My friend who is a member on AOD (Alanqaq) runs a sweet set up. Send him a PM and get the details, but he puts two wheelers on the rear behind the camper and a meat wagon under the cab-over and another in his truck bed.
    He's a great guy, just really busy, so give him time to respond.

Ed

Thanks for the kind words Ed! I will post up some pics shortly.....
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Ok…… how to build a “Clamper”….

It earned the name Clamper because my buddies claim it’s so ugly that only Ned Clamput would own such a thing!

Anyway, the idea for me, was to buy one of those really nice $45,000 toy haulers! But the wife said “you can spend $6,000 and not a penny more!” So my brother-in-law and I did a fair amount of beer drinking and pondering on how to make a camper setup that would be adequate for my family of 4 (now 5) and also haul 2 full size ATV’s and a meat wagon for less than $6000 and still be light enough to pull with a gas powered ¾ ton truck. Once we had the basic plan down, we went and had a sit down with Jim Rosteck at Arora Trailers. Jim know exactly what we wanted and had a bunch of great ideas. He then welded up the trailer frame and added the two axles. Note that they are not sprung together and are both brake axles. Bro-in-law and I welded up the sides and did all the decking.

Mounting the camper was the biggest pain, as it is about a foot narrower than the trailer, so extensions had to be welded on the camper jacks that frankly made them pretty wobbly and scary!

As you can see from the pictures, she aint very pretty, but it is very functional and rugged, with lots of room for storage. Overall max allowable weight is 7000lbs, and it will be right at that when fully loaded. I really want to cut the aft axle off, add a third axle and spring all three together, but we will have to see if time and funding allows for that this spring….

Anybody that wants to build a similar rig, should feel free to send me a PM and I will provide you with a bunch of info and pictures.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

I think my overall length is 30ft including the tongue. so there is 10ft of camper and 10ft of bed, plus about 4 1/2 foot of bed under the overhang. you could get a small ATV on the front but it would be tight...

note that the sides of the camper make perfect storage spots for action packers and propane bottles. also have a couple of marine batteries to power one of those mini-DVD players to keep the kiddo's entertained if its rainin out....

the camper is a vintage 1972 Leer that we yanked out the fridge and heater to make additional storage. also converted the original propane tank storage into interal storage. Mounted a big buddy heater and it does a great job down to about 10 deg F or so. Adults could deal with lower temps, but the kids dont seem to cope as well....

she is startin to get a little cramped with 5 of us.... but the three boys are under 6 years old, so they all sleap up top with Mom and I take the couch. In a pinch, one more person can sleep on the floor. It's not as luxurious as a nice slide out 5th wheel that is for sure.... but it's still better than dealing with tents!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast