Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Two Stoves

  1. #1

    Default Two Stoves

    Here's a question for the panel: I've been looking in the archives for the same question, but can't seem to find it. If a guy wanted to put a wood-burning stove in the cabin for start-up heat, and also have an oil drip stove for heat maint., could you connect the two stacks so you only have one going out of the roof? The reason I ask is, I've been reading that wood heat seems to heat the place up faster, but I like many folks, don't want to get up out of bed to stoke that fire at 0300. Any thoughts?

    Bob

  2. #2

    Thumbs down I wouldn't

    I personally wouldn't even consider it. Too many draft issues to deal with. For either stove to work correctly, the chimney has to be tailored to the stove.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  3. #3
    Member Rock_skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Deltajct
    Posts
    2,499

    Default

    I have a three story cabin ( including the basement) and have the biggest earth wood stove in the basement, secound size earth wood stove on the main floor.

    Was tired of going up there every weekend and taken 2 hours for the place to warm up.

    Installed a drip in the basement, conected it to the wood stove stack, and set it on low.

    Never start the one in the basement anymore,( Unless I run out of fuel) and run only the one on the main floor.

    A little blast of smoke when you put another log on the fire upstairs, other than that it works great.

    I just piped it into the lower woodstove and works great.

    If I know I'm coming back in a few days, its nice and warm when I get there.

    They make dampers to allow for the draft.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    wasilla
    Posts
    788

    Default

    Teri
    I installed wood, coal, gas, amd pellet for many years in CO. What you are asking is illegal to do in the building code. The NFPA 211 states that there can not be a common flue for more than one solid fuel appliance. The reason for this code goes back to the days when each room had a stove in it with a central chimney and something in the basement.
    The problem was that you could get gasses from one or the other appliance and a flash explosion.

    Anyone can install what they wish in there own home but if there is a fire the insurance may not cover you if that was the cause of the said fire.

    Good luck T

    Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

  5. #5
    Member Dirtofak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beaver Creek
    Posts
    2,267

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Teri View Post
    Here's a question for the panel: I've been looking in the archives for the same question, but can't seem to find it. If a guy wanted to put a wood-burning stove in the cabin for start-up heat, and also have an oil drip stove for heat maint., could you connect the two stacks so you only have one going out of the roof? The reason I ask is, I've been reading that wood heat seems to heat the place up faster, but I like many folks, don't want to get up out of bed to stoke that fire at 0300. Any thoughts?

    Bob
    Bob,
    My thoughts,

    You should still be fishing at 0300.

    If you build correctly and purchase a decent wood stove, it should last 8 hours.

    Remember that the wind can come out of 2-3 directions all in the same day.

    Mike

  6. #6
    Member matjpow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    KGB
    Posts
    301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sweepint View Post
    The problem was that you could get gasses from one or the other appliance and a flash explosion.

    Good luck T
    Under the right conditions you have a gassifier in your basement. Wood gas can be highly flammable if the oxygen mixes right. Just like shooting propane into the flue. It could make you really warm, really fast.
    That's what she said...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •