Thread: Alaska Guide Report

Default Alaska Guide Report

Was doing some checking up on a local guide who's getting a bad rep and came across this site. http://www.alaskanyukon.com/subscribe.htm

Clicked on the hunt reports and online magazine and found this. http://www.alaskanyukon.com/coupons.htm There's some real interesting reading here including the fact that these guys keep track of "problem hunters" including "fish and game plants", "whiners", "drunkards".....etc on their "Gold list". While that is intersting and a bit eyebrow raising, what really caught my eye was what I read scrolling down towards the bottom.

It is this organization's vision of Alaska reclaiming it's spot as the "number one sportsman's paradise". I'm sure this will be a real eye opener to Alaska resident hunters.

Some of their recommendations include eliminating subsistance and tier ll which I'm sure will be popular with some, and consolidating game management under one entity, another popular choice no doubt.

But then there is .............

All game animals on a permit system with a fifty /fifty split on tags between residents and non-
    residents. Residents can apply for a flat $20 fee. The Non -resident application fee is $50.
    going as guaranteed tags for guided non resident hunters and 25% going to non -residents hunting with an
    air taxi. The remaining 50% going to resident Alaskans on a drawing permit system.

and these......................................

Double the price of non-resident big game tags.

Make all tags transferable. They can be bought and sold. Permits are only valid for specified GMZ..
    Once residents realize they can get more than a bunch of meat to throw out of their freezer every year, wildlife
    will have realized value.

Allow the use of helicopters for transport of hunters, meat, gear and predator control ( just like
    Canada, New Zealand, Australia and every other country on the globe).

The resumption of a bounty on wolves as a work program for rural residents.
    -------------------------------------------------------

Definitely some controversial proposals there.

I was glad to see that there were no guides listed on the site that I respect. And yes, the local troublemaker was listed there as a respected professional member.

It's funny, but every review of this guy I can find by hunters who went with him call it the worst hunt they've ever been on. But I guess a little money can buy you respectability. There was another site I found too that he was listed as a reccommended guide, but I believe he was a paid advertiser on that site.

Talking Yikes!

Let the games begin!!!!! Bushrat, I think we found some points that less people will agree with than you points on ATV abuse

boy i see the names of some guys in there that i've dealt with and would be scared if a client told me they were hunting with them. some of the rules they want to enforce would have to disband several of the outfitters they have listed as proffessionals!!
    I'm a guide and SOME of that scares me, some good ideas, some outrageous ones.

Quote Originally Posted by twodux View Post
    All game animals on a permit system with a fifty /fifty split on tags between residents and non-
    residents. Residents can apply for a flat $20 fee. The Non -resident application fee is $50.
    going as guaranteed tags for guided non resident hunters and 25% going to non -residents hunting with an
    air taxi. The remaining 50% going to resident Alaskans on a drawing permit system.
    Wow. I can see that one going over like a lead ballon. Here in B.C. the g/o's are trying to get a guaranteed alotment, but the gov't is not giving residents a guarantee at this point.

Make all tags transferable. They can be bought and sold. Permits are only valid for specified GMZ..
    Once residents realize they can get more than a bunch of meat to throw out of their freezer every year, wildlife
    Watch everyone, non hunters included, apply for a sheep hunt and then sell it.

Allow the use of helicopters for transport of hunters, meat, gear and predator control ( just like
    Canada, New Zealand, Australia and every other country on the globe).
    Use of a helicopter for hunting is prohibited in B.C., and unfortunately we stopped doing predator control.
    It's the journey, not the destination.

Interesting information on this site. Better gets some popcorn sit back and watch all the fun that site is going to stir up.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

what bothers me the most is some of the big names behind it..hate to see that.

Don't be fooled by this "guide report".....

I know the individual behind this, one person..... a non-resident guide.

glad to see your imput byron, nice to know other guides have their ear to the ground on this one. would you mind PM'ing me and let me know who the guy is running that show?

Quote Originally Posted by twodux View Post

Although I find some of the other proposals objectionable, this one really torqued me. Of all the presumptuous, condecending, flat out BS propoganda, this takes the cake. "A bunch of meat to throw out of the freezer every year"? My family and most other resident hunter's families I know make good use of the meat they harvest. It's very important to us, over half the meat my family consumes is meat and fish I've harvested myself. And I've never thrown any out. I've given some to friends who appreciate wild meat, but never thrown any away.

And brno375 is right, if it was legal to buy and sell permits, everyone would be doing it even non-hunters or PETA members, leaving less and less for legitimate hunters unless you payed someone to get a permit, making the cost of hunting go even higher.

While I think most of these proposals are an outrageous attempt to grab as much of a resource as possible for a select few, I don't think they have a snowball's chance in the Devil's hockey game of going anywhere. Especially as long as Alaskan resident hunters know this is even being considered and stay on their toes and stay involved in the process. That's the reason I posted the link. Information is a goods thing.

Just remember the names of the guys who appear to be behind this and keep an eye on them.