Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attack of the marmot

Talking Attack of the marmot

Last friday morning, I decided to go moose hunting locally here in the Valley. My brother in law owns 40 acres off a main road here and I decided to give that area a shot.
    Got up before dawn and drove myself to the property. It rained the night before and there were puddles of standing water,scattered along a small dirt trail that I was walking.The morning light cast shadows as I crept along slowly. Then I saw something move about 20 feet in front of me. Low and behold, it was a marmot, squatting along side the trail. As I slowly approached him, he started down the trail slowly in front of me. As he would come upon a puddle of water, he would swim to the end of it till running out of water and just lay there. Until I got to within 5 feet of him and he would get up and walk to the next puddle and do the swimming thing again. This must have went on for over 50 yards, both of us using the same trail, going in the same direction. He into numerous puddle's and myself enjoying the company.
    It has been years since I ran into a marmot and forgot how small and actually cute they seem to be. He didn't seem to be in any hurry and as stated, I was enjoying him swimming and crawling from puddle to puddle. After about 50 yards, I thought to my self that maybe I should get serious about Moose hunting and decided to pass the marmot on by. He swam to the end of a somewhat large puddle and sat and waited on me. This time I increased my stride and came up along side of him, about three feet away.
    This is when he must of decided that I was trying to do him some harm cause all of a sudden, he jumped straight at me and started to attack my ankles. Here I am, a big bad hunter with my rifle strapped over my back and I'm doing an irish jig with this marmot trying to bite and claw my ankles. This dance must have went on only 20 seconds but to me, as suprised as I was, it seemed a lot longer than that. No wanting to hurt the little fellow and not wanting to get bit myself, I finally danced away far enough that he cut off the attack. After my initial shock of being attacked, I couldn't help but laugh at the absurdity of the situation. We must have made one heck of a couple, dancing around in the light of dawn.
    I have been charged by both bear and moose and I think I was more suprised by this little guy more than anything else.
    Has anyone else ever run into an animal that did something out of the ordinary? I would had never thought a marmot would attack? I gotta admit it though, I'm still chuckling about it. By the way, Saw 5 cows that morning but no bulls.

Took one out of a snare, all tmid and such, half starngled and what I figured Id just finish with my hands..... once...... then he did about the same to my left arm..... even when I let go, he came back for more, grip locked and bitting fast and actualy escaped by breaking off his attack, leaving my wife stunned, me kinda roughed up and my oldest girl a bit leary about finnishing the set...~~LOL!!~~ luckily, the rest of the set was made from Rock deadfalls.

Now I just beat them to death, before removing the snare.

Delicious and a very good fur for cold weather parkee liners, Id say they get to be about 10-15 lbs, and are tough for their size
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Default Not to cause undue concern:

I really don't want to cause unnecessary alarm, but when mammals behave in a way that doesn't make sense, it makes me at least consider the possibility of rabies. I know marmots can do some weird things, so I think you can write this off to marmot weirdness. But still, did his saliva come into contact with your skin? Did he scratch you? If all he did was attack your boots and clothes, you probably wouldn't have anything to worry about either way.

Like I said, I really don't want to give you the heebie-jeebies about this. I just wanted to throw it out there, just in the extreme rare case.

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Thumbs up no contact except for clothing.

Naw, I am more inclined to think he was protecting himself. I am the one who went to him, not him to me. All he got was some rubber of my "extra tough" boots. After all these years, I'm still a pretty good dancer!!!

Default Great account.

While I have never been attacked by a Marrmot, I did have a couple of chipmunks climb up my leg and I swear as they got close to my "boys" I heard one say "Should we eat them here or take them with us". It was a near death experience.

Very well written post. I could almost see you doing the river dance.

Default the terrible fanged Alaskan....

.......GROUSE....

Had a roughie chase a buddy back down a trail. I thought that it was a Griz coming after him and I got a lil scared to begin with. We had no guns, only fly rods. This was on the resurection trail by swan lake. Lots of 'bar poo on the trail. When I realized a grouse was chasing him I took control of the situation and shooed the lil birdie away....

Rogue snails are bad for sure. They don't bite but can give a nasty suck if they catch you not paying attention.

Exclamation Angry Beavers!

had a beaver attack me once on his trail....came right for me at dusk, almost thought it was a darn bear! i let him have a late nite meal of birdshot...didnt kill him, but definately taught him a lesson.....by the way i was returning to camp from a evening grouse hunt when that happened. ive also had red squirrels hissing quite violently while, yes this is true, guarding the leftovers of a dead bird. never knew marmots were so unpredictable....we better put up signs to warn tourists. bullelkkllr i know of a spruce grouse that was attacking hikers in kincaid park a few years ago...it attacked more than a dozen people before finally meeting the end of its terrorist reign at the hands of a skilled rockthrower.

Old Natives used to tell us to watch out for muskrats, they have been known to jump so high that they could bite a person right between the eyes on the bridge of the nose. Another one to watch out for is the arctic tern, very territorial birds, if you are fishing off of one of their gravel bars they will do everything they can to hover over you waiting for the right moment to dive down and try to peck your eye out. Pretty dangerous critters out there in the wild.

Smile Nice post!

Bout rolled out of my chair. I can see your dance out there in the woods as plain as day.

This one time, on Adak, I was working at the metal dump water sampling and a RAT, with a tail a foot long and big rat balls dragging on the ground ran over my foot and started climbing up my Xtra-tuffs.

I know well the gig you danced with the marmot.

Had a buddy working for a drilling company doing core samples for a mining company. He walked under a tree and heard hissing and snarling overhead. He looked up and a martin was telling him off. He picked up a snowball and knocked the martin off the branch and when it hit the ground it came after him, he beat the martin to the cook shack and slammed the screen door behind him. The martin jumped up and attached himself to the screen growling the whole time. My buddy grabbed a .22 from the cook and shot him through the screen. He said he was glad he beat him to the shack.

Default Horned Owl!

Was taking a break while bowhunting one afternoon and sat on the ground with my right arm resting on a log. Dressed in full camo. A huge Horned Owl landed about 20 yards away -I started to wiggle my pointer finger and got his attention. After maybe 2 or 3 minutes of fun this huge bird jumped off his perch and in a flash was at my hand!!! Well, I about cr@@**d my pants and he immediatly learned some new words as I yelled in terror!
    It was amazing how fast he covered the distance between us and I will not play that game again!

Teasing an owl... now that's funny!
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I about wet myself reading that story. I was in Australia about 10-12 years ago and there were "opossums" around some bungalos on an island where I was staying. They were very bold and would eat out of your hand. I decided to feed one with one hand and try to pet it with the other. Not such a great idea. I start to pet it and the next thing I knew there was a "opossum" attached to my left hand!!! Wild animals are wild animals!!!

Brett

Default don't feel so foolish reading other posts.

I'm just glad that other people have experienced something similar. So now I don't feel so foolish. I'm still laughing though.

While hunting mule deer in AZ I was charged several times buy a free range bull. It would not let me climb down the tree stand, every time I would try, it would charge. After about an hour I had enough and I pulled out my sling shot that I use to hit red Squirrels. It was dark, and I could barley see him. He was facing away from me, so I only had a butt shot. It worked he took off like a bat out of hell, and he was bellowing as he ran.

Brother in law was "attacked" by a turkey on a moose draw hunt in the Kooteneys, southern BC. Kept at him even after they were in the truck. Last thing they saw was the turkey running after them as they drove down the road....
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Great stories, I needed a good laughing .

A few years back a buddy and I were deer hunting in Michigan. He was going to show me how great that attraction scents (doe in heat) worked. In the process he spilt it all over his gloves. I was giving him a hard time about how bad he smelt, then about a half hour later a young button buck was really nosing around his blind. And in one bound he jumped right into the blind with him. Him and the deer came out the back door just about as fast. I really wanted to help him, but I was laughing so hard I could not get up. All was OK, and he has never used that stuff again.

Default porky

A few years ago while bear hunting over near seldovia, I came to a real soft, sunny, grassy spot on the side of a hill and decided to take a little nap. After about a half hour I woke up and turned my head to the left, and when I opened my eyes, about a foot from my nose was a porcupine. Our eyes locked on each other and I let out a scream like an 8 year old girl. The porky instantly spun around and started backing up towards my head. I had to do a barrel roll down the hill to avoid a face full of quills.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast