Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camp cook & meat packer?

Default Camp cook & meat packer?

If a resident wanted to go hunting and he could not find a hunting partner. Would it be legal to pay someone to go with him? In case you got in trouble, cook or needed someone to help pack out a moose, but not to hunt with him.

The hunter would supply everything: vehicles, food, tent, gas, and hunting location. The helper would only need his personal gear. If the helper, wanted to go hunting there would be no problem.

What would be a reasonable wage per day?

Not sure about the legality from the buyers perspective, BUT, wouldn't the seller be "providing services in the field" and thus be required to hold a guide license?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

if services have nothing to do with the hunting or providing transportation for the hunter i do not think it would be a problem. and not require any licensing. IE- guide or big game transporter
    meat packer might be a problem.
    probably best to contact fish and wildlife protection to be sure.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

To be a big game transporter, I thought you had work for a guide?

I have a Wife.

She dont pay me so well, but I hunt for her anyway..... ~~LOL!!~~

Maby you could chalk it up under "Maid" and be sure to tip He/She?
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Well, if you had a paid helper, there would be times that he or she would be off the clock.
    He or she may very well be paid and on the clock when cooking or doing camp chores. However there is no way you can prevent your paid assistant from helping out when he or she is "off the clock" and helping of their own accord.

As far as wages, at least around here for unskilled highschool/college age kids, $10 an hour will catch most of them. $15-20 an hour should get you a very willing and attentive helper.

Why not just split the moose with him?

My brother and I just brought home a nice bull this season, I may have pulled the trigger, but that bull is every much his at it is mine as he carried half of it out and helped me unload and load the raft several times, etc.

I'd go under those terms, you shoot, we both eat. I even told my bro that whoever has the shot takes it. And had he pulled the trigger, I'd still feel just as successful as a moose hunter this year.

So maybe there's a guy out there who didn't get a moose this year and will gladly go along to enjoy some fall colors and brisk days, help you shoot your moose and recover it, and bring home some meat for the winter.

Just an idea

I know an older gent that hired a guy to pack his gear for him on a sheep hunt about 7-8 years ago, he loved Dr Pepper and had a 12 pack in his pack. Never thought about the legalities of it but I don't see it being a big deal. The guy didn't help him hunt, he just carried his gear for him and would have helped pack out his sheep if he were lucky enough to score, which he did not. Sure was envious of him while sitting in camp watching him drink his Dr Pepper and all I had was water.

Smile what I did...

Who knows in this day and age of over regulation. I just followed an old tradition and gave a guy my daughter, now he has to help me with everything.

Default Beware

Only guides and transporters are intitled to compnsation in the field. SO best set up camp in an area "associated with a city town or village" what ever that means.
    From the Statutes:
    "management purposes;
    (7) “guide” means to provide, for compensation or with the intent or with an agreement to receive
    compensation, services, equipment, or facilities to a big game hunter in the field by a person who accompanies or is
    present with the big game hunter in the field either personally or through an assistant; in this paragraph, “services”
    includes
    (A) contracting to guide or outfit big game hunts;
    (B) stalking, pursuing, tracking, killing, or attempting to kill big game;
    (C) packing, preparing, salvaging, or caring for meat, except that which is required to properly and safely
    load the meat on the mode of transportation being used by a transporter;
    (D) field preparation of trophies, including skinning and caping;
    (E) selling, leasing, or renting goods when the transaction occurs in the field;
    (F) using guiding or outfitting equipment, including spotting scopes and firearms, for the benefit of a
    hunter; "

I am sure, someone here would be glad to tag along for free, with you, why do you have to pay someone and supply everything, just to tag along. I would be happy, if someone invited me. People usually complain if you don't invite them hunting

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Why not just split the moose with him?

My brother and I just brought home a nice bull this season, I may have pulled the trigger, but that bull is every much his at it is mine as he carried half of it out and helped me unload and load the raft several times, etc.

I'd go under those terms, you shoot, we both eat. I even told my bro that whoever has the shot takes it. And had he pulled the trigger, I'd still feel just as successful as a moose hunter this year.

So maybe there's a guy out there who didn't get a moose this year and will gladly go along to enjoy some fall colors and brisk days, help you shoot your moose and recover it, and bring home some meat for the winter.

Just an idea

According to Anomonys One, this too would be contrary to the law in that the sharing of the moose would be "payment", and I'm pretty sure you can't sell or barter game meat. If a trooper asks, it would be cheaper to say your assistant is a prostitue. I'm sure the fine is much less and would not go on your game record.

Too many rules!

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    If a resident wanted to go hunting and he could not find a hunting partner. Would it be legal to pay someone to go with him? In case you got in trouble, cook or needed someone to help pack out a moose, but not to hunt with him.

The hunter would supply everything: vehicles, food, tent, gas, and hunting location. The helper would only need his personal gear. If the helper, wanted to go hunting there would be no problem.

What would be a reasonable wage per day?
    Call him a hunting partner - and share in the game. I'm trying to get myself a gig like that down here. Even offering to share my harvest with others or vice versa for whatever assistance is offered.... this is traditional.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Quote Originally Posted by 257wby View Post
    According to Anomonys One, this too would be contrary to the law in that the sharing of the moose would be "payment", and I'm pretty sure you can't sell or barter game meat. If a trooper asks, it would be cheaper to say your assistant is a prostitue. I'm sure the fine is much less and would not go on your game record.

Too many rules!
    Good point, I guess he should have shot that other bull that we called into camp two days later, that way, sharing the moose as family/hunting partners could in no way be construed as payment.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    Who knows in this day and age of over regulation. I just followed an old tradition and gave a guy my daughter, now he has to help me with everything.
    My father in law not only gave me his daughter, but a .300 winmag to boot, now I am his packhorse for life..............But it was a good trade
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

So Rutting Moose, any chance you got a 300 winny and a daughter?
    Hahaha!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

"Hunting together" is as old as Hunting.
    We all kick in when we hunt together as a crew.
    This is usually in a boat, but also when we camp out for Caribou or when we are out in the ocean....Mmmmmm BlackDucks.....
    The boat gets half. That could either be the guy who owns the boat, and is therefore driving, or it can be a 1/2 share for the family thats in the boat.
    Somebody shoots, somebody cooks, somebody babysits...everybody is busey and we all pitch in for gas and whatnots.
    Theres nothing wrong with hunting with friends and helping out one another.

A trooper once told me that the law is broken when $$ changes hands.
    Your buddy cant legally give you $$ to buy gas, but he can bring gas, was the explaination/example I got to hear...for what ever thats worth.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Splitting the meat 50/50 has never been a question, I never mention, it but the helper would have also received his share.

There are a lot of hunters who can’t find a reliable partner, we see there posts all the time.
    You can hire a guide and transporters; you can have Mike S. or Larry B. do all your homework for you, so why do you look down on some one who want to pay for a helper. If it was legal.

I all ready have peoples who will go, as long as I call in a big bull for him or family member. In fact I have done just that, several times in the passed, only to have them want to bring in more friends and family and not even mention paying for gas.

i don't see how it's any different than hiring a kid under the table to mow your lawn. most of these issues can be resolved by just not saying to much about it, get someone you know or don't know ask if they want to help you do some chores (carry hunting gear) and offer them a wage. Who here hasn't worked under the table before when you were younger (or older). If your worried about it just have the person work for free and send them a few hundred bucks on their birthday

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    I all ready have peoples who will go, as long as I call in a big bull for him or family member. In fact I have done just that, several times in the passed, only to have them want to bring in more friends and family and not even mention paying for gas.
    Thats a shame that the people willing to go have that stipulation. Personally I usually jump at any chance to go hunting with people if my tag is filled or not, if I have no plans for those set days of course. Sometimes I don't even bring a rifle. Just going along being a packer, and being part of a hunt and getting to shoot animals with a camera and help with the skinning is just as good as being on my own hunt. The only difference is I didn't get to pull a trigger. When I offer to go along its usually unspoken that half the meat will be offered for my efforts and depending on my freezer situation I either accept or decline, but thats my call.

If folks are so obessed with wanting to pull the trigger, take them to the range prior to going hunting and let him get that out of their system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast