Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Picked up my moose from the processor

Thumbs up Picked up my moose from the processor

Here is my experiance with Tanana Valley Meats since the change. I dropped off my moose August 15th and they told me there was still 80 caribou to do ahead of my moose so it would take 3-4 weeks. It took a week longer but well worth the wait I had them make a bunch of summer sausage and it was great! Melt in your mouth quality. The breakfast sausage I cooked this morning was just as good. I am making some moose chili tonight. All in all I would use them again, just have to be patient.

Default I dropped my Moose off...

Tues or Wed of this week and they had 180 Moose outside in the freezers and the interior cooler was full of Beef, Lambs,pigs and other meats hanging. I never did ask how long of a wait so I suppose you waited4-5 weeks with only 80 Caribou that should put me out to about 3 months I guess.Better be some good stuff.

hmmm...I wonder if I can hunt in there...already skun, packed, gutted and quartered or would someone call that a canned hunt haha!

Default Wait time

I would have had it back sooner but I had 60 pounds of summer sausage made and 10 pounds of game sticks. They hade a buch of staff turnover during the process. He has a full crew in there now so hopefully it will not take as long. They did a good job.

Default Tradbow

Too bad season is closed BUT maybe next year you could take a stand about Sept. 1st. LOL

Default waiting and waiting

I am still waiting for my bou and it has been about 6 weeks. Was told originaly that it would be two weeks total. Now every time I call I am told it will be another week. I wonder if I will get my meat back or just some leftover crap they throw together. I had heard a bunch of negative stuff about this place but always want to give a place a chance for myself. All I am saying it had better be some pretty good product for the wait.

but roland, season doesnt close till the end of sept in the FMA

Default Tradbow

OKEE-DOKEE, back the truck to the door and load up. LOL

Default Just another reason...

Quote Originally Posted by mlwent View Post
    I am still waiting for my bou and it has been about 6 weeks. Was told originaly that it would be two weeks total. Now every time I call I am told it will be another week. I wonder if I will get my meat back or just some leftover crap they throw together. I had heard a bunch of negative stuff about this place but always want to give a place a chance for myself. All I am saying it had better be some pretty good product for the wait.
    Just another reason that I do all (except for the specialty things like sausage) processing on my dining counter at home. It really doesn't take that much time even for a single guy if you just focus on it for a few evenings and really gives you a lot of satisfaction when done. Nothing like knowing exactly what meat you have in that package in the freezer and that you are the only person to have touched it from when it was walking to when it is on the table for dinner.

Default Skeptical

I dropped off a moose around the 10th of Sept. No word so I called today. While on hold for 10 minutes, she comes back and says they will call me back later today. Well it's 5 and no call. 6 weeks is a little rediculous to me. I just cant imagine the meat being much good that long in a cooler on the floor. I talked to a trooper today who was there last week. He said the meat there was not hung up but instead scattered on the floor of the trailer. A friend of mine turned one in on the 6th of Sept. He too called today. They said it was not touched yet and maybe they can get to it sometime next week. I'm a little ticked right now and wondering what you all think of this. No more buisness from this guy.

WOW, that is insane!! We schedule a butcher appt. from the sat phone get ours cut up, wrap while he cuts and its in the freezer generally no more than 72 hours from the hoof!!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

hmmm seems i posted a thread about interior meat handlers....

from here on out GO TO DELTA.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default 5th Sep Moose

Tanana Valley Meats their help quit and the manager went moose hunting ( should have been cutting meat) their pipes freezed up last week. They hired 2 new wrapper/cutter last week........so now they are playing catch up. Delta Meats is a professional ran operation due to all the meat in Delta. I was told my moose would be ready 27th or 28th Oct. I do not mine the wait as long as the job is done well. They done a good job on last years moose, but I think someone else owned it.
    Alaska

yep my moose has been at tvm since sep. 2 still dont have it today

Default peeved

Quote Originally Posted by akscotty View Post
    yep my moose has been at tvm since sep. 2 still dont have it today
    Sounds like its time for a visit

WOW! There is no way I would drop my meat off if it were to take 5-6 weeks! That's just ridiculous! Back when I used to take meat in, it was 2 weeks max for finished product. Last few years we do all of our own, steak's, Roast's, burger, sausage. Not hard to do and it great stuff! Truly your OWN meat back!

So how was the amount of meat back?

Back when they were B-Y farms i took a moose there because they were the only place open. Anyway, when i finally got my meat back (about 8-9 weeks later...was probably longer)...all i got back for the actual meat was a milk crate wrapped and a milk crate ground and breakfast sausage. As far as the summer sausage and pepper/teriyaki...they were good and in the amount i ordered. I was disappointed with the amount of meat i got back ... i got back about what i should have from a caribou.

the following year i used delta meats and was pleasantly surprized. tons more meat from about the same sized moose and i kept the backstraps to do myself.

Also yes... back then they just threw the meat in piles in the truck. One thing i didnt like about B-Y farms is they never weighed the meat in front of you when you turned it in.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by ob_1jr View Post
    So how was the amount of meat back?

Back when they were B-Y farms i took a moose there because they were the only place open. Anyway, when i finally got my meat back (about 8-9 weeks later...was probably longer)...all i got back for the actual meat was a milk crate wrapped and a milk crate ground and breakfast sausage. As far as the summer sausage and pepper/teriyaki...they were good and in the amount i ordered. I was disappointed with the amount of meat i got back ... i got back about what i should have from a caribou.

the following year i used delta meats and was pleasantly surprized. tons more meat from about the same sized moose and i kept the backstraps to do myself.

Also yes... back then they just threw the meat in piles in the truck. One thing i didnt like about B-Y farms is they never weighed the meat in front of you when you turned it in.

friend of mine raised Bison in Nopo.. we had to shoot one that escaped in July... 98 deg. BY was the closet cooler to keep the meat from turning the hide was blown with in an hour or so...

anyway. he got 250lb of cut wrapped meat back wit bone in some. off a 6 year old bison
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

To the people who have their meat at TVM, I seriously doubt you'll get your own meat back. 5-6 week wait? They raising moose in the back or something? That's retarded.

Still no word on my moose. Shot it on Sept 6th turned into TVM on the 10th. Makes me feel like I shot a moose for nothing. I wish Delta could expand there operation in the fall a little more. Cudos to them for doing the fine work they do. I dont think I have ever heard a complaint about them. Not sure but I am thinking about buying a section of the newsminer to write about this. Or maybe contacting the FDA to come do a spot check. It's hard to imagine it is a USDA approved facility.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast