Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: Rm435

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    96

    Default Rm435

    I found a few old threads on this hunt but not a lot of detailed info.

    I have done quite a bit of research elsewhere as well. Sounds like a pretty crazy hunt in the way of lots of people. It is obviously going to be popular being so close to Anchorage. I didn't fare so well in the general season hunt so I am just looking to put some meat in the freezer.

    I am not worried by the physical part of it. From what I understand there is no motorized access to the area. Is this true? That would be a good thing for me. It helps give me a little bit of advantage.

    I know the snow conditions are different from year to year, but was there enough snow to ski in last year? Seams like with the early snow this year, it might be a possibility?

    One more thing, I assume the permits go fast, can I apply online right at midnight on the 8th?

    Thanks in advance for any help.

    Jason

  2. #2
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    144

    Default

    I drew the early hunt this year, saw lots of moose and lots of hunters. Did not take one, would have had to be a decent one to be worth the haul out. The good ones I saw was across from where I was, unreachable for me. A buddy of mine drew the late hunt and scored last Tuesday with a smaller bull. Helped him carry it out on Wednesday. This hunt is NO joke. If you get one in there have a plan set up with 3 or 4 buddy’s to get it out. I’m a true believer now in the rule of thumb about not hauling a moose more than a mile to some sort of transportation! The moose I saw taken during my hunt was pretty cool, it was a father daughter team, she had drawn the tag. She got a cow, then a few hours later when I was packing back out a boy scout troop crested the saddle to help haul it out for them! The more help you have getting one out the better. Good Luck!

  3. #3

    Thumbs up

    Ship Creek?
    Yes, you can do the registration ON LINE.
    There are several good options for accessing this hunt. I would whole lot rather see a lot of bulls get taken up there than to get run over, when they make their trip to town as the snow gets deeper. There are some good bulls up there.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  4. #4

    Thumbs up

    Don't forget to stay up til midnight tonight, if you want to register for this hunt online. Or be the first in line at the office in the morning. If you snooze you looze.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  5. #5
    New member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    ANCH.
    Posts
    488

    Default stay up if you want

    but according to F&G in anchorage(the four behind the counter) the registration WILL NOT START UNTIL 8 AM even online. My buddy is planning on being there at least an hour early.

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Don't forget to stay up til midnight tonight, if you want to register for this hunt online. Or be the first in line at the office in the morning. If you snooze you looze.

  6. #6
    Member AKFishOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Eagle River (Home!)
    Posts
    1,285

    Default

    For those that logged in at 8AM to get tags the web site has crashed, BTW the ADF&G web site is less than friendly and full of lots of data most all of which is not organized, I call it a brainstorm web site, like something then make a new page, good info but just organized poorly, in my opinion. Or said another way content is good, knowledge management is very poor.

  7. #7
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,393

    Default

    Yep, I've been trying to get my permit for the past 15 minutes. No luck. Looks like I won't be hunting this permit after all.

  8. #8
    Member AKFishOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Eagle River (Home!)
    Posts
    1,285

    Default

    I imagine they opened it at 8AM as last year with tags starting a midnight most if not all were gone by opening of the stores, so last year it favored the person who got the tag on line, this year at the counter... most recent update is:

    Service temporary unavailable!

    The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime

  9. #9
    Member AKFishOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Eagle River (Home!)
    Posts
    1,285

    Default

    40 minutes into it I have one in the cart for my son but keeps timing out still, making progress but not much.

  10. #10
    Member TWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    3,573

    Default

    Wonder how many will put in, get a permit then bail cuz they didnt realize there is atleast a 4mile hike in, 1 way, partially down hill lol
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

  11. #11
    New member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    ANCH.
    Posts
    488

    Default Got one

    My buddy was at the F&G office in Anchorage. He showed up at 5:20am and there were 8 people in line in front of him. Took him and some others coffee. He got his and we are finishing the gear gathering to be ready at the last minute. Good luck to the reat of you.

  12. #12
    Member AKFishOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Eagle River (Home!)
    Posts
    1,285

    Default

    8 people in line at 5:20 AM...ouch Last year shot one after walking 2 miles from my car, left house at 9AM, call friend with horses he came in after shooting it and I was home in time for dinner, just before 5PM, it does not require 4 miles of walking you just need to know how to get there.

  13. #13
    Member TWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    3,573

    Default

    Depends on the route, true.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

  14. #14
    Member AKFishOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Eagle River (Home!)
    Posts
    1,285

    Default

    Server back down never made it to check out the cart for the son, guess should have seen this and went down town. I think they might as well remove this one from on line registration. Good luck to those that got permits, if you want to know what worked for me last year send me a PM.

  15. #15
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,393

    Default

    I just got into the site, and RM 435 isn't listed. I'm guessing they're all gone by this time. What a disappointment. Maybe next year I'll take the day off of work if I still need a moose by this point in the year.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    96

    Default Lesson learned

    I started checking at about 7:55am and RM 435 had not shown up yet. Right at 8am it showed up and the site immediately started freezing and crashing. I kept at it for an hour but to no avail.

    I guess I will chalk this one up to a lesson learned. Better to do it in person for a hunt this popular.

  17. #17
    Member AKFishOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Eagle River (Home!)
    Posts
    1,285

    Default RM435 Closed

    I managed to finally get the next button to work on the cart but this is what it says now Closed!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  18. #18
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    144

    Default Got it....

    Took 1 hr and 13 min before I could print out the actual permit. Constant server timeout but finally made it through......

    Been throught the Highland side a bunch of times, this should be interesting with snow on the ground!!! LOL

  19. #19
    Member ironartist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Meadow Lakes
    Posts
    1,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKFishOn View Post
    call friend with horses he came in after shooting it and I was home in time for dinner, just before 5PM, it does not require 4 miles of walking you just need to know how to get there.
    A guy I knew got one and he wants me to bring my horse in for packing it out, Whats the trail like getting him in there is it rocky, steep? I'd like to find out what I am getting him in for? Help, knowlage? Trailheads?
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

  20. #20

    Default

    If your going up Highland, the trail in is steep and with all this rain, slippery too I would imagine. You might also be able to access it up Arctic Valley rd but I don't know too much about that trail.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •