Thread: Some Days...

Default Some Days...

Most days, in my struggles with the dragon, the firebreather wins, but not yesterday.
    Day started out a bit weird. Local officer comes in (also a brother in one of them there fraternal organizations) looking for a donation for a local family who's yet to be born baby's last images revealed that many of it's organs are developing outside of it's tiny body. Many future medical bills in the works for that officer and his family, so the store donates half of a little octagon Henry .22. Having raised 10 kids, and all developed absolutely perfectly at birth, I felt I needed to do a bit more and pulled a bill out of my wallet and asked if that'd help along the way.......
    Later in the day, a "kid" comes in (anyone who's at least 20 years younger than me is a kid, don't get offended, I'm just getting 'old') and says he's been divorced and wants to sell some jewelry and had a larger WalMart bag with something in that needed more investigation. We're not dealing jewelry anymore, so he pulls out a Colt 1991A1 in a Galco shoulder rig, and three Colt magazines. I asked "how much", and about fell over, then put blisters on my hand pulling money out when he replied "I was thinkin' I needed a hunnert bucks out of it".......Plastic parts be darned, the thing came home for that price!!!!
    Only problem is that I brought it home, laid it on the table, kissed Momma, then she picked it up and decided she'd like it a LOT, just like she took over my old S&W K38, and my Model 19, and........

Quote Originally Posted by Darreld Walton View Post

and........
    Boy, that's a big word, isn't it. My wife has decided she likes every one of my guns she's tried, and immediately starts calling them hers. Can you believe it! I guess it beats the alternative of having a wife who hates to shoot, or even worse, hates that you shoot.

So far I've been able to convince her that my big bores really recoil too much for her to try....

Quote Originally Posted by Darreld Walton View Post
    Only problem is that I brought it home, laid it on the table, kissed Momma, then she picked it up and decided she'd like it a LOT, just like she took over my old S&W K38, and my Model 19, and........
    That's just about how I lost my Para Ord p-13! Though, she still lets me shoot it from time to time.

I'll say a prayer for that family.

Default There's this one, though...

I built up a little 'Twede', a nice Turkish M98 that I had the receiver re-contoured, then mounted a spankin' new M38 Husky 6.5 Swede barrel to, chambered it up, and put it into an interesting little piece of walnut.
    I'd bought the wife an M94 Winchester Trapper in .357 right after we met, and she was busy perforating soda cans with it at the range when I pulled the Mauser out. I shoulda known that I was in deep kimchi when her head snapped 'round and her eyeballs locked on that rifle, I also knew that the 94 wasn't gonna be adequate for an elk hunt we had coming up, so I had her sit down with the 6.5 to see if it'd 'beat ya up too much' thinkin, of course, that she'd lose interest in it after the hunt, and it'd go back in the rack on 'my' side. Yah, right! Since then, M38 barrels has done dried up, and so have them $39.00 Mausers, and the 'smith who did the receiver work got a third DUI while on probation for his first one, waiting trial for a second, and decided to skeedaddle outta the country.
    I've thought about 'rasslin' her for my guns back, but then I remember she grew up second to the youngest of eight kids with four big brothers, on a dairy farm in the NE end of the Snake River Valley, where she held her own against all comers, and I think better of it.

I miss that rifle.....

And, yes, it IS great having a 'significant other' who likes to hunt, shoot, fish, camp, and cook over the coals of a camp fire. First wife had absolutely ZERO interest in anything that existed outside of the living room or the mall, and saw my guns as competition in the same way as that little red-head that lived down the street who kept makin' googledy eyes at me...
    Last edited by Darreld Walton; 09-28-2009 at 05:20. Reason: ...