Thread: Question on Kodiak Deer Tags

Default Question on Kodiak Deer Tags

So I am heading to Kodiak here in a week for a goat hunt. Plan on getting 3 deer tags in case I happen upon some. Anyways, say I fill one or two of my deer harvest tags. Then I will be going on an archery goat hunt on the road system the following month, could I bring that extra deer tag in case there is a fluke and we see a deer? Then I could apply my remaining tag towards the one deer allowed in that area?? Or since I filled atleast one of the deer harvest in the other area my last tag is void?? I know my question is clear as mud and I should call F&G but they aren't open until Monday in which case I'll give them a jingle.

Thanks for any info.

Cool

I think that is one of the best questions on here but I do not have an answer for you. I was wondering the same thing last night when I was looking over the regs.

I believe you are right on with your assessment. The road system limit is one, once you take a deer from another area, you have filled your bag limit for the road system. Work from the lowest and go up. The road system has a different season than the rest of the Island, so take a look at that also.

Quote Originally Posted by jtm9 View Post
    I believe you are right on with your assessment. The road system limit is one, once you take a deer from another area, you have filled your bag limit for the road system. Work from the lowest and go up. The road system has a different season than the rest of the Island, so take a look at that also.
    Yeah thats kinda what I figure, but come Monday I'll get the info from the horse's mouth. Yeah I realize the road system hunt is Nov. 1-14 for archery. I plan on hunting goats (hopefully just packing since I hope to have my goat tag filled at this point) from Nov. 3rd-6th. Thanks again for the info, just to need confirm what we suspect to be the case now. If its the case that one deer anywhere else on the island voids a chance on the road system, just means I dropped some pack weight as I won't be hauling my bow along

You also have to pass the ADF&G archery certification course to hunt that Nov 1-14 road system opening. Same for muzzleloader. And yeah, once you've used your #1 tag, you can't shoot any deer on the Kodiak road system- even if you used your #1 tag in Southeast or PWS.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    You also have to pass the ADF&G archery certification course to hunt that Nov 1-14 road system opening. Same for muzzleloader. And yeah, once you've used your #1 tag, you can't shoot any deer on the Kodiak road system- even if you used your #1 tag in Southeast or PWS.
    Thanks guys. Yep I have my IBEP card. However, looks like unless I don't score a goat or deer from earlier Kodiak hunts, I'll just be a packer which is fine with me and leave my bow at home. Thanks for all the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Thanks guys. Yep I have my IBEP card. However, looks like unless I don't score a goat or deer from earlier Kodiak hunts, I'll just be a packer which is fine with me and leave my bow at home. Thanks for all the help.
    It would be very unfortunate if you had to pass on a great long haired Nov goat SO, I will step up and take one for the team and take the first Goat next week
    Now that I think about it, what a shame it would be for you to miss out on the chance to take a truly large Nov blacktail in the rut, better let me go ahead and take my 3 first there too
    Man the things I am willing to endure for a friend

Default Team player

I admire your willingness to take one for the team, Jon. I guess I could help out too... launche- I would also feel bad letting you miss out later so I will also volunteer to shoot first next week when we go. It's going to be tough, but I guess I'll be a team player too