Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Di403 bison hunt

Default Di403 bison hunt

We are getting packed up to go to Delta for our first bison hunt. This is also will be the first hunt my wife and daughter. We are able to hunt on Oct 1st which is the opening of the season.

Any advise from other who may have had this tag? We are packing sharp knives, game bags, meat packs and other gear. Do we need 4-wheelers or should I leave them at home? If we are fortunate enough to get one my wife does not want a full mount , but what have others done with the hide?

Any advise anyone has would be appreciated.

Thumbs up

Good luck on your hunt Rod! My niece drew a Delta Bison tag this year and will be up there shortly hunting as well. Its there first time as well. Hope the weather cooperates and the Bison do as well.

Rob

Where will you be hunting, private land or public? If you're hunting public land you may want to take a 4-wheeler to help you pack out a bison if you get one.

I'm waiting on my shoulder mount of the cow I took last year to get done at the taxidermist. I had the remainder of the hide tanned. When you say your wife doesn't want a full mount do mean a shoulder mount? For many this is a once in a lifetime hunt, I would definately be talking my wife into a shoulder mount. At least a European mount and a fully tanned hide.

Default been there done that

My wife had the tag about 7 years ago and took a very nice bull. Had a shoulder mount done - it is huge and takes up a lot of our living room but we're still very glad we did it. The back hide lays over the back of the couch and has held up to years of the cat sharpening its claws.

We took a 4-wheeler. Shot the bull on farm ground so the ATV was not needed, but if he had run back off the field very far I would have been very glad to have it. As it was the tilting trailer was a real bonus anyway. Tilted it up next to the slabs of buffalo we had on a tarp on the ground and pretty much rolled them up on the trailer. The next morning I transfered them to the back of the truck for the drive home.
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Arrow mount the bison

Quote Originally Posted by AK Wonderer View Post
    I would definately be talking my wife into a shoulder mount. At least a European mount and a fully tanned hide.
    Yes, let your wife know that this tag officially warrants an exception to the "no dead animals in the house" rule...

Though I don't agree with a European mount for a bison. Much of its natural beauty is within its "fro", beard, and (sorry to say, Mrs. Rod) its leggings; the last of which is only preserved in a full frontal mount. And none of which are preserved with a European mount.

Do understand that a full frontal mount is darn near as expensive as a full body mount, but its the only way that the leggings can be properly preserved and though it does take up some space it will take half the space of a full body mount.

I had decided on a shoulder mount for my bison until he was down - stopped and fell in his tracks with a single shot - but once I saw up close how glorious his leggings were, I had to have the full frontal mount. And now 15 years later he is still well preserved and I've been happy ever since with my decision.

Bring lots of help to haul, and don't think about merely quartering. Even after sixthing mine it took two people to just lift most parts of him.

Nice work getting the tag; please post a hunt report here to help out those of us that keep applying for the tag you drew!

FamilyMan can you post pics of your Bison mount I would love to see a full frontal of one. Seen a few goats like that and agree the leggings/pantaloons are great!

Default Starting date 28 Oct

Appreciate all the tips from previous bison hunters. If successful, I can't see doing anything more than a European. I'm not even interested in the hide. Maybe I'll give it to someone. Any takers?

PM sent, Have a great hunt!!!

Default pic

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    FamilyMan can you post pics of your Bison mount I would love to see a full frontal of one. Seen a few goats like that and agree the leggings/pantaloons are great!
    PM sent.
    ----------------------------- <- (msg too short.... argh)

Default the hide

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    Appreciate all the tips from previous bison hunters. If successful, I can't see doing anything more than a European. I'm not even interested in the hide. Maybe I'll give it to someone. Any takers?
    I think taxidermists often will buy your hide from you or trade the work of your European Mount for the hide. There's always clients that have hair slip on a hide and are looking for a replacement. Maybe I'm wrong on this, but it might be worth checking.

Default Bison Hunt

I think we will be hunting on private land, however I will bring a 4-wheeler just in case. If we have it I may not need it. I do have the wall space in our living room (I am sure I can convince my wife to do a shoulder mount) and beside the other critters need a friend . I think if we are fortunate enough to get one I will have the remainder of the hide tanned out.

I really do not have any clear idea how "big" a bison is going to be. I am sure there will be more to handle than my wife, daughter and I are expecting. Most suggest Delta Meats for processing? I usually process my own so this will be new for me. FamilyMan you sixthed your bison and still took two to carry out - wow, I am guessing we will have to eighth it to get it out. My daughter is young and my wife hasn't ever packed before with game this will be a new experience for both of them. Were you able to drive close to it once it was down? I have a couple of game saws I guess I will bring both of them. Sharp knives, sharpener, game bags, anything I am missing?

Thanks in advance. I really hope to have a good hunt especially since my wife and daughter are joining me.

Default things to bring

Quote Originally Posted by Rod123 View Post
    I have a couple of game saws I guess I will bring both of them. Sharp knives, sharpener, game bags, anything I am missing?
    Rope and maybe a come-along. I tied a leg to my truck and pulled it into the position I wanted for piecing it up, gutting etc. Bring big game bags.

Default bison

I harvested a bull in March last year with beautiful, thick hair. I am having a shoulder mount done, the back half of the hide tanned and a european mount. I am glad I did this because chances are I will never be able to hunt wild bison again.

One thing that we brought was a battery powered sawsal. (sp ?) This worked well for the rib cage until the batteries died due to the extreme cold weather.

Enjoy this hunt. One of the greatest hunting experiences in my life. I had to put a lot of time and effort into it but it was worth all of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnivore View Post
    Rope and maybe a come-along. I tied a leg to my truck and pulled it into the position I wanted for piecing it up, gutting etc. Bring big game bags.
    My buddy drew last year. Rope and a come along are a really good idea for a number of reasons. He got a shoulder mount done, and tanned the rest. We ended up tying off to the bison, and using the truck to pull it into position so we could butcher it. He brought a small generator, and a saw zaw(spell?). It worked super well in the super cold weather, just made things a little faster. We cut it up into 6 pieces, and had no problems handling them, the hide, or the head, but we are both over 6 foot and over 200 lbs. All in in all it was an awesome hunt, and I was glad he invited me to tag along! I hope I get to draw that permit someday. Also what gets lost in all this, is that it is by far the best tasting game meat I have ever eaten.

Rod
    Good luck on your hunt. I will be up there on the 1st with ya. I am getting pretty excited for this. My wife is going too and I think she talks more about this hunt then I do. How long are you planning on staying up there? Do you know where you are going to be staying? I'll be at the silverfox.

Delta has been getting snow the past couple days, so make sure to bring some warm clothes Hope everything works out for ya!

Default I drew this permit several years ago

I also drew for the opener and found success! We stayed at the Silver Fox cabins and found the accomodations to be very nice. We also towed wheelers up, but never even started them! On this early hunt, we hunted on private land and were able to drive the pickup everywhere along the farmer's roads. We drove right up the bison, jumped out and BOOO YAAAAA! I must say that it was very tough to get that guy on the ground... we used a 30-06 and a 375... So, don't expect them to fall like a moose!

I must say that this wasn't the greatest "hunt" that I've been on, but it was awesome nonetheless... and the steaks.... oh baby! my mouth is watering just like Pavlov's dog!

By the way, I did a shoulder mount and a European (minus the horns; horn core only)... they are great! This also was the beginning of the end of "no dead animals in the house"!

Good luck!

Post dropping a bison

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanfishguides View Post
    I must say that it was very tough to get that guy on the ground... we used a 30-06 and a 375... So, don't expect them to fall like a moose!
    The bad news: Neither a lung or heart shot will drop a bison anytime soon; even through the heart they will run too far and to a very bad (for you) place.

The good news: You can drop him in his tracks, but there is only one shot that will do it; break his neck. No other shot will do it.

The worse news: Its really hard to "find" the neck due to the hump, and the large mass, and the fact that anyone that has the opportunity to do it usually has never done it before.

The slightly better news: Bison vertebrae are about 6" in diameter. Seriously, they're way bigger than you could imagine.

Also sizing bison is harder than most animals. Don't look at the horns; that will mislead; young bison have close to the same size horns as large bison. Look at the 'fro, only. You're looking for the bull whose 'fro rises above the horns by the most. A nice trophy will have a 'fro that rises multiple inches above both horns.

My dad drew the 7th opener, but we won't be able to make it until the 15th. Have a couple of ranches lined out, and one friend of the family is letting us use his cabin. Should be a good time with my dad, brother and I. He put in for all of 1 years and he draws the tag. Wish I could have that kind of luck.

Good luck to all you guys, hope you bag a big bull! Here's a picture for reference on what you are up against. I shot this bull in Montana in December, 2007.

Default age?

Did you try to get an age on this guy? I'm guessing he's a 4 - 5 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    Here's a picture for reference on what you are up against. I shot this bull in Montana in December, 2007.

5-6 years old is what they told us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast