Thread: New to fly fishing

Default New to fly fishing

I have tinkered with fly fishing on and off, but have never had much luck or direction to go off of. This fall, I got into some Grayling, and due to their nature of eating anything presented, I was able to actually have some success with the fly rod (although I'm sure my presentation, casting, fly choice, and everything else would have made any purist die of laughter). I would like to find someone to go with for some rainbows who could give a training session so to speak. I'd be willing to do the driving, and I'm sure you would get free comic relief as I attempt to get the hang of things!

A sense of humor and some patience is a must though!
    Although some can call it Catchin', I still have to call it fishin'.

arcticat500,
    Where you located? I will be in the valley first week of Oct and could go during the week to Willow and work with you or on the lakes around Wasilla.

George

I'm in Eagle River. My wife is returning from a 6 month deployment on the 5th, but I can probably talk her into letting me get out for a day toward the end of the week.

Spend the time with the wife dude, fishing will always be there. Lets hook up for coffee at least, I would drive to Eagle River to meet you.

George

Default Meeting

Fill me in on the meeting time and I will join as well. I'm in Eagle River, so maybe a pizza man or jitters meeting perhaps?

well if you make it to the interior, there is still a late run of coho's going on (for fun, not edible at all). Along with a few grayling around. I have fri/sat's off. Doubt I'll be able to make it down your way anytime soon though I'd love to hit the anchor for steelies SOMEDAY!...and maybe float with AK Chuck for bows on the kenai cough cough.

You're probably right! However she is a very understanding woman!!! PMs sent with contact info.

Quote Originally Posted by arcticat500 View Post
    I have tinkered with fly fishing on and off, but have never had much luck or direction to go off of. This fall, I got into some Grayling, and due to their nature of eating anything presented, I was able to actually have some success with the fly rod (although I'm sure my presentation, casting, fly choice, and everything else would have made any purist die of laughter). I would like to find someone to go with for some rainbows who could give a training session so to speak. I'd be willing to do the driving, and I'm sure you would get free comic relief as I attempt to get the hang of things!

A sense of humor and some patience is a must though!
    Same here with the dabbling. What little I do know about flyfishing was taught to me a long time ago by a couple of friends.

I just started getting back into it recently due to events beyond my control such as a killer sale on Fenwick HMG flyrods at Cabela's.

Anyways, in absence of studying under the expert tootledge of some of some of our members, there's a book you may wish to purchase on the subject titled "Flyfishing, First Cast to First Fish!" by Joseph F. Petralia.

It's a "how to" guide that covers just about everything you need to know. SW has it for $15.
    Now what ?

here's another goodie..for new guys and guys who always end up teaching. great on stream guide,it's cheap, and wont get destroyed if kept in your vest/pack

http://www.amazon.com/reader/1931676...dp%5Fpt#reader

Sportsmans has them...I have had one since I began and she's still kickn.

Thanks for the direction fellas! Hopefully I will soon be posting some pictures of success!

Winter time is good for reading. Flyfishing is easier than you perhaps think. There is a dvd by Lefty Kreh I got that taught me how to cast. It is a straight forward no nonsense and easy to understand dvd. Worth three times what I paid for it. Several other books specific to Alaska were of great utility as well. Most can be bought on the forum store in the fishing section. Pick up a few of the below titles and come spring you will hit the ground with more knowledge than you know what to do with.

DVD from flyfishing legend Lefty Kreh...

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...set=ISO-8859-1

Books...

"Topwater, Flyfishing Alaska.." by Troy Letherman and Tony Weaver - tells you how to fish, flies to use, where (generally) and when to go. A must have book for sure.

"Flyfisher's Guide to Alaska" by Scott Haugen -tons of maps, tells you where to go with specific instructions on how to get there. Great resource.

"Alaska Fishing" by Gunnar Pederson - Just a great book and each fish has a chapter with tons of info on spin and flyfishing techniques/timing/locales/lures/flies/etc...
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.