Thread: Ft Rich Success

Talking Ft Rich Success

Today I filled my Ft Rich any bull tag thanks to my friend Mark. Even though it was pouring rain we got up this morning and headed out to Bull Dog trail. We were headed towards an area he knew about and didn't make it there before we stumbled on a cow. Mark started calling and making grunts. I walked up the trail and a nice little bull came charging over the hill towards Mark. Mark had his back turned and didn't see the bull right away. The bull saw him turned and headed towards me. The bull stopped and was still grunting in response to Mark. He gave me a perfect broadside shot from about 30 yards. Took it a clean shot. Thought it was a complete pass through but later found the last 2 inches of the arrow imbedded in his ribs. The rest was never found. He only ran about 50 yards, stopped I took another shot, way underestimated the distance and ended him hitting his front leg. The arrow still fractured the bone as he limped about another 20 yards and then dropped. The cow we had originally seen refused to leave the area. She hung out even after we gutted him and headed back to the truck for the packs. With 1 hour of leaving the trucks this morning we had a bull down. Within five hours we had him loaded up and heading for the processor.

I owe a lot of thanks to Mark, without him, one I might have gotten so lucky, and if I did I might still be out there butchering the moose instead of sitting here typing on the computer having a glass of wine.

This was my 4th day of hunting. I had seen a really nice 50-60" bull in area 412 but blew the stalk. The other two days I didn't see a thing (unless you count spruce grouse and shrews).

Steve
    Last edited by alaskariverguy; 09-26-2009 at 21:56. Reason: add more

WTG river dude! I have 2 months left to hunt on my Fairbanks Management Area antlerless tag. With any luck tomorrow, I will be eating moose for dinner as well.

Thanks, and I forgot to mention if any of the Ft Rich hunters want the GPS coordinates of where I saw that other really nice bull let me know. Just email me at wildalaskaservices@yahoo.com That bull responded really well to the calling I did, mostly thrashing the brushes and scraping trees. He either saw me or smelled and me and took off and a good trot.

Steve

Not allowed to post without a picture.... Great job on the moose.

Yeah, i agree, not allowed to post a sucess thread with out a pic. just kiddin, congrats, got one on Ft rich last december, i love that hunt.

Default Congrats

I've been trying like a mad man. One cow. Sent you an e-mail for the GPS coordinates. How about a picture.

Congrats on getting your bull alaskariverguy, that Ft Rich hunt sure is a blast! A good friend of mine and I are headed out after work, we know where a 60" plus bull is located and will try to put him down tonight. Can't wait to get out there and do some calling!!

About four people have asked for coordinates so I am sending it to everyone. The coordinates are:

n 61 17.701

w149 38.024

He was heading west when I heard him and responded to brush thrashing and tree scraping. He responded and at first I thought it sounded so fake that it must be other hunters. When he left he headed to the northeast at a fair trot. Didn't see him again the next time I went out but there were lots of moose, trails and scat. I went from the south of there off a side road off the powerline road. There is a bench with an arrow sign on it, when you see that turn west and follow that side road up the hill and then it should angle back to the right. From there head kinda west by north west and you should start to see lots of trails. If the directions don't make sense let me know and I will try and figure out another way of describing it. Upset that I blew the track on that one as he is a really nice bull and he was coming right to me. If it happens to you be patient, if you think he is responding to your calls, sit and wait. I am happy with the 33" I got but it would have been nice to get something worthy of putting on the wall. good luck!

Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs up

That's a great picture with the cow in the background. Congrats on your bull and good on ya for helping others out!

That cow would not leave regardless of the cell phone calls, gutting her boyfriend, the high fiving, yelling etc. It took her about 30 minutes before she finally gave up and wandered off in seach of new love.

Steve

Default Very nice!

Thanks for posting! Awesome getting one with a bow!

Ha!!! I love that pic with the cow in the background, thats awesome.

Great picture...

I can't wait for Dec to come around..
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default cool pics

Thanks for posting the pictures and the information about the other bull. I've been hunting hard and so far all I have seen is cows. I had a nice black bear standing 40yards in front of me. I quess he knew I couldn't shoot him. The good thing is I have plenty of time left.

I had a blackpowder permit about 10 years ago, saw a bull the first day and then went a month and half before I finally saw another one and got him. Everyone says that the Ft Rich hunt is a gimmie. I certainly think that while it is a nice and close hunt, you still have to put forward a lot of time and effort or just get lucky like I did. Good luck to you guys that got permits!

Agreed alaskariverguy, this hunt is not a gimmie, I had the bow tag last year and put in over 30 days of hunting and never got a shot off. It's still a great hunt though and I will be putting in for it again this winter.

Wow, what a great picture. I hope your going to frame that one. How cool!!!!!
    Bob

Become one with Nature......... Then Marinade it.